So confused, just completed nail tech course!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noonoo

Reaction score
Hi all, I just completed a nail tech course at the beauty academy in Cambridge - we did mani and pedi, gel, acrylic, a bit on scupting, nail art and fibreglass.. and I am sooo overwhelmed. It was a 5 day course and you do home study if you want to do the NVQ 2 and have 18 months to complete, but I just feel like it is all too much, and that we covered everything so quickly that I didn't get to learn it all properly.

I've been trying gel and acrylic, and they are okay but have lots of faults, like I get air bubble, and leave faults blending the tips etc. Is this normal or is it just me? I bought all the kit but sent the fibreglass one back as I was too overwhelmed with it all, but I spent 995 on the course and about 400 on the kit, help! xx

Hi,

it is very overwhelming to try and learn all of that in one course. My advise would be to concentrate on one - say the Liquid & Powder and get the nails looking good, then once you have mastered that then bring in the gel - maybe even do a refresher in the gel if you think you need to later on.

If you look in the Tutorials section on here there are some fantastic articles by Geeg on tip application, shaping etc.

http://www.salongeek.com/tutorials/

I agree, thats a lot in 5 days! I struggled to get my head around liquid and powder in 5 days, theres so much to learn and practice and think about. I would pick either liquid and powder or gel and work on that first. Liquid and powder is the hardest i find so i would do that first then the others should come easier. Thats only my opinion tho x

Thank you both for repyling so quickly. I think you're right, doing it all at once is just too much..also finding models is hard when you don't know many people. I actually ended up doing gel sets yesterday, one on a friend and one on myself, but for some reason i find the gel harder than liquid and powder.. I'm using Magnetic gel and it's so stick, but I have bought all of the kit now!

The gels I did are again, not perfect at all.. they look okay but close up I can see air bubbles and faults where I haven't filed the tip well and have removed parts of the tip. Also I think I am applying the gel too thinly.

I will have a look at the tutorial though, thank you xx

Hi Noonoo, welcome to the site btw! Another Lincolnshire Geek - where are you in Lincs? We are holding a Lincs Geek meet soon, you may like to join us.

As for your reason for the thread, it's impossible too learn all those systems in 5 days hun, so don't feel bad about that.
As the others have said, practise with one system first until you get used to how it works, moves on the nail, mix ratio (L&P) etc. Concentrate on tip application too using the info on here.
When you feel comfortable with your 1st system and have more understanding in the way of creating a nail that not only looks good, but stays on, the move on to another system and get to grips with that.
Learning all the basics of tip application, prep procedure with Magnetic is important, get your foundations right xxxx

Thank you, yeah I guess I shouldn't expect to know everything at once..the one plus is that the sets I have done so far have stayed on, so I at least have got something right! I think my main prob is the tip application.. I have been looking at the tutorials though and am going to be practising another set of nails on a family member later.

I'm from Stamford, but live on an army garrison with my husband atm in the South (although he is in Afghanistan now), but had a bit of a stalker a while back so don't advertise where I live if I can help it :) Although I do go back to see family :)

Ness xx

I love your site by the way BevRose, amazing nails!

Noonoo don't worry you just need practice

Hey noonoo....

I've just joined the site but searched through for some help and info on nails... I too myself have paid and booked a nail tech course (Mines is a 3 day course). Got a bit worried reading your message so was just wondering how your finding nails now, notice your last post was over 6 months ago... lol

I don't know about anyone else but I have learned myself a lot about all nail types and most systems. Reading through lots and lots of pages and writing things down and going back, best thing to do I think personally!! I bought a £50 kit from ebay, the acrylic was total garbage, as for the gel - it wouldn't cure!! I had my sisters hand under the uv lamp for like an hour lol...

Any info on your best system would be great!!

Hey noonoo....

I've just joined the site but searched through for some help and info on nails... I too myself have paid and booked a nail tech course (Mines is a 3 day course). Got a bit worried reading your message so was just wondering how your finding nails now, notice your last post was over 6 months ago... lol

I don't know about anyone else but I have learned myself a lot about all nail types and most systems. Reading through lots and lots of pages and writing things down and going back, best thing to do I think personally!! I bought a £50 kit from ebay, the acrylic was total garbage, as for the gel - it wouldn't cure!! I had my sisters hand under the uv lamp for like an hour lol...

Any info on your best system would be great!!

CND is the answer!! I did a training like noonoo but not at same academy. We were taught to use crappy products ie Mercia and I hated it! I've converted to Cnd and I am loving it!! Can't wait to get up every morning and start to practice on my fake hand lol - I love Cnd! Worth every single penny! Can't wait to book a 1to1 too as I need it I think.

Enjoy xx

Latest posts

Back