Someone tell me where I went wrong

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLou

Reaction score
I did a clients hair yesterday and used wella koleston perfect 66/44 6% and the colour came out awful! Te roots were very glowy, parts of the hair had like a band in the same place on the sections of hair as if it hadn't taken, but not on the top, once I dried it off on the top it blended almost perfectly but for a shad of a 6 it came out more like a 7/8!

This client normally has coopers between 7/6 shades it wasn't a problems at time but I was shocked yesterday at the result.

What did I do wrong!?

Her hair is natural base of a 7/8 had a very faded cooper on the ends but hardly anything left admitted 4 moths ago.

Thanks geeks

Did you give full development time? x

Sounds like you have root glow from the natural hair and you already had the tones in the previous coloured hair, you maybe should have used koleston on roots then colour touch through the rest to refresh xx

Did you measure properly

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Maybe use a lower peroxide on the roots ?

I mixed 1:1 I use the measuring jugs rather than the scales so that was right, the development time was 15 mins under heat but I didn't wash it off straight away so had at least an extra 5 mins if not more an it took me forever to put on so the front sections and lengths of the hair were on for well over the development time.

I can't understand the the bands? It was literally like a halo the same areas on every section, I would blame my application for that but as she has long hair I took very fine sections and applied loads of colour so I know it's not that.

Maybe if I added some base it would have helped but I thought these colours with the p5 star meant you didn't have to do that?

It's made me nervous with reds now, I've never had much luck with reds to be honest

3% - darken
6% - add tone or lift 1 level.
9% - lift 2/3 levels.

The reason you've got glowing, lighter roots is because you've used 6% when you needed to use 3% as you were going darker.

I think the reason you've got banding as well is because of the 6% ... if the hair is previously coloured with coppers in shades of 7's and 6's then the colour is going to grab differently on the areas of tone.....the areas that were a 6 will have gone the correct shade and the areas that were a 7 will have gone lighter.

Also, with previously coloured hair - the porosity and condition of the hair could be different on the length. E.G the ends of her hair that have been coloured 4/5 times more in the past will have sustained more damage and be more porous. So you'll find that different areas of the hair will have retained more dye than others - and this has been made even more obvious because of the incorrect peroxide.

____________ I'd have done 66/44 KP with 3% on the roots and then touched up the rest with the same mixture in colour touch.

Wella doesn't have a 3%, Colour Touch is like using tint and 3%.

I would say you had a regrowth band of another slightly flatter colour it darker. Then you've a brighter/ lighter colour to the root so the band is more visable.

You can mix a less warm shade in to neutralise the intensity- I would use 6/7 rather than 6/0 then you don't loose too much of the true shade.

So if a client wants it to be permanent they can't if I have to use a semi- 1.9% or 4%??? And can you mix koleston tit with colour touch lotion??

Looking back I think I should have used the pre pig methos, put through the wella perfect then applied??? Do you think that would have stopped it?

Colour touch is quasi it will darken and tone but it doesn't lift, you can't use koleston with colour touch x

Colour touch isn't a semi it's a quasi. It will fade out very gradually but there will be regrowth as with permanent. It's ideal for using on anyone who doesn't have any grey/resistant hair. You will find great results as with Koleston but much gentler and I think the results are shinier. Love colour touch! You can only use it with the 1.9% or 4% developer. (4% is for CT plus)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Really Demi and permanent are words that should be redundant.

Demi (colour touch)is for depositing, adding depth and hiding first signs of grey.

Permanent (KP) is for lifting and covering white 100%.

My pet hate is a client who wants lighter than there natural, 100% coverage, already has a regrowth and wants a 'semi' so it'll wash out if they don't like it! ( sorry for an off the subject rant :))

Haha no problem, rant away :)

Do you know i feel rather stupid now, of course its a quasi, in the salon we always say semi referring to colour touch but of course it's not, they have a true semi don't they in those little bottles. Even if it's applied onto wet hair it's still not a semi is it?

I even went on wella training a few weeks ago and we all talking about colour touch as a semi….omg what a fool lol

So you can't use kp with a colour touch lotion (i have witnessed this in salons :/ ) And bassically anyone who doesnt have grey hair or wants to stay the same colour or darker always use colour touch?

I love colour touch it does give the best shine.

Colour touch can cover up to about 50% and colour touch plus is about 70% xx

It's for people that don't want 100% coverage so colour touch will mask/blend white hair rather than blanket covered from a permanent.

So imagine younger clients (esp as KP is so dense!) hiding first signs of white, those who want lower maintenance etc

Using CT on towel dry hair gives a softer finish and a less obvious regrowth. That's why I love it for toning also. So easy to work with on damp hair :) I use it on male clients, as we are more fussy about having roots for some reason haha

You can also dilute wellexon 6% with water in the ratio 1:1 that give u a 3% x

Have used colour touch 6.0 with 1.9% on a couple of clients for a lowlight to break up blonde and it's come out more like I 5! Why is that? Should I maybe go a shade lighter next time and add some warmth instead?

Have used colour touch 6.0 with 1.9% on a couple of clients for a lowlight to break up blonde and it's come out more like I 5! Why is that? Should I maybe go a shade lighter next time and add some warmth instead?

Porosity will make haircolour absorb quicker and grab darker, especially if the development time is extended when lowlighting. You can use a lighter colour, reduce development time or dilute with a clear shade (if applicable to CT). If the hair is sensitised you will also need to add extra warmth.

Demi-permanent is often deposit-only so you will achieve a heavier deposit of colour when working over previously lightened hair.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back