Special FX Foils with Gel Polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x_pen_x

Reaction score
My mum found a couple of old Special FX Foil kits that she bought years ago, mostly unused so I started to play around with them. Ive not tried foils before but ive watched the youtube videos using foils and shellac etc, looks fairly straight forward. I use OPI Gelcolor and pretty much had no luck with these foils :/ Base coat only seemed to get the most coverage, but not great and then when I tried with 2 layers of cured Gelcolor the foils didnt stick at all, they just slid around, or the tiniest amount would come off after a lot of pressure. I know they come with adhesive but thought most/all foils could be used with gel polish? Anyone use these, or use them with gelcolor? Could it be because the foils are old or purely down to my technique? Im using them pattern side facing me so the 'blank' side touches the gel, any ideas would be appreciated as it'd be a shame to waste them :)

Thanks x

Wipe off the tacky layer and use foil glue. Let dry 10 minutes or cure in your lamp before applying foil.

Can you not use these foils without glue? The glues pretty old too was hoping not to have to use it. Will get some irresistible foils on my next S2 order :)

Can you not use these foils without glue? The glues pretty old too was hoping not to have to use it. Will get some irresistible foils on my next S2 order :)

I use the irresistible foils and they are fab. I do mine with shellac like this:
Base coat, cure
Colour coat, cure
Press foils onto tacky layer
Topcoat, cure x2

They are a joy to work with, no messing about.

Some of the older ones I have from years ago don't work with shellac at all in the tacky layer unless you use the glue after topcoat which is faff
Xx

So I'm guessing it might be the case that without the glue these foils won't work? :( shame, some of them are really nice heh

Any particular glue people recommend? And I saw you mentioned 2 top coats, is this always the case with foils?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

i have alot of the old special fx foils to and to be honest alot of them were useless especially the gingham and striped the flower ones are usually quite good if they will work with the glue they will work without in general but some are better with the glue,

Yes i would always add a second layer of topcoat to make them last

Latest posts

Back