Slightly freaking out!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilsonBarberCo

Reaction score
I'm about to offer someone a job in my barbershop (she came in for a chat earlier in the week, and for a trade test). I was very impressed with her, and would love her to work here. And I could definitely do with the help!

Anyway, that's not the problem. I just don't know where to start with telling HMRC/sorting payroll/sorting insurance etc.

Aaaaarghhh. Someone tell me that I'm just worrying about nothing please! Please help! Is employing someone really the administrative headache it appears to be?! Where do I start?

Thanks in advance!

I don't employ yet but hope to in the future. Have you looked on the HMRC website I find it really useful and if I'm still stuck I ring them to ask, the people I've spoken to on there are nice and helpful and can easily find the correct information you need so I tend to do that rather than get old or duff info and get it all wrong xx

Thank you, yeah I've been looking on the HMRC website. Looking for personal experiences too if anyone has any?

It's so exciting and scary at the same time!

Hi I employ my daughter all legit and above board. Do it one step at a time. I downloaded the free software and realised it is a lot easier than I thought but mind boggling if I tried to understand it all at once. I applied for a government gateway number to access the areas I needed. Be really careful and make sure you're on the correct site as there are a lot of scams and I now get lots of emails telling me there is a problem with my accounting etc and just click here. Fortunately I'm deeply suspicious of everybody so haven't been caught out yet!
I found them really helpful when I rang up and the whole thing has been straightforward.
The other side of it is contracts etc which is a whole different area.

Good luck

Vicki x

Your accountant can do everything. Mine costs five pounds per employee per month for payroll.

Thanks ladies! I don't use an accountant, I prefer to do everything myself so I'll just start working my way through things this weekend! :)

Latest posts

Back