Some questions straight from nail students!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeahyeah

Reaction score
I teach a business course at a cosmetology college and im trying to compile some info for next weeks' discussion class. I think it will be really beneficial and interesting to get information from techs all over the world, as opposed to just my area, and i think this is the right place for that!:) I've had my class compose a list of curiosities/concerns they have about the nail industry. Please dont feel like you have to answer all of them, any input will be most appreciated!!! Here are the questions theyve come up with:

Do you have another job in addition to being a nail tech? Do you consider it a second job, or is this your "second job"? More importantly how do you juggle them while still keeping yourself invested in your business and keeping your clients happy?

Do you feel your beauty business earns you the living you need/want (whether you have a second job or not), and why? What, if anything, are you doing to supplement your income?

Do you feel this is a terrible time, economically, to start a new business?

What sort of effects are you seeing the current economic climate have on your buisiness personally and on the industry as a whole?

Thanks in advance for any responses, i hope this thread sparks some good discussion -- on here and in my class:) They are MOSTLY concerned with the last questions regarding the economy, this has been an ongoing discussion in class since they started. They are all second guessing their decisions to get into this business, despite my reassurance. I don't want to sugar coat anything for them and I know some of them will not be successful in this industry, however I do not agree that it is necessarily a bad time to start a new business. I have 3 businesses, not all in the beauty industry, and am seeing growth in all of them (even some unwanted growth... i have WAY too much on my plate!) However, despite this, they think i have an "abnormal situation", and are eagerly awaiting input from techs from all different situations and walks of life.

Again, thanks in advance for your opinions, and thanks for reading such a lengthy post!!!:)

Excellent thread, yeahyeah!

I am an administrative assistant in my 'real' job and do nails to supplement my income. I would LOVE to do nails full time but have never been in a position to do that. You know how it can be sometimes...you have a full book, then no one shows up.

I personally think education, ANY education is great. It may or may not be a great time to get into the beauty business but no one can ever take away your education. IMHO, it's great to have something to fall back on.

A lot of my ladies at the assisted living facility are stretching their manis out to 3 or 4 weeks due to the economy. These were my every two week clients. I understand how it is, though...

Best of luck with your lesson plan. Let us know how it goes. :)

Thanks for the reply deanosnana!:)
I cant believe nobody else is willing to help with this! These are questions ANYBODY in this business can answer, there are no right or wrong answers!

Nice post :)

I'm not working at the moment because I've just moved, but when I was, being a nail tech was my main occupation because I had to split my time between school and work. Although some of the other techs DO have second jobs. Some had jobs that are irrelevant to the salon business (nursing, retail, ect.) while others were instructors for nail courses. For the rest, being a nail tech is their main and only job. They are there in the shop from open til close.

As far as it being a bad time to open a business, it would depend on the business and location. In my hometown, there were upscale spas and boutiques that seem to cater to certain crowds, and there were basic nail salons that catered to others. Some of them don't seem to be doing so well because they are the wrong type of shop for the wrong area and their clients have to travel kinda far and their business doesn't appeal to the locals. But others are constantly booked because they are the right shop for the right area.

Hello,

I'm working full time in the beauty industry and it's been my sole source of income for the last 8 years. Right now, I'm splitting my time between a salaried position in a day spa, and my own studio. In about 4 weeks, I'm quitting my job :eek: and giving 100% to my own business. My mantra through this is to be 'more afraid of regret than failure'.

I think the economy has definitely had an impact on our industry, but I think all the negativity and bad press about the economy has been the worst influence.

What I've learned in the past 2 years, is that you have to work harder and constantly improve your self and your reputation. There will always be people who can afford to have our services. But, they are more careful about how they spend their money and you HAVE to live up to your reputation.

My regular, standing clients haven't been affected by the economy and haven't changed their behavior. But I also don't get comfortable and take liberties with them. Each appointment I deliver the same quality of customer service and professionalism as their first appointment. I've worked with a lot of people who develop a more casual relationship with their regulars. Running late, shortening the service, etc. I think this is really dangerous.

The clients who used to come say 5 or 6 times a year, have sometimes had to cut back. But I'm always so excited when I do see them, and usually give them a free upgrade as thanks for their support and past loyalty. This way, when times are better for them, I'll be the first person they think of.

I hope this helps your students. I want to emphasize most of all, develop a relationship with all clients you come in contact with, not just the ones who can come in every 2 weeks. And maintain the quality of the service you deliver all the time.

Latest posts

Back