So confused

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drapedindaisies

Reaction score
So I've been studying art and design for the past 24 months and I am due to start uni in September, studying fashion design.
I was so excited to start, and I am very happy with the uni I have got into. But I can't help thinking that I want to do nails as well as work so I have money again. I was made redundant from my last job at a nursery last year and since then I've been looking after my niece and my boyfriend has been helping me get by.

I love fashion, but I love nails too. And I have pictured having my own little nail space and being comfortable and making cute trips to the salon suppliers etc. And I can't help thinking that I'm making the wrong decision spending another three years in full time education and not having much of an income.
I know I'd have to do an evening course in nail technology and work on the side whilst I'm getting qualified but it seems more cost effective.
Any advice would be much appreciated, I just feel so doubtful.

Thanks
Victoria x

If you are having doubts maybe you should do some research into what doors the degree will open for you. Look at the jobs market for fashion graduates at the moment and try and work out what the career progression would be. A degree is a huge investment of time and money so you need to be confident that it gets you where you want to go in the long term.

Also its hard to tell from a short post but I get the feeling that you would be settling for a nail tech job rather than it being something your passionate about. If that's the case remember there are lots of other careers out there and with the internet you can very effectively self study for all sorts of roles so pick something you love and that works for you. I switched career a few years ago with nothing but a text book and determination and although it was a hard transition ultimately its been worth it.

Why not do both? Surely between now and September you can do a 'basic' manicure course. I would recommend going to a local non brand specific educator to get a good grounding. Don't necessarily go with a specific brand as you need to learn the basics, regardless of the system you may end up using. Start with normal nail polish manicures, get some experience and then branch out if you want to. Also, once you have a manicure certificate, you will be able to get insurance and buy professional nail supplies.

Then it's all about practice, practice, practice and I guess you'll have a steady stream of clients if you are going off to uni. Use your fellow students to practise on, maybe charge them a discounted rate to start with.

Yes it's nice to have visions of lovely little nail bars and shelves stocked with gorgeous nail polishes, but you do have to pay for them somehow! Don't let your heart rule your head too much!! (Even though I have to admit I often can't resist buying polishes that I don't exactly need...!).

Best of luck!

If you are having doubts maybe you should do some research into what doors the degree will open for you. Look at the jobs market for fashion graduates at the moment and try and work out what the career progression would be. A degree is a huge investment of time and money so you need to be confident that it gets you where you want to go in the long term.

Also its hard to tell from a short post but I get the feeling that you would be settling for a nail tech job rather than it being something your passionate about. If that's the case remember there are lots of other careers out there and with the internet you can very effectively self study for all sorts of roles so pick something you love and that works for you. I switched career a few years ago with nothing but a text book and determination and although it was a hard transition ultimately its been worth it.

Hi, thank you so much for your message it really means alot!
That's the thing after uni I don't even plan to go on to work for someone, my plan was to open a home studio creating and making and selling by myself for myself. I am already competent in making and I know I could do what I'm doing without the stress of spending 5 days a week at uni.
I have very much always been into beauty, I am already qualified in make-up so I know I could work on a beauty counter whilst paying for training in nails etc. I also have a childcare qualification to fall back on to if I need an income also.
I know I want to do something creative, my boyfriend has told me to do what I feel is right. My other option is to defer my course and to get started in nails ASAP, and to get a job (because having £0 has made me more stressed, plus me and my boyfriend want to get a house so that's on top of the daunt of going to uni and having a minimal income)

Just to add I did get a manicure and pedicure course from essential nails but after my last relationship broke down that got put to the side, so my intentions were to study nails in the first place.

So so many thanks for reading my message, it really is very much appreciated!
Hope you have a lovely day :)

Why not do both? Surely between now and September you can do a 'basic' manicure course. I would recommend going to a local non brand specific educator to get a good grounding. Don't necessarily go with a specific brand as you need to learn the basics, regardless of the system you may end up using. Start with normal nail polish manicures, get some experience and then branch out if you want to. Also, once you have a manicure certificate, you will be able to get insurance and buy professional nail supplies.

Then it's all about practice, practice, practice and I guess you'll have a steady stream of clients if you are going off to uni. Use your fellow students to practise on, maybe charge them a discounted rate to start with.

Yes it's nice to have visions of lovely little nail bars and shelves stocked with gorgeous nail polishes, but you do have to pay for them somehow! Don't let your heart rule your head too much!! (Even though I have to admit I often can't resist buying polishes that I don't exactly need...!).

Best of luck!

Hello, thank you for your message!

I'm still finishing my art and design, I have a few months left so my time is taken up by that at the moment (it's very coursework heavy!)
I just feel like I keep going back to wanting to do nails, and it's creeping up again ARGHHHHHH! I always want to keep my options open.

The thing is with uni it is a 5 day a week course, 8-8 so my time is going to be very minimal, only getting busier as I progress, I just feel like I'm going to be wasting another three years without income or experience in the real world and coming out the other side broke. My boyfriend pays for a hell of a lot of things for me and I would really like to make an income again as well as training on the side, I already have people saying that they would 100% come to me for nails which is already exciting me haha!

I think with me I love a bit of everything and I don't want to be limited, I still do childcare on the side now because I love that field of work!

Sorry for the rambling, I just feel like I need to lay all my cards out, look at it as a whole and make a firm decision sooner rather then later, I'm pretty sure I'm freaking out more than I should be

Thanks again for your advice, it's such a massive help!

OK, I understand, so why don't you book yourself a manicure course (1-2-1) in the summer - I'm guessing you have about 3 months off before uni starts? In the meantime, enjoy practising your polish work on willing friends and family and getting neat at the whole thing. When you have manicure qualification, then you can offer treatments to your uni friends as and when you have time and earn a few ££ on the side - it will all be good practice anyway. If it's something you really want to do, then you will find the time!

At this stage, my advice would be not to spend ££££ on training - get a basic manicure certificate and then see if you really do like doing it (albeit part time) before making any rash decisions.

Also, remember that when you have finished your formal uni education, there are many many many years ahead of you working - don't rush into it, believe me the novelty wears off after a few years, even if you are doing a job you enjoy!

I am going to talk to my tutor when I go back to college next week, as I would really like to go back to work for a while.

I worked at a nursery for 5 years, and although it was stressful it was fun. I might just do my essential nail course I brought in spa mani and pedi, at least I can do it at home and like you said spend minimal money for the moment.

The more I think about it the more I want to take a break to work again, It's so odd how it's all just come on all of a sudden! Argh.

OK, I understand, so why don't you book yourself a manicure course (1-2-1) in the summer - I'm guessing you have about 3 months off before uni starts? In the meantime, enjoy practising your polish work on willing friends and family and getting neat at the whole thing. When you have manicure qualification, then you can offer treatments to your uni friends as and when you have time and earn a few ££ on the side - it will all be good practice anyway. If it's something you really want to do, then you will find the time!

At this stage, my advice would be not to spend ££££ on training - get a basic manicure certificate and then see if you really do like doing it (albeit part time) before making any rash decisions.

Also, remember that when you have finished your formal uni education, there are many many many years ahead of you working - don't rush into it, believe me the novelty wears off after a few years, even if you are doing a job you enjoy!

Thanks for your advice :)

Did you pass your course in mani/pedicure? You could do a gel polish course to add to that which will open up a lot more doors and then you can build up to extensions? :) Gelish/Shellac etc are a lot bigger than just a normal file and Polish, :)

Oh and just to add I did a nail course at 16, did it for a while then went off and did other things, then went back and retrained at 27! I'm 30 now and doing nails, beauty & hair! Wish I'd stuck at it from the beginning! Lol, x

Did you pass your course in mani/pedicure? You could do a gel polish course to add to that which will open up a lot more doors and then you can build up to extensions? :) Gelish/Shellac etc are a lot bigger than just a normal file and Polish, :)

Hey! No I didn't end up even doing it, but when I was practising I loved it. Life just got in the way at that time unfortunately.
That was my initial plan start with the basics and work my way up, I wanted to do CND training in shellac then qualify in acrylic sculpting and fiber glass extensions.
The lady who does my nails does my nails is purely fiber glass nails and she has a lot of interest, although she's been doing it the best part of 15 years so she has the advantage. I still think someone else doing fiber glass nails in Bournemouth would do well also :)

Oh and just to add I did a nail course at 16, did it for a while then went off and did other things, then went back and retrained at 27! I'm 30 now and doing nails, beauty & hair! Wish I'd stuck at it from the beginning! Lol, x

See when I left school I went into health and social car / childcare... I'm 25 now so I no its not too late to do a range of things and decide. Bless you well either way you're obviously doing well and loving it now so it doesn't matter :)

Jsyk, fiberglass is now considered an old-school treatment.

Ah I see, well personally I would say try get your basics then gel polish, from there the world is your oyster! Lol, :)

Jsyk, fiberglass is now considered an old-school treatment.

Yeah I always thought this as she is the only one that does it in Bournemouth, I'd never heard about it until she started doing my nails which was probably around 6 years ago now. Still she's got way over 200 clients so she must be doing something right! She's also trained in acrylics and gel but prefers fiber as she feels it is less damaging to the natural nail.

Ah I see, well personally I would say try get your basics then gel polish, from there the world is your oyster! Lol, :)

Yeah I think I am going to do that! :) I don't know what's holding me back I feel very doubtful about doing anything as I feel the things I actually enjoy are so saturated and over done. But I'll never know if I don't try.
Thanks for your advice :)

Latest posts

Back