Slippery Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashlash

Reaction score
My sister-in-law cannot get Shellac to last on her. I saw her today. Her manicure looked beautifully applied and she already has one chip on her index finger!!

She has soft nails and flakey due to 6 years of acrylic wear and I have tried and tried with her. It seems to happen whoever applies it.

She uses Solar Oil avidly and although occasionally washes up without gloves I would say she is reasonably careful.

Are her nails to dry or too brittle? They certainly don't look too oily. Is there anything else I can try - any CND products which can be used to get the Shellac to hold on her nails?

Help please - the most she ever gets is 5/6/7 days before she soaks off and has a new set. She soaks off herself with acetone - not D-solve. Could this make a difference?

Thanks!!

Soft, flaky nails are not suited for Shellac. It's probably not the Shellac chipping, it's her nail peeling taking the Shellac with it.

Personally, I would remove it, have her use Solar Oil at least 2x daily, then reapply in a few weeks when her nails are in better condition. HTH! :)

Have just found out that her last manicurist cured base coat for 2 x 10 secs which might not have helped? I will talk to her tomorrow xx

Hi flashlash, CND recommends a 10 second cure for base, two mins. for color and top coat.

yes will defo advise her against 10 sec cure of base coat. I only ever do 10 sec. Thanks

Help please - the most she ever gets is 5/6/7 days before she soaks off and has a new set. She soaks off herself with acetone - not D-solve. Could this make a difference?

Thanks!!

I agree with deanosnana on this and I would suggest she give her nails a break and use plenty of Solar oil.

Using acetone instead of Dsolve wouldn't cause a problem, although soaking off her Shellac every week will only make the problem worse, as it will only dehydrate her nails even more as Shellac is only meant to be soaked off every 2 weeks.

My own nails were very thin, damaged and flaky when I first used Shellac and I had the odd little chip after about 10 days with them initially until the damage grew out... once it did, my nails improved and although they are still thin, they are in great condition now thanks to Shellac.

Hopefully once she gets her nails back to normal she can use Shellac successfully, but if not, she ,may need to go back to using an enhancement product like gel or acrylic.

HTHs

Latest posts

Back