Splitting tips and peeling gel!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emma1508

Reaction score
Please can someone advise I did 2 customers last Friday with the edge White tips, clear gel over the top. But both customers have complained that the gel is just peeling away! And the white tips are splitting. Method I used was....prep the nail, apply tip, buff over again slightly to remove shine, primer to natural nail, apply clear gel, cure for 2 mins, apply gel, cure 2 mins, apply uv top coat, cure 2 mins. What am I doing wrong? Please help!

Please can someone advise I did 2 customers last Friday with the edge White tips, clear gel over the top. But both customers have complained that the gel is just peeling away! And the white tips are splitting. Method I used was....prep the nail, apply tip, buff over again slightly to remove shine, primer to natural nail, apply clear gel, cure for 2 mins, apply gel, cure 2 mins, apply uv top coat, cure 2 mins. What am I doing wrong? Please help!

if i remember rightly reading other threads about "splitting tips" is not enough product over the tips x

Also your sopose to pull the gel over the edge slightly because it shrinks in the light so it wont peel I think I remember that from school, I dont do gel anymore just acrylic.

Hi, The usual reason for tips splitting is that you may not have used a big enough tip and maybe flattened the c curve of the tip to fit onto the nailbed instead. Where is the gel peeling? If it's around the cuticle area it's normally because there was still some non living tissue on the nail plate when the gel was applied. HTH xxxx

No it's not around he cuticle line it's on the tips

What products are you using?

And you're using the same tips for the brand?

The only reasons I can think are incorrect tip sizes, getting bonder or dehydrator on the tip, or not wrapping the top coat over the edge...

Would gettin dehydrator on the tip cause peeling. As if I've buffed over the tip to remove the shine I clean it with dehydrator??

I just dust off after brushing and then only use my scrubfresh on the natural nail.

Thanks so much. Redoing their nails
Tomorrow so will take your advice on board ;)

wow that made no sense lol i was super tired.

i meant i just dust off after buffing ahahaha

I know the feeling lol. Is it right that I give the White tip a quick buff before applying gel ? It's really thrown my confidence :( thanks for this tho x

Would gettin dehydrator on the tip cause peeling. As if I've buffed over the tip to remove the shine I clean it with dehydrator??

Try not to get any bonder or scrubfresh on the tip - dust it to get rid off bits, but then you must use scrubfresh on the nail, so be careful and make sure you don't touch the tip.
xx

Some gels shrink more than others when curing, especially if they are not high end products. This puts pressure on the tips and squeezes them and causes vertical splitting.

With gels that shrink excessively you need to cap the free edge well so that when the product pulls back on curing, it is still along the free edge of the nail, otherwise it will tend to peel.

Getting dehydrator, bonder, or sanitiser on the tips also can cause splitting.

Using too small a tip or forcing a curved tip on a flat nail can cause splitting.

When you use dehydrator or bonder or sanitiser on the tip it makes it shiny and smooth again where you have buffed it. Gel will peel off a shiny surface. Your bonders and dehydrators and sanitisers are only meant to be used on the natural nail.

Lots to learn isn't there?

Isn't there just. And to be honest the training I had was very poor as I have now learnt. Thank you all though for your help ;)

Hi,

I just wanted to jump in on this too:

I too have just finished my training- I did an intense training course and am using The Edge products.

I have also been told to use the dehydrator to wipe the whole nail after filing and before applying gel or acrylic. I have found my client's white tips (the edge) split and peel also. So thank you to this post as I will no longer do this!

However, I have also been told and shown that after buffing (for infills) to use dehydrator to clean whole nail and extension to remove dust. I have found that this is causing lifting, would this product do that or could something else be the cause?

I just want to point out that it is a cleanser and dehydrator in one-not sure if that makes a difference? My teacher told me that this is the same as a scrub-fresh?

Many Thanks,

Hi,

I just wanted to jump in on this too:

I too have just finished my training- I did an intense training course and am using The Edge products.

I have also been told to use the dehydrator to wipe the whole nail after filing and before applying gel or acrylic. I have found my client's white tips (the edge) split and peel also. So thank you to this post as I will no longer do this!

However, I have also been told and shown that after buffing (for infills) to use dehydrator to clean whole nail and extension to remove dust. I have found that this is causing lifting, would this product do that or could something else be the cause?

I just want to point out that it is a cleanser and dehydrator in one-not sure if that makes a difference? My teacher told me that this is the same as a scrub-fresh?

Many Thanks,

Just to let you know ... You have not just finished your trainig ... You have only just begun your training. And there is not anything that is the same as Scrub Fresh but only Scrub Fresh.

Latest posts

Back