Someone tell me where I went wrong

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6% developer is 20 Volume which gives 2-2.5 levels of lift or is used for stubborn grey coverage. A 10 volume=3% which is basically "deposit only" used for going darker & toning. If your client is a lv.7-8 & you want a lv.6, you would want to use a 10v developer....the 20v developer with a lv.6-7 on 7-8 hair would lift & deposit oddly & the 1/2-1" from root is the "hot zone" where heat leaves the head which processes hair more aggressively creating a lighter band . 10v & lv.6-7 would have yielded a more accurate outcome....Remember when going darker, a lower V.developer should be used as you need deposit only without the lift.:wink2:

Wella doesn't have a 3% nor does Loreal!

Pastel is used for toning.

In both brands 20vol is the lowest developer and used for darkening in the permanent line.

Or they both have Demi ranges with a lot a pigment which generally act more permanent ( ie regrowth line, good coverage in the case of richesse)

If you look at a brand like goldwell they have 10vol to darken, their Demi line is too soft compared to Wella/Loreal as it is acidic so you would opt generally for a tint and 3% to get more depth.

Remember guys each brand carries it's own rules- it's no use telling the OP to use 3% when wella wouldn't use it in this case.

Have used colour touch 6.0 with 1.9% on a couple of clients for a lowlight to break up blonde and it's come out more like I 5! Why is that? Should I maybe go a shade lighter next time and add some warmth instead?

Because you didn't pre pig you need to use 5cms of 33/ in with your your mix x

Haha no problem, rant away :)

Do you know i feel rather stupid now, of course its a quasi, in the salon we always say semi referring to colour touch but of course it's not, they have a true semi don't they in those little bottles. Even if it's applied onto wet hair it's still not a semi is it?

I even went on wella training a few weeks ago and we all talking about colour touch as a semi….omg what a fool lol

So you can't use kp with a colour touch lotion (i have witnessed this in salons :/ ) And bassically anyone who doesnt have grey hair or wants to stay the same colour or darker always use colour touch?

I love colour touch it does give the best shine.

Them little bottles are called colour fresh lol x

So if i'm being told to use 3% and wella don't do it, I have to either use colour touch or water down 6%?? I really don't like wtering down products, personally I feel its not getting the best results and possibly getting unpredictable results.

What % is pastel? MAybe I could just use colour touch plus 4%?? Would that slove the problem? Or add a tiny bit of base??

Would you use pastel toner rather than 3% ?

Would you use pastel toner rather than 3% ?

The only time I would use pastel to tone would be with ilumina colours and 1.9% to tone.....but I keep learning things so let's see what the other geeks come up with, this 3% business seems to be confusing everyone lol

So if i'm being told to use 3% and wella don't do it, I have to either use colour touch or water down 6%?? I really don't like wtering down products, personally I feel its not getting the best results and possibly getting unpredictable results.

What % is pastel? MAybe I could just use colour touch plus 4%?? Would that slove the problem? Or add a tiny bit of base??

Pastel is 2.9%, close enough. I use this with Koleston Perfect, illumina, and even colour touch. Although that has it's own developer. But should you wee run out!

Cool thanks for that! That's been bugging me but now I know :)

Ok geeks, here's one i need a little assistance with.

I am again tonight doing a red colour on client, she normally has 55/65 last time it went wrong it came out all patchy and a brighter red shade?!?! Anyway so now shes decided she actually liked the redder look and wants to go a bright red, I've chosen ½ 77/46 ½ 66/46 to me thats the brightest red in koleston and i'm not going into mixing any special tone or anything i think that will be bright enough.

I choose ½ of a 6 as just using the 7 is freaking me out after what happened with my previous client (what this post was about lol)

So my question is, if i use the above with 6% i'm probably not going to get and even colour again am i? Although i used to when i used 55/65.
Should i use the above with pastel or 1.9%?? Bearing in mind i only have those colours i dont have it in colour touch….would this work ok or is it really advisable to get it in colour touch???

Ok so I went for it this was my result.....I'm very happy with it 😄
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1407520284.009640.jpg

Thank you!! I was so pleased with it!

Well not the advised mixture I'm sure but I was limited on what I had so the chosen colours were 1/2 77/46 1/2 66/46 koleston perfect mixed 2:1 with colour touch 4% when I applied the colour my client panicked at the colour a bit so I mixed in some more 66/46 and applied that over the top roughly...totally random and the mixture was a bit of guess but as I said I had no colour touch colours in this shade and no 1.9% but the colour was perfectly even!!!! I figured 4% wouldn't be too much different from a 3% brand so went for it.

So happy with it I can beleive a koleston came up that bright! It looked more like a crazy colour rather than Kp so if clients want bright Kp is more than capable! 😄

Latest posts

Back