sorry...another tax thread!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enchanting Beauty

Reaction score
Hi all!

I've just received my notification to fill in a tax return. I am self-employed (mobile) but also work in a salon a couple of hours a week, maybe more if they need me. Do I need to declare any money earnt at the salon on my tax return? My employer has taken my NI details etc so don't want to end up declaring it twice.

If anyone can give me any info before I attempt to get through to the tax people, that would be great!

Thanks x

Hi, is your salon work self employed or are you employed by the owner. In any case, you should have to declare all earnings on the self assessment form. If you are on PAYE with the salon you should have a tax reference number that you can put on the form. The tax man will take all earnings into consideration when calculating your tax. Don't forget, if you don't declare all earnings they can still check on everything against NI number anyway, so best to be up front with them.

Your P60 will show all earnings so you don't need to worry about declaring twice.

Thanks for your reply Kamosa. I am employed by the salon but don't have a contract, so don't have a tax ref number or anything.

Think this might be one for the tax people then :rolleyes:

Hi again

If you have a PAYE slip from the Salon, that should show a tax reference and you can quote that. Maybe a chat to the taxman will clear things up for you but be prepared for a long wait on the phone:Scared:

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply Kamosa. I am employed by the salon but don't have a contract, so don't have a tax ref number or anything.

Think this might be one for the tax people then :rolleyes:
Tax ref number is not issued by your employer it's issued by the tax office and has nothing to do with having a work contract, who ever is running payroll should have your NI number, tax number, tax code, tax paid to date, earnings to date NI contributions and all of this information should be shown on your pay slip.
So before talking to your tax office, talk to your salon boss and make sure she has declared you as an employed worker. If she has not, then you are a self employed salon worker and if you say you are employed when she/he has not declared you as such, will involve your boss in tax fraud.;)

Thanks for your help everyone!
Will have a chat with my boss and find out!

Latest posts

Back