Split ends - how have I caused them?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I posted this on ask a pro but no response so thought I'd just see what everyone thought pro or not.

Had s trim last week, had 2" off and it was looking in really good condition and now can see split ends already!! What am I doing to cause this so quickly?

I'm using lOreal absolute repair lipidium shampoo & cond bought from salon

I've washed 3 times, have ghd dryer and straightener, hairdresser told me ghd are so hot I do not need a protecting serum so presume that's right.

Any ideas? Thank you x

Whats your hair texture like?

Whereabouts are the split ends?

Do you use heat protection?

Last edited:
Texture fine but lots of it

Er - on the ends [emoji2] lol no I know what you meant, they're mostly at the back but a bit st the sides too

No as stated my hairdresser has always said not to as ghd straighteners heat to such a high temperature it seals the hair and there's no need for heat protection? Do you think this is right? I feel like I might get some anyway.

Thanks for your reply

What a weird thing to suggest. Obviously the hotter something is the more damaging it will be (thats what i would thougt) like a hot day the hotter it is you should up your spf

Texture fine but lots of it

Er - on the ends [emoji2] lol no I know what you meant, they're mostly at the back but a bit st the sides too

No as stated my hairdresser has always said not to as ghd straighteners heat to such a high temperature it seals the hair and there's no need for heat protection? Do you think this is right? I feel like I might get some anyway.

Thanks for your reply

Fine hair can be more prone to split ends.

No i mean are they mostly at the ends or mid shaft too?

Definitely NOT[emoji33] why would she say that? Thats probably attributing to your split ends because the heat is destroying your cuticle, of course this isn't your fault because you've been miss-informed.

Get an olaplex treatment, a good smoothing treatment and keep using moisturising shampoo and conditioner because the straighteners will dry all that moisture up, and definitely use heat protection from now on...

I can't believe she'd suggest and believe that herself .

Haven't read responses but what a load of rubbish!! Ghds are soooo hot (215 degrees plus) that without heat protection you will fry your hair. This is probably why you are experiencing dryness and split ends. You need to either stop flat ironing your hair and invest in some good treatments or exactly that again - treatments AND heat protection.

Cams it's just the ends.

It must be the ghd's then, that's crazy I could've been protecting my hair!!

I guess if I have split ends I might go back for another cut quicker? What a cynic I am! This hairdresser is mid forties and owner of the salon for years, so I really thought I was paying top money for skill and good advice :(

Is an olaplex treatment something you have done st a salon, if so what brand is it as my current salon use lOreal but I may change

What would anyone recommend for protection?

I use the ghd curl spray or ghd heat protection. Both are very good.

I'm not sure of where you are based but Olaplex is available everywhere now so see if a friend can recommend you somewhere or perhaps post here and someone can help you.

Ok thank you.

I'm between Bournemouth and Southampton. I'll do some googling, thank you SPF x

To be fair, MOST long hair will have split ends
It's OLD, DEHYDRATED & ABUSED!

Our hair is dead fiber from the moment it emerges from the scalp, and we then.....
Over wash it, under condition it, blow it, iron it, bake it in the sun, colour it, bleach it......
Then we exclaim....
"WHY DO HAVE I HAVE SPLIT ENDS........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Treat your hair as you would an expensive cashmere sweater........., or your favorite silk blouse.

MOISTURISE, MOISTURISE, MOISTURISE, your mid-lengths and ends.
Go easy on the heated appliances, and be sure to only use salon quality home care;)

Red star I realise that :) but literally I have only had a cut last week and there were no split ends at all, and 1 week later there are. Since I've been using salon bought shampoo & conditioner each time I've washed, (and have for about 18 months) I just thought I was doing the right things so wanted to get to the bottom of it.

Is every other day or so over-washing? My hair is as oily today as when I was 14 so not possible to go longer. It's seen no proper sun for months and isn't bleached

I don't think I treat it badly. But wanted to get to the bottom of it - I think I'll def get the protector

Red star I realise that :) but literally I have only had a cut last week and there were no split ends at all, and 1 week later there are. Since I've been using salon bought shampoo & conditioner each time I've washed, (and have for about 18 months) I just thought I was doing the right things so wanted to get to the bottom of it.

Is every other day or so over-washing? My hair is as oily today as when I was 14 so not possible to go longer. It's seen no proper sun for months and isn't bleached

I don't think I treat it badly. But wanted to get to the bottom of it - I think I'll def get the protector

Hair at the root may well be oily. but the further down the hair shaft you go, the moisture and oil content diminishes, and hair becomes brittle.
The longer the hair, the older it is, and the more likely it is to split.
If your hair is past your shoulders, consider what its been through over the last few years, not months.
Do you colour your hair?

So is 3 times a week with a salon recommended shampoo and conditioner including masque for 15 mins once a week too much?

It's only a tad past shoulder length now, I asked for 4" off but he only took 2". I didn't realise as the front is shorter anyway but when he showed me the back in the mirror I could see he hadn't taken off what I asked but with his next client waiting I didn't make a fuss as to re-cut would have eaten into her time I guess - reading all this back I think it's time to try somewhere else lol

Can I ask what brush I should be using to come through? I'm currently using a paddle brush after washing and I have a range of different sized Head Jog brushes for styling

What shampoo & conditioner using? If you've been using the same one for the past 18 months this could be the problem, if it's a protein based one!

What shampoo & conditioner using? If you've been using the same one for the past 18 months this could be the problem, if it's a protein based one!

Yes virtually, the one my hairdresser recommended and sold me (lipidium) and was happy to re-sell etc, he never said what you said, but then he also said I wouldn't need to use a heat protection product as ghd's were so hot they would seal the hsir and avoid damage which people on this thread have disagreed with so seriously doubting what I was told.

Since I last posted on this thread I've changed hairdresser, had another cut and am using a heat defence spray and my hair is in great shape ATM, trying to keep it that way. I shall vary the shampoo and conditioners then

Last edited:

Would a shampoo cause split ends though?

Blossom's hairdresser doesn't appear to be completely wrong, I think it's maybe been misinterpreted somewhere (not by Blossom) and this review says:-

[QUOTEGHD stylers seal in your hair’s natural oils, moisture and color.][/QUOTE]

From this review:-
http://www.behindthescenesmakeup.com/reviews/review-ghd-hair-straightener/

Yes it's very old, but I know I'd heard something similar which is why I went hunting for it. I use GHD's everyday on short (inverted bob), fine, thin hair and don't have any problems with split ends, burning or anything. I also wash, condition and blow-dry it everyday without any problems. I think it's because I don't use any products that my hair is OK, my friend who religiously uses heat protection has this weird, dull, heavy look to her hair and envies my swishy bob :cool::D

Oh wow well done Trinity for finding that! Very interesting, some bedtime reading for me on this thread [emoji6]

Am now sporting a swishy shoulder length bob myself [emoji2]

I've bought Nicky Clarke's heat protection spray now - to use or not to use? That is the question ....

Blossom's hairdresser doesn't appear to be completely wrong, I think it's maybe been misinterpreted somewhere (not by Blossom) and this review says:-

[QUOTEGHD stylers seal in your hair’s natural oils, moisture and color.]

From this review:-
http://www.behindthescenesmakeup.com/reviews/review-ghd-hair-straightener/

Yes it's very old, but I know I'd heard something similar which is why I went hunting for it. I use GHD's everyday on short (inverted bob), fine, thin hair and don't have any problems with split ends, burning or anything. I also wash, condition and blow-dry it everyday without any problems. I think it's because I don't use any products that my hair is OK, my friend who religiously uses heat protection has this weird, dull, heavy look to her hair and envies my swishy bob :cool::D[/QUOTE]

What you've got to remember is that everyones hair is different. I have clients who get cuts once a year and don't get any split ends, whereas i'll cut my sisters and she'll straighten it once causing split ends to the point it needs cutting again.

Some peoples hair is just more prone to split ends and to prevent that you need products. Products will not 'cause' split ends.

Some peoples hair is also naturally dryer than others, usually coarser hair types, whereas finer hair is much more shiny and smooth due to more moisture, and so your 'swishy' hair @Trinity [emoji12] but thats not to say fine hair isn't going to get split ends because not everyone with fine hair has a lot of moisture in it, hence blossom's fine hair with split ends. I find you're at one end of the scale or the other.

Blossom please use the hear protection spray, you'll do more bad than good not to.

As for a straightening iron sealing in natural oils, yes they do... Natural oils generally don't reach the ends of your hair otherwise it'd be oil from root to tip when it hasn't been washed. But putting the straighteners on too high a hear would cause any products or oils on the hair to evaporate.

Latest posts

Back