Someone help me please, I'm desperate

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katlu

Reaction score
I have purchased Nail Class, I have read Million dollar smiles, I have watched videos, I have done a creative conversion course, I even attended the Creative session at Earls court this year and was trained by the very best Samuel himself. He made it so easy, explained it so well and it all seemed so clear. I felt great when I left, I thought I had finally cracked it, but then I went home and tried again. To my disappointment, it never worked, I still can't create a smile line.
I have got the mix ratio correct, I have tried baby presses and everything else advised but it never works. I have looked at the work you post on this site and it is fantastic, I just wonder if I will ever be as good. My dream is to become a professional nail tech but I have spent so much time and so much money on trying to be one that I am now on the verge of giving up. I use the Creative Pro Styler brush, do I need to try another? Can someone help me to get it right. Please!!!!

I have checked your profile and it says you started doing nails in September - was that this year or last year?

Have you been getting lots of practise in - once you have learned the correct technqiues - which you have - you need to get as many bums in seats as possible or nail trainer hands.

Hi Davina, I sympathise with your frustration. It isn't easy for most people and it may just be that you are not getting the REAL help that you need.

Demos are great and books, but sometimes you just need to sit down with an educator and let him/her guide your working hand (not do it for you) so you can see how it feels. Many times I have actually held the working hand of the student and let hem feel how it feels to do it right and to see a good result.

Where do you feel are you going wrong? The sharpness of the finished line? The shape of the finished line? The product going hard before you are finished? Not controlling your product?

I think it would be very hard, other than to offer you encouragement and support, to really help you 'click' as to the doing, in a post or posts here on the nail geek. But answer the questions above and we'll give it a go.

I have been doing nails since September LAST YEAR, I have a nailtrainer which has been in constant use. Most of my clients have natural nail treatments, those who have extensions, at the moment, luckily, ask for clear that are airbrushed or painted.

why not try ask some of them to have pink and whites ? thats the only way you will get the practice you need is to be doing it on people , granted nail trainers are fab but theres nothing better than doing live people :green: , try not to stress too much you will probably find doing smiles on people are easier than doing them on the nail trainer :green: (i find this anyway )
best of luck , dee x

Gigi, I go wrong everything you have mentioned: product control, product shape, product hardening too quickly.

thanks dee, but I am too afraid to offer clients pink and whites for fear that it would look rubbish and I'd lose my clients and get a bad reputation.

Get some friends and family, and keep practicing! If its someone that doesn't want enhancements it doesn't matter. Take sculpting, I get my boyfriend and do no prep other than sanitize so the product won't take well, that way it soaks off well when I'm finished. If its friends and family and they know your only practicing, don't charge, that way if they look naff it doesn't matter! Get a box of tips and keep making smiles, nothing expencive. It could be your brush that you don't get on with, get some more, different shapes and sizes, when you find one you like keep going with that one until you get it. Its sometimes easier to master one thing at a time so I'd sort this out before moving on to something else,

HTH's x x x

Gigi, I go wrong everything you have mentioned: product control, product shape, product hardening too quickly.

OK. Firstly let me apologise if I am assuming you have not done these things. Have you actually sat down in a quiet place with 'nailclass' and worked with it rather than just reading it? Not everyone learns well just reading, but reading and following along with your brush and product is how 'nailclass' really works best. Take one concept at a time.

I would say, first product control and getting your mix right. Or maybe it is right and you are just trying too hard and taking too long to accomplish the smile? You know where you want to go with the product, so try to get there quicker. PUSH yourself to do so.

WATCH and LEARN what happens when you press the product at different pressures and with different parts of the brush and learn what to do, and when, to get the bead to go where you want it to. Read: Brush control and work along with it.

I wish I could say there are magic answers that will help you ... and maybe there are but you will need to be really determined to work step by step along with the chapters in your down time.

Gigi, I have never sat down and worked with the book. I usually read the section and then go and try it, but I will definitely work with it tonight. I so much want to be able to do this and will try to follow step by step. Thank you all for your advice. This site is so good.

Gigi, I have never sat down and worked with the book. I usually read the section and then go and try it, but I will definitely work with it tonight. I so much want to be able to do this and will try to follow step by step. Thank you all for your advice. This site is so good.

Nope ... it is a work book and I think it will make more sense to use it that way. So many hundreds have written to me to say that it has helped them ... transformed them even!! ... You sound a determined person and I'm sure you will get there in the end. But feel free to pm me if I can help out further. x

Not any more than I can say to what Gigi has said. She knows better than I. This is just words of encouragement from me as I know exactly how you feel, it is an art (which I am still battling with). It's practice, practice, practice which I know you are doing and I wish you all the best!:hug: :hug:

Teri x

i can vouch for the nailclass book , its brill , even though i have done this for 3 years i read it and some stuff just went click in my head and seemd a lot clearer , its even better when you do the nails and have it at the side as a guide :green:

Just a suggestion but maybe do a set on your trainer and then take a pic...post on here (or send privately to a geek who can help you)...and then maybe we/they can see just where you feel you are going wrong....I bet they are not nearly as bad as you think and it could just be a bit of tweaking here and there. It just might help...xxxxxx

OK. Firstly let me apologise if I am assuming you have not done these things. Have you actually sat down in a quiet place with 'nailclass' and worked with it rather than just reading it? Not everyone learns well just reading, but reading and following along with your brush and product is how 'nailclass' really works best. Take one concept at a time.

I would say, first product control and getting your mix right. Or maybe it is right and you are just trying too hard and taking too long to accomplish the smile? You know where you want to go with the product, so try to get there quicker. PUSH yourself to do so.

WATCH and LEARN what happens when you press the product at different pressures and with different parts of the brush and learn what to do, and when, to get the bead to go where you want it to. Read: Brush control and work along with it.

I wish I could say there are magic answers that will help you ... and maybe there are but you will need to be really determined to work step by step along with the chapters in your down time.
These words of wisdom should definitely help you - I struggled (still do sometimes) to get the perfect smile line and I was really down with it all especially as you have said - when you see the pros accomplish their smile lines with seemingless effort.

However, one day I got up and thought - it's no good, I need to get over worrying about the cost of practising and not look at it as a waste of money - but as part of my training. So, I did as Gigi said - practiced everything I could, whether it be right or wrong - so for example I tried working with a bead which was too wet - I knew that it was going to be a disaster - but at least when it was, I knew I could rule that out - I found that when I was doing the baby presses the bead seemed to dry out quickly, so I gave a couple of presses with the belly of the brush to inject a bit more liquid into the bead and found this helped me - it is trial and error but sometimes deliberately doing it wrong (not on peeps - on THE HAND :lol: )can confirm what you already know - hope that makes sense!

Keep on going - you will get there:hug:

Latest posts

Back