Spary Tanning - not happy with depthness of colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire-Bear

Reaction score
Sorry but this is a long one.......................

I use Sienna 8.5%, 10% and 12% - I trained in June 2009 and have carried out several tans since this time. My friend and I (who I did the training with) sprayed each other 3 times and I then moved onto tanning willing members of my family. Only using 8.5% and 10% and, although nice and even with no obvious 'dodgy areas' - the finished colour result, to my thinking, was very light. (At our training we were using 10% and it was a lot darker than I am seeing now!! - my family's colouring is medium)

Sprayed one of my sisters 10% on Thursday and have just seen photos of her weekend away (on Facebook) and she hasn't gone as dark as I would have expected! (I know its only a photo but I'm sat here now thinking and its knocking my confidence:cry:

Have used 12% on two teenagers (one medium skin and one pale olive)and although I didn't see the finished result - they sent me a text saying how great the tan was (I know that young girls like dark tans so at the time felt very pleased that they had taken the time to text me but now I'm wondering if it was actually as dark as I had visualised).
6 members of this family are booked in for tans next week - prior to a family cruise - but now I'm wondering if I should do them all a 12% just to be on the safe side even though 2 of them are quite pale - in my mind I was going to use 10% on the 3 palest and 12% on the darker ones.

Also I have been asked to carry out spray tans at a local pamper evening and am beginning to doubt my ability!!

No-one has complained but I am not getting the depthness of colour I was expecting!!!! I always thought of 8.5% as sun-kissed, 10% as sun-bronzed and 12% as sun-drenched.

My question is where am I going wrong? Using maximist turned to 20 to the hour (hykwim), using between 30 mls (size 8/10) to 40mls (size 14/16), spraying vertically at a hands distance away and following curves of body, doing the couch roll test, shaking solution before putting into cup. :idea:One thought I have had after just doing a quick search on this is that I am only putting 50mls of solution into the cup - should I be filling it up more to prevent too much air being taken in!!!:lol:

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

:idea:I think, as I'm always in trousers, I will spray my legs a selection of %'s and see how they look - at least I can see in my minds eye what the difference is.

Claire

i sprayed a blonde fair friend with 8% and she loved it. she went to a salon a week after (because i couldnt do it) and had st.tropez spray tan. she hated it and said it wasnt has near as dark as my sienna 8%.

I spray myself with 10% and i dont think its dark enough! but everyone else has like no compliants, i use 10% with most people now.

Sprayed another friend with 12% and she looked gorgous and loved it.

I think alot of it depepnds on a person your spraying and howittakes to there skin. Im thinking booster drops but you dont know what colour it will go and how it mix with solution. x

I don't think it's the solution................... I think it's my technique!!! So don't think booster drops would be the answer for my particular problem:confused:

The 8.5% is almost non-existent on light/medium skin tone - if I went for a tan, even a light one, I would at least expect to be able to tell I'd had it done!!!

Claire

How much solution are you using? Next time you tan someone actually measure an amount into your cup (if it doesnt have markings on the gun pot) then remeasure it after you've sprayed. If you're using less than 40ml then you could be spraying too light. Another thing to think about is the speed of your spraying - going too fast? Again you will be able to tell from how much you've used. Of course this is assuming you're not spraying too far away either. Here is how to check how far away you are spraying.

Make a fist
Open up your thumb and your little finger and spread out

This is how far away from the body you should be spraying.

HTH
Liz

People can use 25-30mls per tan and still get a good result so don't think that you are not using enough solution.
How many of the people that you have sprayed have you seen after the 6-8hour development time?
A tan takes time to develop and all you are seeing is the guide colour. If you spray more on then yes the guide colour will be darker but once they have showered they will be the same colour whether you have done one or two coats.
Different people have different ph levels on their skin so you can spray 2 pale people with say 8% and one could be quite darker than the other.
No-one has told you that they think they are too pale so it's probably just a little lack of confidence. No-one has complained so you must be doing everything right :hug:

i agree with angelina. i did 10 girls last week for thier debs . im using la tan and used 10 % on them all . my son had his debs so i went down t see him off and was admiring t girls dresses.and i could not believe that every one of them turned out a different colour . they all looked fab but al had thier own individual colour . it is def down t the ph level of a persons skin. its going to be a matter of getting to know the different colour and tones of their skin , no one has complained and their still coming back for more tans so your def doing something right . chin up girlie and have some faith in yourself . :hug:

Angelina

I have seen at least 3 people following their tans:

1. My niece - light skin tone - 8.5% used - she said she was pleased but her mum couldn't see any difference, I too thought it was very subtle.

2. My sister - medium skin tone (slight natural suntan on upper body) - 8.5% used - she said she liked the subtle effect but next time would like to have darker legs so could I use both. I saw her on day 3 and couldnt' really see that she'd been tanned!!

3. A client - medium skin tone (darkish natural suntan on upper body) - wanted legs only sprayed to match for daughters wedding - used 10% on legs only - saw her the following day for a pedicure - again nice result but was expecting to see a deeper colour.

4. Another sister (mother of no.1) - medium skin tone (natural suntan on upper body) - used 10% - have only seen photos of results but cannot see any obvious difference to her colour before tanning!!

Like you say its probably just a confidence thing..............I know from my training that 'results will vary' but if I was to pay to have a tan done I would want to be able to see it!!! I think I will spray my legs stripey when in the salon tomorrow and once I see the difference my confidence will be restored:lol:

Why use 8.5% on someone with light skin tone and medium skin tone?
Ok when i have new clients i obviously look at the colour of their skin. I always ask them what they do in the sun-do they burn, go red then tan or just tan.
If i have a pale person and it's their first time then i tend to give them an 8%. This is the lowest solution i stock so i use it for even very pale people and it's fine.
If they are pale but they tell me that they don't burn in the sun then i still like to use an 8 for their first time but i have on occassions used a 10. They will maybe have a 10 the next time or if they are happy with the 8 then they stick with that.
For medium skins i wouldn't usually go lower than a 10.
Darker skins i use anything up to an 18% :eek:
Obviuosly different sloutions will give different results. Some solutions are more golden colour and some are more brown.
I have tested lots of solutions and an 8% in one solution will be similar to a 10% in another solution.
It's all a matter of practice and getting to know your clients skin and your solution.
Have you sampled other solution?

Hi Angelina

I used the 8.5% on both the pale and medium skin tone because they both wanted a lightish tan and also I was probably afraid that I might make a mistake!!!:rolleyes:

The only other solution I have tried is Suntana (bought their kit and it came with 3 sample bottles) - 8% and 10% - both with similar results to Sienna.

I'm going to be really brave and ask my pale hubby if I can spray him - even if its only his back and then I can see the results. What a pair we will look, him with a stripey back and me with stripey legs!!!:confused:

I don't believe I'm spraying too quickly because I don't get any pooling (if thats a word) of solution.

I'll ring my sister later (the 10% that i've only seen in a photo) - she's the sort of person who says it how it is - perhaps that's why I'm getting paranoid:lol:

Thanks for all your comments and support so far.

Claire

Ive used sienna x and they have a good solution. With regards to their training I dont believe in group training, for alot of us we pick up spraytanning as our first intro in the beautiful world and well most of the groups ive either trained with or trained are freaked about being naked so not taking in the method.

I would suggest that you go back to making sure your clients follow the right prep routine because an unprep body makes a bad tan that most of the time doesnt take. I think from your emails you have the right idea with leaving the 8.5 for the conservate client and using the higher percentage on the wild ones.

You should alot yourself about eight mins for a average body and move slow and steady, with sienna xs colour guide you can see it going on to the skin so slowing down will help, sienna xs product should leave the skin tacky after the tan. So disconnect the gun and dry the client down well which will insure the tan sets into the top layers.

And if all else fails buy the sixteen percent and go to town!!!

Good luck!

Whilst DHA does the same thing - there are differing 'types' of DHA so its hard to guess what colour someone will turn out until you have sprayed them.

I ask them how they tan - if they burn, don't tan I use a 7 - 9%. If they any anyone else I use 9-11% or on darker clients 12+.

The lower percentage group DHA takes people up to a light tan, the middle a medium colour and the higher a darker colour. A 10% will look different on everyone because everyone tans a different colour too and PH/Hormones also play a part too.

Poor Quality DHA in a product will not produce as strong a tan meaning that clients could use an 18% in a range and it could be the same as a 10% in another range as the quality of the DHA is better.

You can use too little on the skin if your going too fast, spraying too far away from the client or just trying to use less solution.

Whilst you want to aim for using no more than 40ml per client don't worry about this straight from the start. Learn your solutions and application first, once you grasp this you can start turning your gun down so you use less again.

Keep practicising as you will get it really quickly and if your not getting negative feedback apart from a few people wanting to go darker then your doing well.

Ask your family a few days later to see their knicker line again so you can judge the development colour better. Its very easy for people to dismiss someone as looking the same if they cannot compare the skin next to itself.

I tan a lot of people completly naked and I doubt myself somedays as you have no knickerline to compare too.

Its all confidence and I promise you will get there.

Kate x

Latest posts

Back