Sore, itchy, red nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordie

Reaction score
I have been doing this clients nails for over 10 years. For the first 9, I had been doing fiberglass for added strength. She said for a few days after her nails were done they would burn and itch, be red all around her cuticles. She said in between visits she would run them under very hot water to help stop the itching. I also think she scratched, which made them worse. We stopped doing fiber and started doing Gelish manicure about a year ago thinking she was having a reaction to the fiberglass. The same thing is happening with the Gelish, and she is prone to getting cellulitis, so she came in this week and I just gave her a regular manicure with regular polish. I talked to her 2 days after getting her nails done and she said no burning or itching. I am thinking she has some allergic reaction to something in nail products and is getting worse as she gets older? (middle 50's) I'm hoping not to lose her as a nail client because she could just paint her nails herself. I just gently pushed her cuticles back, but did not clip cuticles. Do you think it is an allergic reaction getting worse over time? Is there a product or service you could recommend that would help keep the regular polish (I mainly use OPI) on natural nails longer without chipping, that would make her want to continue to get her nails done vs. just doing herself at home?

Redness, itching and swelling are sure signs of over-exposure/allergy.

There are hundreds if chemicals in the nail enhancements products we use, she could be allergic to anything in the process from polish remover to soap and anything in between. I'd be suggesting a visit to the doctor for allergy testing to discover exactly where the problem lies, then, hopefully adjusting your routine/treatment to allow her beautiful nails without further damaging her health.

I wouldn't be working on her until this is professionally assessed

Latest posts

Back