Smilequest - teeth whitening

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello JenSta

Just been reading about the problems you have had with the new teeth whitening system. I too have purchased one and have just paid out £1,974 for 8 trays of the whitening gel (on top of over £5,500 for the system and not to mention other costs . I need some good advise soon! How did you get on with the company you purchased the system from? Any luck with returning it? Would realy appreciate your reply JenSta, feel like crying after reading all the comments on the teeth whitening.

Polly1

Call me and I'll help if I can (are you Pauline? I've left you a message with my mobile number!).

Don't despair or feel like crying - under certain circumstances we can help!

Regards

PHILIP SWINFORD
Marketing Services Manager
BABTAC

I am soooo glad I only ran the clinic to be honest, it could have spelt the end for us.

Am also gutted to hear about everyone else who got stung, hope you all get sorted soon.

well i did warn you...............:rolleyes:

Sorry but you didn't so don't roll your eyes at me.
You just kept saing it wasn't legal... many other people say it is.

Reason I am so glad I didn't buy the equipment is because it was a flop, customers just wasn't interested and my insurance was much more expensive.

Peoples business's are affected here, it shouldn't be made into a "I told you so" sort of thing and this is not the place to rub salt into the wound.

various treatments provided by dentists are classed as cosmetic,tooth bleaching is not classed as clinically necessary -hence it is classed as a cosmetic procedure - this does not imply that it is legal for non dentists to perform!

as I said contact the general dental council - after all if it is legal then you have nothing to worry about, and any intelligent business person would want to ensure that any investment they make was secure and legal.

the facts are that the gdc class tooth bleaching as a procedure that should be carried out by dentists only, yes it is illegal for a dentist to use more than 0.1 percent, which is why they do not generally advertise the fact that they use 16 and 22 percent hp.

they don't need to advertise, smilequest agents do, smilequest agents will have a much tougher time in court than a qualified dentist
do you really want to take such a big risk with £18000 of your hard earned cash????

dentists do not invest £18000 they just buy the bleach and perform the treatment
how many of you would perform a breast enlargement operation??/ this is classed as a cosmetic treatment, somehow I cant see many people going to their hairdresser or nail technician for this kind of procedure and I don't think a hairdresser would assume that they are qualified to perform such a procedure even if they paid £18000 for a two day course, (although reading some of the above posts i cant be certain!)

get it????:irked:
If you read his last posts he did infact say more than just it wasn't legal.I do feel for anyone who lost money,we were infact contacted by smilequest ourselves but knowing dentistry and doing our own costings we realised it was a sales package not far from pyramid selling.

Oh and just to add to that I know of one person who was taken in by their 10 patients a day claim,who now has a £15,000 loan over 5 years and so far has done 3 treatments in 4 months.He is landed right in it so to speak,though to be fair any company claiming to earn you thousands a week should be taken with liberal doses of salt.Looks like a lucky escape for some.Good job there are forums like this nowadays:)

Another point to consider apart from the GDC stance is the understanding of the clinical and cosmetic side of the use of hydrogen peroxide etc.The house of lords act was brought about due to concerns regarding the carconogenic properties.To put in laymans terms...if you have a root canal treatment ,HP of 6/7% is used to flush out bacteria from the canal.If you have periodontal probs a mouthwash of the same will be prescribed.Hopefully most people will not need these treatments on a regular basis,and are classed as clinically necessary.However,tooth whitening is not clinically necessary...it is cosmetic.So dentists are allowed to use higher doses in a clinical sense,just not for cosmetic reasons,which could be more often given that people wont stop drinking coffee.tea,red wine etc.THAT is the difference between cosmetic and clinical,NOT that cosmetic means that any joe bloggs is qualified to do it.Just that to use it on a regular basis with no clinical justification could lead to oral cancers.Incidentally its the dentists act 1984,with an amendment 2005:eek:Just a shame the house of lords weren't all sleepy and didn't make it clearer.:irked:Tho if your all 80 plus I guess staying awake is least of your probs..:zzz:For all you out there who bought into these companies,get your money back,whichever way and good luck:wink2:

Lush

For your friend and any others who bought equipment; I have said it here before, but it's worth reiterating - there ARE legal means to get money back.

Take a look at the Latest News page of BABTAC - The Official Site of the British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology, or the last Vitality Dec/Jan. If anyone needs advice they can contact me [email protected], and if you are a member of BABTAC you also have a free legal advice hotline, 24 hours a day, where you can speak to lawyers and get help.

Regards

PHILIP SWINFORD
BABTAC

Thank you Philip,that is very kind of you.I have sent him the info you posted.The site claims of these companies do not actually live up to what 'Therapists' actually get.The two day training consists of one day when they talk about legality etc and the second day consists of you pairing up and doing a treatment on each other.(After they have taken your £1,000 non refundable deposit).Anatomy of head and mouth(as claimed by smilequest) doesn't happen.Inbetween giving her 'training' the tutor takes calls on her mobile from current therapists who are just calling to tell her how busy they are and what a fantastic business oppurtunity they have bought!! Thanks again for the info,I did try warn him and am sure this will help spur him on to accept he has been sold a dud and he needn't go bankrupt after all.:mad:

Hi Geeks

I didn't think I'd be back on this thread, but I think I have some genuinely interesting news for everyone.

At ExCel, whilst wandering around wearing my editor-of-Vitality-Magazine hat, I met two very nice chaps by the names of Gary Hague and James Mansfield, from a company called Sno Spa (telephone 0845 0170 777) - and I think they've cracked this problem!

There's a two-page article in the April/May issue of Vitality posted yesterday, but in brief; Sno Spa are the first company to bring dentists to your salon.

You don't need to buy any expensive equipment or consumables; you don't have to insure or train; you don't have to worry about being legal; you don't have to create any marketing materials; you don't spend any treatment time whitening; and you don't get any flack from potential clients who have read scare stories, from the GDC, Trading Standards or your local dentists.

They provide everything and do everything for you. You simply book what are called Sno Days (5 clients minimum but as many as you can generate with the free marketing stuff they give you) and their dentists come and treat on your premises, with you getting a healthy commission on every treatment. Your client even gets a free check-up; if the dentist spots anything which would be a contraindication or a problem he doesn't treat, and he would advise your client to seek help from their own dentist.

It's legal, safe and cost-free, and to me it blooks like one heck of a selling-point for your clients!

The system is also said to be a unique combined sonic and laser system. I saw a whole bunch of people treated at ExCel and (a) it definitely works and (b) there were no complaints of pain or discomfort.

Sorry if this sounds like an ad - I really and honestly don't have a vested interest, but I've spent the last two years issuing warnings about tooth whitening, and it's like a breath of fresh air being able to recommend something!

They're worth a call - 0845 0170 777 - but they're a relatively new company and their website snospa.com is under reconstruction.

Worth getting in early with a call, I'd have thought?

Regards

PHILIP SWINFORD
BABTAC

No thanks.
If your anything to do with Sunquest your support will be rubbish, your engineers always busy and equipment always breaking down with no out of your office hours contact number:(

I have a smilequest, from someone that had one, but the system says free play, what does that mean, and also it then gives a code and get credit, what does that mean, how do you make the machine live..

Elaine:eek:

Hi Geeks

I didn't think I'd be back on this thread, but I think I have some genuinely interesting news for everyone.

At ExCel, whilst wandering around wearing my editor-of-Vitality-Magazine hat, I met two very nice chaps by the names of Gary Hague and James Mansfield, from a company called Sno Spa (telephone 0845 0170 777) - and I think they've cracked this problem!

There's a two-page article in the April/May issue of Vitality posted yesterday, but in brief; Sno Spa are the first company to bring dentists to your salon.

You don't need to buy any expensive equipment or consumables; you don't have to insure or train; you don't have to worry about being legal; you don't have to create any marketing materials; you don't spend any treatment time whitening; and you don't get any flack from potential clients who have read scare stories, from the GDC, Trading Standards or your local dentists.

They provide everything and do everything for you. You simply book what are called Sno Days (5 clients minimum but as many as you can generate with the free marketing stuff they give you) and their dentists come and treat on your premises, with you getting a healthy commission on every treatment. Your client even gets a free check-up; if the dentist spots anything which would be a contraindication or a problem he doesn't treat, and he would advise your client to seek help from their own dentist.

It's legal, safe and cost-free, and to me it blooks like one heck of a selling-point for your clients!

The system is also said to be a unique combined sonic and laser system. I saw a whole bunch of people treated at ExCel and (a) it definitely works and (b) there were no complaints of pain or discomfort.

Sorry if this sounds like an ad - I really and honestly don't have a vested interest, but I've spent the last two years issuing warnings about tooth whitening, and it's like a breath of fresh air being able to recommend something!

They're worth a call - 0845 0170 777 - but they're a relatively new company and their website snospa.com is under reconstruction.

Worth getting in early with a call, I'd have thought?

Regards

PHILIP SWINFORD
BABTAC

Hi Philip, I have emailed you as I am very worried and upset.

Basically I have just set up as a mobile tooth whitening technician. Now I just want to make this clear, I dont use peroxide as such. The gel I use is sodium perborate which when it comes into contact with water, produces 0.1% peroxide, well below the legal limit.

There has been alot of bad comments etc lately on forums where I have been slagged off saying what im doing is illegal etc. If it is, I did not know this. I was told the procedure is cosmetic not dentistry. I was also told by the training guy, the gels we use are 100% safe. I have to say Ive treated 10 people now, all fine and great results.

However, Im still worried. I trained with Fuss Beauty School who have gone bust and set up again as www.iactw.org.uk. I have found out that the owner goes by several different names and was exposed in 2006 by the Mirror Newspaper for his scams (at the moment, he is Gary Burgess!). I get no support from these people and I am worried now that my certificate is not worth the paper its written on!! I also never received my insurance from them.

To date, including training, printing, website, stock and other materials I have spent out just over £2,500!

Is there any chance I can ever get this back? I am very upset and feel like crying as I just want to earn a living!!!!

If you, or someone could help/advise me I would be most grateful

I think you will find that Sno do use peroxide. I have spoken to them too at the show's. What is illegal about teeth whitening is not the person undertaking the treatment it is about the peroxide strength.

Trading standards have also been investigating dentists in my area re their peroxide levels so you will find most are not advertising their teeth whitening any longer. You cannot prosecute one profession when another is acting illegally and thats the stance that DTI are taking!

I bought some teeth whitening kits on-line (they were only about £9.99) and made sure they were exactly the same as my dentist uses (Carbamide). The results are amazing - I get comments almost every day about the whiteness of my teeth and a lot of my colleagues have asked me to order kits for them too. Even my dentist noticed and when I checked with him that I was OK to use it and that I hadn't done any damage he replied that as much as he would love to tell me not to do it, he can't and he's really impressed with the results. He charges £300+ for the same product, although with that you are paying for proper moulds

Thanks for this Dan.
This may be an old article but it is very current with the high desire for everyone to have whiter teeth. With Professional Beauty and other large Exhibitions pushing Teeth Whitening to the hilt, ALL beauticians need to be made very aware of the legislation.

Charlie100,

Have you read all the Newspapers this week?

Here is link to Which ? magazine article

Illegal tooth whitening exposed

Are you Dentist or do you get Dentist in ?

Have you spoken to your Insurance company about Tooth Whitening?

I called to ask if i can tooth Whiten and at first they said "probably yes", but when i asked for it in writing they then called me ack and told me if anything happens to customer on my premises like burn lip or gums or they get worse Asthma or medical problem, even if I get someone else in to do this, I will be personally liable too, if sued for Tooth Whitening problems, so no they won't cover me or my Salon.

I asked if someone (not Dentist) does it am I OK then, but they said it's my Salon so I could get sued for providing premises and they were sure I'm not covered for anything deemed illegal or maybe harmful, like Tooth Whitening.

They also told me they have stopped any past cover for this and soon will print actual exclusion in policy and said any toothwhitening legal problems could affect my ability to get renewal insurance in future.

Please get proper legal advice as soon as possible to protect yourself and your business - if you are self-employed like me your home/car/savings/family is at risk if sued, not like being employed is it?

Dan.

Latest posts

Back