Solo Operation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseDavidNailDesign

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm doing some research, and just wanted your thoughts on opening a business with just one practitioner. Is it worth it financially, or does a salon need more staff to be successful?

And as clients, how important is it for you to be able to go to the salon with friends? How much do you enjoy the socializing aspect of a bigger salon?

Thanks, in advance, for all your feedback!

It sounds wonderful- no staff!
I think it depends on your overheads re- premesis. Not sure about the social aspect, as clients don't tend to chat to each other when getting their hair done.(I'm hair by the way)
Why not try it for a while, if it is a problem you can recruit.

I'm a sole trader, and it's bloody hard work! But, as Persianista says, it's bliss not having staff.
What I've done is work out what my hourly rate is and if there are people out there whose rate is less than that then I delegate to them. I'm talking about cleaning and accounts stuff.
Of course, you don't really earn any money unless you're working!
One of the biggest things to remember if you're a sole trader is that there is an enormous amount of effort involved in getting the work, not just in doing the work.
It takes about 2 years to build a business and 5 to build a name.

the other down side being a sole trader is the loneliness and of cours ehaving no one to cover for you if you are sick.

there are lots of plus sides, not being let down, not having to compromise. not having the hassle of someone elses bad points.......

tigi

Persianista - I think it's the last few years of management that has put me off of staff. Based on the places I'm looking at, my monthly rent (incl utilities) is going to roughly be what I can produce in 1 or 2 busy days. And my experince, (with nails facials and waxing), has been that you spend about 20% of the takings on products (but maybe I can do better than that!) You're right, I can always re-evaluate and think about recruiting.

Lynne Baker - Well, I'm not afraid of hard work. Right now I'm juggling 3 jobs and working 7 days a week. I do plan on having a receptionist. And as he gains understanding of the business, I'm hoping to develop his position, so he can take over retail and accounting. But I'll keep that in mind about delegating, and how long it takes to build a name.

Tigi - Sick! My god you're right, I'm not a robot:lol: Fortunately though, it doesn't happen to me very often. And when it does, it's often because someone ELSE didn't stay home when they should have! But good point though. And I'll never be lonely with you guys (and Facebook) And hopefully clients can keep me company :green:

I can understand, managing staff is so hard at times. Drives me nuts.

Hello Jesse! I would say go for it if you want to work for yourself if you have the experience and the client base (thats vey important!). But it does have its pro's and con's, and yes it is hard work! I run my own business and have done for 5 years now and I still work on my own, but if you are like me and love what you do that helps, you need "DRIVE and "PASSION" to make it work! Good luck with everything let me know how you get on, its exciting for you eh! x:biggrin:

Last edited:
I can understand, managing staff is so hard at times. Drives me nuts.

Can't do with 'em and can't do without 'em. They can be one of the biggest headaches of having your own business, however they can also be what makes your business. The right team can be a goldmine.

I think if you are working on your own, busy and with a receptionist, and can cover your overheads then why not, but maybe have someone in the back of your mind that you could call on when you're poorly maybe or in need of some time off (however it took me 3 years to have a holiday - but that was my choice).

Its incredibly hard work, but incredibly rewarding. I've been trading 6 years, first 2.5 were with a business partner and the remainder on my own, at times I would have liked a sounding board (however Salon Geek is a cheaper, less stressful option) but I know that whatever I achieve has been through my hard work (and that of the girls). I wouldnt swap my business for anything. So think long and hard and if its what you really want....the worlds your oyster!

Thats the thing, I am sitting here at home and my staff are working hard, earning me money. Would I change that? if I'm honest, no.

I work on my own and i love it. I don't get bored or lonely because obviously i'm with my clients during my working hours.

Salon Geek is here if i want to discuss something.

It also makes tax a lot easier. I don't have an accountant i just work it out myself and you don't have to work out PAYE, etc.

I find it works for me financially. If you have staff, they are bringing in money, but you have to pay them and possibly an accountant. It is really difficult to tell which is best because you don't know how busy you are going to be.

You need to be prepared to do plenty of advertising and paperwork which can take up quite a bit of time.

I've only been off sick once and my clients were good about it. I still take holidays but i just make sure to give them plenty of notice.

You could try going it alone and once you are fully booked bring in another therapist and so on.

I hope it all works well for you xxx

Latest posts

Back