Spray tan problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suziebean2014

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am new to SalonGeek and hope you can help me!

I have been tanning for around 2.5 years now and have many happy clients. One of my newer girls is having a problem with her tan which I can't work out! She has now had two tans with the exact same problem. She told me straight away on her first tan that she has Graves' disease. This is a thyroid problem which causes her to sweat more than usual. She still wanted to go ahead with the tan, although I told her she was not to overheat as it would ruin the tan. We did have a few runny patches, but we managed to get her tan looking good with a bit of extra attention to these areas.
She washed off and messaged me the next day saying that her tan was amazing apart from the inside of her arm which was patchy. This was not one of the sweaty areas. Of course, I double checked that she had not been wearing perfume, not accidentally splashed any water up her arm. She did have a water based moisturiser on, but I do not believe this would have affected the tan? And if it did, I would have thought it would have affected all over?
She booked in for another tan and the same happened. She was showering as I walked into her house, so I know she did not have any barriers on the skin. I told her not to use any other products in the shower either, to be safe. The second time I would say the patchiness was worse.

I have been thinking about it for a while now. Is it possible that medication, and her condition could affect the ph of only her underarm?! I have a prep spray that I have never used or been taught to use. Do you think spraying a little of this on the area would help, or will I end up making an even bigger mess. I have offered her a free tan so that we can get to the bottom of the problem. Luckily she has been really nice about it. I hope you can all help me!x

Its actually not a good idea to shower immediately before a tan its better to let the natural ph of the skin settle back to normal first.

Ok, but would showering immediately before cause just her underarms to be patchy? I am trying to work out how to add a picture so you can see! It's not just slightly patchy, but very obvious!x

Underarms are probably patchy because she still has some deodorant residue there.I would imagine that because she has the disease that makes her sweat more she may well be using a very strong anti perspirant.Or she may keep layering it on through the day.Its probably not being removed fully in the shower.

Is she on meds for the condition could also be that.Although I would have thought the patches would be more general.

Not sure if I've added the pic here. It is not up by her armpits that it is patchy so not caused by sweat. I thought maybe the meds, but it seems strange that it is this one area both times. Just wondering if prep spray would help?x

Oh sorry read the underarms bit wrong. I don't think it's deodarant either tho, for the same reason. If anything, I expected her armpits to be patchy but apparently they are good!!x

I've never used a prep spray so can't be of help with that one.

I've never used a prep spray so can't be of help with that one.

I have a prep and post spray I use on my clients.
Prep wi balance the ph so make sure to try it. Spray it on rub it in and start spraying right away. After tan, if you have a port spray, lightly spray all over body and let dry- do not rub in. Hope this might help :) good luck

Can you try and upload a picture please?? Be interesting to see the patch and hopefully advise.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would certainly try the prep spray for sure. You can shower just before a spray tan with Unreal so that rule doesn't always apply. There could be many reasons why those areas only were affected. If she perspires easily then perhaps she had her arms folded? Without knowing exactly where the patches are its difficult to add anything further. When any clients suffers these strange patchy or bald areas there is always a reason. Quite often on legs its because they sat cross legged for long periods, inner arms in the crease because they always have their arms folded and they get a bit sweaty etc. HTH

I have a prep and post spray I use on my clients.
Prep wi balance the ph so make sure to try it. Spray it on rub it in and start spraying right away. After tan, if you have a port spray, lightly spray all over body and let dry- do not rub in. Hope this might help :) good luck

Thank for that-I will definitely give it a go!
I do have a picture but having problems uploading it!! I'll keep trying!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 236
Yay the picture worked!! The patchy area is above the elbow but below the armpit. It dosent look like she has been folding her arms, but I will mention it to her. I'll definitely be taking my prep spray along with me! Thanks for your input everyone!!xx

Yay the picture worked!! The patchy area is above the elbow but below the armpit. It dosent look like she has been folding her arms, but I will mention it to her. I'll definitely be taking my prep spray along with me! Thanks for your input everyone!!xx

To me it looks like water splodges. Where she's got something on herself..

Hi I've been tanning for 5 years now and have seen this a few times what I would recommend is to buy a manual tan the same colour as your spray solution and use a mitt to patch over the problem area after the spray tan while the tan is drying. Use small sweeping movements to help blend in. Or the other issues could be due to the thyroid problem there does tend to be skin sensitivity and it can often cause a change in pigmentation with or without tan. Hth x

The patchiness dosent show up until she washes off, so I cannot fix it while I am there unfortunately. When I was there, both times, the area looked great! I did ask about whether she had splashed herself and she said no, and as it has happened twice I am inclined to believe her. I agree it must be to do with her condition, just odd that it is so localised! Going to try the prep spray anyway and see if that helps.x

I know this won't be the answer to your problem but I have a similar problem with my sister. She has sever eczema as a child and when I spray her arm it covers fine but after she showers the next morning she has a patch similar to this on her lower arm. From what I remember it's the patches she suffered from badly and it's almost like scars from the eczema that don't seem to take in the tan as much

It looks to me like a hand mark!

If it's the same area each time try adding the manual over when you've sprayed, also ask her to wear a loose long sleeved top sometimes when I sleep with tan on I find I sometimes have a hand mark on my shoulder. X

Would a fast tan help? ? So she could wash off after a couple of hours? ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back