Small business owners

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph86

Reaction score
Hi geeks, my boyfriend was self employed and rented a garage for years- only ending last year.

We was talking about business rates... He said that now small businesses depending on sq ft of building don't have to pay business rates?! As he didn't have to. This was to help small businesses.

Is this still the case? What about home salons?

I have a home salon and because less than 30% of the building is used for business I don't have to pay business rates...I'm guessing this varies from council to council :)

I have a home salon and because less than 30% of the building is used for business I don't have to pay business rates...I'm guessing this varies from council to council :)

Thank you :)

I had also wondered if the small business no business rates varied from each council too. But thats great to know! Xx

I get 100% business rates relief. It's dependant on your rateable value.

I get 100% business rates relief. It's dependant on your rateable value.

Me too, make sure to check with your council, they should be able to tell you over the phone if you have the relevant information. X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Aww fab! I thought he had it wrong, but good to hear :) yes if i was to open up id check with the council xx

Can someone help me on this please... Just rang the council as I'm hoping to take on a salon. Business rate relief goes from year to year and could change at any time? She said it used to be 50% rate relief now it's 100% but it could go down to 0% and then you are left paying (in my case) £1900 per year!!
Have I got that right?! X

Can someone help me on this please... Just rang the council as I'm hoping to take on a salon. Business rate relief goes from year to year and could change at any time? She said it used to be 50% rate relief now it's 100% but it could go down to 0% and then you are left paying (in my case) £1900 per year!!
Have I got that right?! X

Yes, it depends on your local council as they all have different rates, I get 100 % rate relief, but it isn't guaranteed year to year, depending on sq footage of the premises, plus I was told it only is applicable on a first time business owner x

were a new salon and we pay business rates. just over £200 pm :( depressing lol but they said next year it should go down for us to around £130 pm.

were a new salon and we pay business rates. just over £200 pm :( depressing lol but they said next year it should go down for us to around £130 pm.

Why next year?

Mine is 100% relief also .

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back