Spatula highlights

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosiegwill

Reaction score
do any of you use a spatula for highlighting?
i absolutely hate foiling i think i just don't do it enough been mobile.
i have no problem in any other part of hairdressing only this!
just wondering do any of you use this for your highlighting methods.
thanks rosie:biggrin:

Never Hun, I think May have used it 10 times in my 13 years of hairdressing!! Foils all the way for me.. X

iv been a mobile hairdresser for 4 years and never done the spatula! always foils! keep praticing you will get better x

I've not used spatula since I was a junior 10 years ago - the seniors where i trained used to use it alot as its a quick ( or lazy ) way to highlight . I always felt the colour mingled too much - as it all lays on top of each other ..

I use a spatular but only on a client who is 70% grey I use 9.3 which I want to catch on other hair, that works well, don't think I'd risk it with hi-lights tho x

Don't own one, if only the odd highlight is needed on the top I just wipe off any other colour I'm using after application then put the odd, and I mean like 3 or 4 highlights by parting, and just apply freehand to the wiped section xoxo

i owuldnt even know where to start with a spatula!!! im mobile and id say out of all my colour services 80% are foil hilights! i like doing them though :)

im now mobile but when i use to work in a salon a few years ago we use to use a spatula for highlighting hair with loreal platium blue or pink bleach its like a paste.When applied to the hair it stays where its put.When on a loreal course they rec using a spatula with this colour only as it would cut the time down it takes to do.I wouldnt use any other colour as it would get places you didnt want it too.

I haven't used a spatula in about 10 years lol what don't you like about foil highlights? I love doing them and get a big sense of achievement when I get a perfectly neat set of foils in within the hour lol xx

I'm guessing after looking at spatulas that you section the hair put the spatula to the section then twist it a little to pick up just a few strands? When I first seen it I thought omg all it can do is full head without using ur hand to press against xoxo

I'm guessing after looking at spatulas that you section the hair put the spatula to the section then twist it a little to pick up just a few strands? When I first seen it I thought omg all it can do is full head without using ur hand to press against xoxo

From memory - i used to weave/slice as normal, and place the spatula underneath like a foil, apply colour with tint brush and gently pull down until the hair drops, i didn't like it - very messy and results weren't great to be honest xx

Might get one to speed up the mid length and end coverage of full head applications, not highlights. They will hold more than my tiny hands can. Xoxo

Might get one to speed up the mid length and end coverage of full head applications, not highlights. They will hold more than my tiny hands can. Xoxo

Wouldn't be so sure about that! The amount of times I drop it and the teeth ping off in different directions!!

you weave hair as normal and put your spatula in and color were needed! have only done high lift and for me it came out fine i tend to but a bit of cotton wool underneath each section to lift it from other hair.
i suppose for me i don;t think i get close enough to the root with tinfoil and still a bit finger an thumbs as i don't do them a lot.
just wondering for those who done it what they thought of it?

Oh god can't believe people still use them things we didn't even use one when doing my training and that was about 10 years ago, I've never used one. Xx

Latest posts

Back