Somebody help me please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creative Keren

Creative Nail Studio
Reaction score
Hi geeks, it's been a while since I've posted on here but I'm in a real pickle and need some sound advice from my fellow geeks. I'll try my best to condense this...

I started my business two years ago and originally I was mobile. I HATED it as I got fed up of driving for miles and someone not being in because they 'forgot' or them always trying to haggle on prices. An opportunity came for me to be salon based on a % basis and I snapped it up. I got my fingers seriously burnt as the clowns didn't have a clue what they were doing and demanded that I lower my prices down to (e.g) £10 for a set of l&p with free nail art. So, I left very tactfully I might say but they weren't happy and tried their absolute best to tarnish my rep and so I struggled for a few months but continued to push on through. I've been at a different salon now for over a year and I love it. I'm so lucky that the owner and I (there's no one else there) get on so well and everything seems to be so easy and enjoyable but here's where a few spanners got thrown into the works.

I rent a space from her but together we have built up a really good reputation and client base but over the past few months it's been getting very quiet for both of us. We've tried various things, ladies nights, amazing offers, incorporated loyalty scheme and more but it's not really been doing anything. I've been struggling to pay her our agreed weekly rent recently and some days we have not one soul in. She's said to me that she's looking into opening a home salon and getting costing etc to see if she can get her garage converted. So chances are the salon won't be there in a few months time.

She's invited me to come and work with her on the same basis but at her home salon which is great but now I really don't know what to do. I live in a 2bed apartment and don't have the room for a home salon - perhaps a nail station but that'd be in my lounge and I worry that it's not going to give the right impression for my business. Another option is for me to move to a larger property and open my own home salon but then I wonder with things being so slow, if it carries on how will I afford a bigger place and the bills?

Then I saw a small salon that's on the market to rent at £495 PCM that used to be a hairdressers. I looked into it briefly and the location is good with hardly any competition around that side of town but again do I really want to take on more expense? My last option is to get a full time job and carry on with my regular clients around my job, working from home and save up to move and open my own home salon.

I've worked SO hard building up a loyal client base and put everything into my business so I don't want to give it up or feel like I taking a huge step back.

Please can someone give me some advice or their opinion.

Thanks geeks :)

Well firstly, it sounds like you're very hard working and committed to the industry, which is obviously a good start!

Maybe it would be the best thing to go on your own? Take a full time job for 6 months or whatever, save as hard as you can to get a nice lump of money behind you and start on your own. I think a home salon (if you can find a place to do it) would seem to be a good option for you, as long as your current clients would be able to access it easily.

I don't think getting some paid work would be taking a step back, rather a step in another direction so you can reevaluate your business without getting yourself in financial difficulty. Maybe you could just get some part time work and as you build your clientele again, you can reduce your employed hours until you're back with a good clientele again?

Whatever you end up doing though, I think you need to start preparing for the circumstances to change, however that may happen. You could start and encourage your clients to add their email/phone number to a mailing list, so you have a way of contacting them, should things go belly up. Are you able to prepare your clients that a move may be inevitable? Or is it still hush hush from your landlady?

Hope this helps, good luck! :)

Hi and thanks for the reply.

She's very aware of it and knows that there's a very good chance that I'll be going it on my own. Thanks for the compliment by the way as I am very passionate about my job and even through the bad times I still could never imagine doing anything else. :hug:

I'm feeling as though a home salon will be the best way forward to be honest, personally I think it's less risk also and the fact that I can do other things at home when I have a gap and make better use of my time. I've been mentioning to my clients to get a feel for what they think and so far most have said home salon. Surprisingly a few have mentioned that they thought I should have done that along time ago rather than paying rent! I just worry that they will say that to be polite and then disappear if it actually happens. I'm keeping my eye out for a larger property and playing it by ear for the moment as to what happens where I currently work.

I'm also worried that if I take on a home salon will my clients then expect my prices to be lower as I effectively have less overheads?!

So much going on especially with it being this time of year! At least business seems to be picking up again :-D

Oh dear, I wonder why it's been so quiet? In always quieter during oct/nov then it's busy again but try other local salons and service missing anything,

I would be wary of taking on a bigger rent if ur income is unreliable but it's a better option than another rented business space with all the overheads
Good luck

Well it sounds like you've got a bit of a plan, it'll all fall into place!

When the time comes you could offer your current clients something to visit your home salon? Something like 20% off for the first 3 months (or whatever). This would encourage them to come to you and for monthly treatments, and get back into a routine with you in new surroundings. Also the % off might encourage them to try treatments they wouldn't usually- they might end up being long term, higher spending clients!

Whatever you end up doing, I think your clients are right that you should be going it on your own! I've recently gone self employed and although it's challenging at times, it's just the best thing ever!

Good luck! :)

If you are worried about the home salon aspect as of room, there are ways! I have a tiny flat with one bedroom. I share with my fiance (if I was on my own I would have the salon in the bedroom and put all my stuff in the front room/kitchen area as that wouldnt bother me). But what I do is use my bar area in my kitchen for nail appointments, and I remove my coffee table, turn my sofa around, pop my couch up or my tan tent up et voila. Obviously it helps that its a really nice flat, and ive decorated with beauty posters and have matching towels, covered the ugly desk with a nice matching tablecloth and use it to put the products im about to use on, and my bookshelf is now my retail unit. But it really works and not a lot of people notice that I actually live here (helps that my flat is above a shop so if I didnt say they might never know). I just make sure that no homely stuff is ever in my living room when someone is around and clean sides/wash up and its neat and tidy. Works well..just takes a little time so sometimes i have to put it up and take it down each day (fiance gets a bit iffy with girly stuff everywhere all the time haha) Also, there was a lady that posted somewhere on here, she has a lovely little nail salon that looks so grand and its in her hallway. I would never have guessed looking at the photos. Wish I could remember what her business was called so I could show you.

I think you should keep your prices the same as your clients are paying for YOUR services, with the same treatments and they were willing to pay it before. If it doesn't go so well at first, or you think maybe you cant match the environment/atmosphere at the salon in your home, then reduce them slightly. Or try and aim for something around the mark of the home techs nearby (even book a little shape and polish so you can have a peek at what they've done with their places for a small price). Maybe even a little discount for previous clients for coming to you in your new business.

Also, I have a part time cleaning job that initially was my main employment as I tried to build up my client base, but now I keep it because I enjoy it and the people I work with, I dont even need it anymore except in my quiet months and its helped me to save! Another thing to do is try temping, I did it for two years and sometimes I could pay my rent on a few days work a week when they needed me, just a bit of call centre/reception.

If you want to open your own salon in a shop, I would say maybe see how many of your regulars you can acquire that move with you as then you will see how well you can move from your home salon to a shop and you will have figures to go by to work out your overheads.

Hope it all goes well and good luck! xx

Latest posts

Back