... So curious re training in Europe .....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeahyeah

Reaction score
I seem to read so much on this site about techs from European countries taking week long (or even a few days) courses and then becoming certified to work on the public... this absolutely baffles me... in the US our training is much longer than this and it still doesnt seem to be enough. what exactly are the requirements to becoming a (fully legal) nail tech in Europe?

I seem to read so much on this site about techs from European countries taking week long (or even a few days) courses and then becoming certified to work on the public... this absolutely baffles me... in the US our training is much longer than this and it still doesnt seem to be enough. what exactly are the requirements to becoming a (fully legal) nail tech in Europe?

There really are none (hence one of the main reasons of why this website was created .... to give education to those who for whatever reason have not had good training and have huge gaps to fill, in their knowledge pool).

Anyone can set up and become a nail technician with no qualification (although they would not have insurance .. and many don't). :eek:

It is a mere handful of companies/brands who have forced a standard with their training and by not selling products to the public ... but in truth most nail suppliers in the UK will sell to anyone ... there are only a handful who will not.

Although there are many who offer 1 day and 2 day and courses that are just preying on peoples ignorance .... and some other longer courses too that are outrageous in price and do the same, the truth is that if education is taken with a reputable supplier, the course is probably as long as any in the states and will take about a year to complete.

No one is qualified after 5 days to work in the industry (although they in theory could start charging and never do another class because there are no regulations to say they can't) .. they are qualified to practice and start the process of further learning. But, no one can force anyone do more education if they don't want to ....

THE GOOD NEWS IS, that the good ones want to and do, do allot more ... and allot more is available from product suppliers who train to Master level and beyond.

There are many many thousands of outstanding nail technicians in Europe even without any regulations, and the bad or untrained disappear pretty darned quickly off the scene as though they had never been. It is no good wasting energy worrying about them or what 'harm' they are doing to our industry because that is the way it is and will be for some considerable time.

Our government in the UK feels there are more pressing issues than passing laws to regulate nail technicians' training .... to get a law passed I think is not an option here in the UK ................ despite all of this 'mess' we have many of the best nail techs in the world right here on this side of the pond and a handful of product companies who have taken the law into their own hands and regulate and control their own training and the standard of the technicians they turn out. Thank the Lord.

Last edited:
wow, thanks for the insight, i had no idea that is how it works! so i am correct in thinking you do not need a license? here we must have a certification and a license... although licensure is extremely easy to obtain once youve been certified.

wow, thanks for the insight, i had no idea that is how it works! so i am correct in thinking you do not need a license? here we must have a certification and a license... although licensure is extremely easy to obtain once youve been certified.

Yes you are right .. there is no licensing here in Europe.

My opinion wavers between wanting some regulation and not.:lol:

I don't think having a license produces better nail techs. To me a license means someone has passed a state board exam and as I believe you have said, they are pretty much a joke.

It is my understanding from talking to so many American nail techs that they feel that they are no better prepared to enter the industry after school than some of the people in Europe. Yes, they have passed the multiple choice exam on state requirements and have their 'license' in hand, but they still are very unsure of their nail skills. Most do not feel ready to set up a business.

Good Morning
Can you please tell me is this also the same teaching? Are there any regulations in place or just guide lines. Do educators have to have certain certificates teach if they work for a product company. I understand that courses have to be acredited.

Good Morning
Can you please tell me is this also the same teaching? Are there any regulations in place or just guide lines. Do educators have to have certain certificates teach if they work for a product company. I understand that courses have to be acredited.

Anyone with no teacher training at all can set up a nail school and teach. No regulations. MANY many people are doing so and many are doing courses that have no credibility whatsoever and no accreditation.

Many technicians (and I say the word loosely) teach right out of their salon and do not represent a company or anything they just teach and take the money and many charge similar prices to the courses offered by companies with great reputations and a history of great teaching ... it is quite scandalous really. The certificate the student receives is not worth the paper it is written on.

i agree in that i feel that to a point most technicians once doing a course dont feel ready to start a bussiness even if they have trained with a well known reputable company.confidence comes with experience and this is something you just cant rush.
whilst it is a shame about all those nail technicians who work without no or little training i agree with gigi that they soon fall and learn the heard way and to some degree they make the rest of us look even better :)

hi there!
In Greece you have to show 2 years minimum PROVEN work as a nail technician to give you the ability to open a place for manicure-pedicure only, and 000000 years for artificial nails (gel,acrylic,etc)...!!!...law is ****...

hi there!
In Greece you have to show 2 years minimum PROVEN work as a nail technician to give you the ability to open a place for manicure-pedicure only, and 000000 years for artificial nails (gel,acrylic,etc)...!!!...law is ****...

Welcome dimitra .. I sense true passion about nails from you!!! :lol:

I have found over the last 25 years that the bad technicians only make us good ones look even better and they never stick around in business for long ... spend your energy where it counts .. on you, your business and your family !! Even with licencing and laws, there are still plenty of bad technicians.

Enjoy salongeeking.

Latest posts

Back