Spray tan & breastfeeding

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petals

Reaction score
Hi, had a client come in for a spray tan yesterday. She is breastfeeding and was worried about having her breasts tanned incase it affected her baby when breastfeeding. Does anyone know if you can tan clients breasts if they are breastfeeding please?? Thanks:eek:

No your not supposed to spray tan the area of the breasts when someone is breast feeding.

hths x

From a chemistry point of view, DHA and erythulose (the active tanning ingredients in most spray tans) are simple sugar molecules and are completely safe and non-toxic. As would be the Maillard reaction products that will be created when the DHA and erythulose react with amino acid groups in the top layer of the skin (Maillard reaction products are common in many foods, e.g. bread, and are formed when sugars react with proteins when heated or exposed to oxygen).

Depending on the other ingredients in the spray tan liquid, it may be advisable to not breast feed until the colour guide is washed off.

Or, if extra paranoid, treat the areolae with barrier cream, so no spray tan solution is absorbed there.
Posted via Mobile Device

hi,

i've heard of a few folk who would express for the night they will have their tan on.

or they use breast pads whilst getting the tan so that area is protected

Im not sure if its 'safe' or not but i wouldn't advise it for several reasons,

• Risk of baby licking around that area, probably going to get some residue until solution washed off.
  • Most (if not all) tans have an odour, some babies can feed for up to 40 minutes at a time so don't think there little noses would want to be smelling fake tan for that long.
  • When breast feeding the baby comes into a lot more flesh than just the nipple so until the tan is washed off they are going to be rubbing there face into the tan !
Im breastfeeding at the moment and i won't start using fake tan again until ive stopped.

From a chemistry point of view, DHA and erythulose (the active tanning ingredients in most spray tans) are simple sugar molecules and are completely safe and non-toxic. As would be the Maillard reaction products that will be created when the DHA and erythulose react with amino acid groups in the top layer of the skin (Maillard reaction products are common in many foods, e.g. bread, and are formed when sugars react with proteins when heated or exposed to oxygen).

Depending on the other ingredients in the spray tan liquid, it may be advisable to not breast feed until the colour guide is washed off.

Or, if extra paranoid, treat the areolae with barrier cream, so no spray tan solution is absorbed there.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's pretty impressive stuff there Ruth :hug:

That's pretty impressive stuff there Ruth :hug:

Thanks Collin :)

Am sure there are probably nastier things in lots of toiletries that new mums would be using anyway; as you will surely know, a lot of the professional spray tan formulations are free from chemicals like parabens that often crop up in most shampoos and shower gels etc.

I spray tan a couple of ppl every week who are breastfeeding. One expresses and feeds from a bottle on the night of her tan and the other (my sister) wears a pair of diposable knickers over her boobs so the tan doesn't get on my niece or in her mouth. She sometimes wears a sprappy top with the straps down too so her shoulder are tanned (it depends on her frame of mind I think - I can never predict her frankly!)

Latest posts

Back