Spas and complaints

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
I have a theory and I wonder what others make of this.

I work in a spa and I find that for every handful of nice clients, there seems to be a fair proportion of those who find something to complain about (and when I say find, I say they look with a very fine toothcomb for the smallest thing or sometimes even make it up!).

I think that if clients do this in a spa its easier for them because a spa is such a big place that it's their word againt the therapist who was working on them alone in some room some where and it's probably quite easy to be given the benefit of the doubt and then given a free treatment as a result.

I'm thinking that in a salon a client would be less likely to seek to complain. It's a smaller and more intimate environment and perhaps a client would have more difficulty in succeeding to exaggerate ("the room was too cold", "i didn't enjoy the treatment" etc).

What are your experiences with complaints? Do you think that different working environments lend themselves to different types/ammounts of complaint?

I appreciate in a spa that a client may be paying more for a treatment than in a salon so maybe this is a factor that holds some weight?

Ive worked in spas and salons, and I do not think it makes a difference! If a client has a tendancy to complain they will in either situations!

What I have found tho is that people who have bought groupon type deals tend to be the worse complainers!!

I have a theory and I wonder what others make of this.

I work in a spa and I find that for every handful of nice clients, there seems to be a fair proportion of those who find something to complain about (and when I say find, I say they look with a very fine toothcomb for the smallest thing or sometimes even make it up!).

I think that if clients do this in a spa its easier for them because a spa is such a big place that it's their word againt the therapist who was working on them alone in some room some where and it's probably quite easy to be given the benefit of the doubt and then given a free treatment as a result.

I'm thinking that in a salon a client would be less likely to seek to complain. It's a smaller and more intimate environment and perhaps a client would have more difficulty in succeeding to exaggerate ("the room was too cold", "i didn't enjoy the treatment" etc).

What are your experiences with complaints? Do you think that different working environments lend themselves to different types/ammounts of complaint?

I appreciate in a spa that a client may be paying more for a treatment than in a salon so maybe this is a factor that holds some weight?

Yes I have found this also! I think it's because it's not as personal they feel like they can complain because you are just a number! Where as in a salon, you get to know them much better as you see them all the time. And I do think it's because the price their paying also, they feel they can justify giving a good moan!xxx

I can honestly say that it has never been a major problem for us, maybe because our biggest tickets are massage/facials and people are relaxed afterwards!! Also we are more intimate that a resort type spa so this probably makes a difference too. I know all my clients and remember their names, family details etc. we treat them well and do everything in our power to make their trip to the spa a memorable one.

The only occasion anyone has said anything was to my nail tech and it was they didn't like the polish they had picked for their toes, we had already taken one colour off and they didn't like the second either, she picked both colours btw, but this was a much older lady(80s) and I find they speak, their mind more.

Funnily enough she is the only person I give a senior discount too and my tech says she is so particular/demanding to work with!

I remember there being quite a few complaints at the second spa I worked in but most of them were genuine and about a particular therapist. Obviously the footfall is much higher so I suppose more complaints are to expected.

I do agree with your points though. Come across some bizarre clients before. I did a back massage on a client and when I went to take the payment she refused and said that in the hotel room it stated free back massage with hotel break. She hadn't booked said break she just booked a normal room and as there was an advertisment in the room with this offer she decided she was eligible for it :eek: I was totally stunned she was so arrogant with it. I told the hotel duty manager who wasn't really that bothered, he said he would charge it to her room and when he went to do so realised that she had checked out straight after the massage !!!

I had another client for a facial and she decided she wasn't going to pay as she thought it was FREE. She tried to say that when the spa opened we did free 15min skin consultations which is what she booked in for ?!

Ive worked in spas and salons, and I do not think it makes a difference! If a client has a tendancy to complain they will in either situations!

What I have found tho is that people who have bought groupon type deals tend to be the worse complainers!!

Yes! like they get a cheaper deal in the first place and then try to push their luck further. I don't even think that they are interested in the treatment at all sometimes and just enjoy the thrill of deal seeking and getting freebies (I find it quite sad to be honest).

Another one that I have seen a few times is client's who say they are therapists (they may or may not be) and then rather than relax into the treatment, critisize you as you do it or afterwards.

Latest posts

Back