Spray tan while pregnant?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natm

Reaction score
I am 24 weeks pregnant and I spray tan ladies on a regular basis. Is this ok? I don't wear a mask as I always forget and they annoy me. Are the fumes bad for you? I use sienna x. It won't harm baby will it? xxx

Nobody knows whether its safe or not.Tan solution has only been passed as safe for topical use and not inhalation.There are all sorts of chemicals in it not just DHA.
It probably has done your baby no harm at all but the fact you are asking shows you have concerns.
I think everyone should wear a mask and use extractors if they are doing lots of tans pregnant or not.

I am pregnant and have been spray tanning but I always wear a mask even before I was pregnant.

You probably haven't caused any harm to your baby but maybe you should wear a mask for your own peace of mind.

Sent from my CUBOT ONE using SalonGeek mobile app

Nobody knows whether its safe or not.Tan solution has only been passed as safe for topical use and not inhalation.There are all sorts of chemicals in it not just DHA.
It probably has done your baby no harm at all but the fact you are asking shows you have concerns.
I think everyone should wear a mask and use extractors if they are doing lots of tans pregnant or not.

Im completely with Gillian on this ...its so important to act on the side of caution as different brands incorporate many different additives within there formulation s it might just be worthwhile giving them a quick call...just for peace of mind

Indeed a mask might be a tad uncomfortable but well worth the effort ....additionally pay particular attention with regard to extraction.. if you have an extract module make sure you take extra care in keeping the filters clean so that the maximum amount of airborne particles are effectively removed

HTH and good luck.... is it a boy or girl that's just about to enter the world

I was told in training that spray tanning won't harm an unborn baby.
However, It was advised that we don't spray tan anyone under 3 months as this is when most miscarriages can occur and the spray tan might be blamed.
This was for a client though !
I'd be inclined to wear a mask if I was pregnant ( heaven forbid ) and spray tanning all day :)

I spray tanned my clients till I was 9 weeks wearing a mask. After that, I waited till after I delivered.
My concern was I hailing the fumes.
Didn't want to cause anything even though it's not 100% guaranteed it won't do anything.
As for clients, I only sprayed them if they were farther then 12 weeks.

Wear a mask if concerned, I am 23 weeks pregnant and spray tan and have spray tans as normal.

:)

Hi,
The recent articles in the Daily Newspapers have all highlighted there may be a risk to health from Spray Tanning. They were not exactly scaremongering but did little to point out that the risk was deemed to be from inhalation of Spray Tanning Solution and not the application on the skin. We, at Ambermist, have always advocated that proper extraction and ventilation is necessary not only for the cleanliness of your room but the health of both the client and the therapist. Everyone who has been spray tanning without extraction, masks or nose filters and blows their nose afterwards will know what they have probably inhaled. We were the first company to introduce extractors specifically designed for spray tanning in the UK in 2005. We now have washable nose filters that are easy to use and stop the inhalation of the tan for those that don't like the "Homer Simpson" look that you can get with a mask.
Everyone should avoid the inhalation of Spray Tan Solution whatever the make, where ever possible, especially when pregnant! Companies that promote their solutions as being "heavier than other solutions so no extraction is needed" are being naive at best. Asbestosis was not discovered as a killer until many years after the event!
Ambermist

Hi,
The recent articles in the Daily Newspapers have all highlighted there may be a risk to health from Spray Tanning. They were not exactly scaremongering but did little to point out that the risk was deemed to be from inhalation of Spray Tanning Solution and not the application on the skin. We, at Ambermist, have always advocated that proper extraction and ventilation is necessary not only for the cleanliness of your room but the health of both the client and the therapist. Everyone who has been spray tanning without extraction, masks or nose filters and blows their nose afterwards will know what they have probably inhaled. We were the first company to introduce extractors specifically designed for spray tanning in the UK in 2005. We now have washable nose filters that are easy to use and stop the inhalation of the tan for those that don't like the "Homer Simpson" look that you can get with a mask.
Everyone should avoid the inhalation of Spray Tan Solution whatever the make, where ever possible, especially when pregnant! Companies that promote their solutions as being "heavier than other solutions so no extraction is needed" are being naive at best. Asbestosis was not discovered as a killer until many years after the event!
Ambermist

amen to that ...to a point...however the comparison between "asbestos" and that of DHA is somewhat dubious and poles apart and it is these sorts of comparisons that only create unnecessary fear by those that are not well informed and provides fodder for the media to feast upon :wink2:

Yes of course, as has been stated throughout this thread , no ones knows what the future holds and that taking precautions for those that are pregnant is of course essential and wise ...as well as for those that aren't of course pregnant

In so far as nose filters are concerned, otherwise known as "sniffits" I personally don't believe these give adequate protection...simply by virtue of the fact they may well block the nose and subsequent inhalation of air through the nostrils the wearer simply breaths any airborne partials directly into the lungs through the mouth ..the net result being the same :eek:

The best way by far to mitigate the problem is to install adequate extraction/air purification, the wearing of masks but to also look at the application of the solution itself

Far to many operators apply far to much solution generally as a result of the fact they are holding the gun to far from the skin surface and therefore creating considerably more overspray and airborne particles

Additionally many are taught to make two applications which, if the first application is applied correctly, is really not needed and simply creates double the amount of exposure into the lungs and twice the consumption of solution

By turning down the output volume and working closer to the skin with just one application (which is all that is needed and how we, at Tantrick, have taught for many years now) dramatic reductions in airborne particles will be achieved...the net result being not only more comfort for everyone concerned and far less future risk but far less clearing up at the end of each day and of course additional profit through using less....a complete win win situation for all ...except of course the manufactures who would sell through far less solution :wink2:

HTH

Last edited:
Hi,
It is perfectly obvious that we are not making a "comparison between Asbestos and Dha", we are simply pointing out that the dangers of Asbestos were not revealed for many years. We have never heard the term "sniffit's" for any product but as our nose filters do not restrict airflow and remove 97% of particles, 7 microns, (invisible to the naked eye) and above, they are highly effective. They are certainly better than nothing which is what a lot of therapists use. Obviously it would be better to have no overspray at all. but that, is impossible.
Ambermist

Hi,
It is perfectly obvious that we are not making a "comparison between Asbestos and Dha", we are simply pointing out that the dangers of Asbestos were not revealed for many years. We have never heard the term "sniffit's" for any product but as our nose filters do not restrict airflow and remove 97% of particles, 7 microns, (invisible to the naked eye) and above, they are highly effective. They are certainly better than nothing which is what a lot of therapists use. Obviously it would be better to have no overspray at all. but that, is impossible.
Ambermist

Speaking, as I was ,from a non brand specific perspective there is no doubt that simply by changing or looking atones technique and number of applications applied will significantly reduce the levels of airborne particles (in some cases by up to 50%)

Sometimes it is better to look at the problem from the perspective of prevention rather than from one of providing means only to mop up the problem after the event :wink2:

Most cars are fitted with airbags to protect in the even of a collision. A good thing. However simply by driving carefully makes for a far better option to the problem :wink2:

OH ...sniffits have been around since the dawn of time(showing my age now :eek::lol::lol: )

HTH :Grope::hug:.....:Love:

Last edited:
I have sprayed many pregnant women and I ask them to wear a mast, only taking it off to spray the face at the very end.

Hi,
Whilst we would agree that any "reduction in airbourne particles" would be a good thing, the topic of this thread is "24 weeks pregnant and I spray tan ladies on a regular basis. Is this ok? Are the fumes bad for you?"
Whilst Tantrick may have perfected the art of spray tanning they will not have eliminated overspray in the air. The answer to the question, in our opinion, is not to spray whilst pregnant without taking proper precautions, mask, nose filters, extraction etc, car airbags have nothing to do with it!
Ambermist

Hi,
Whilst we would agree that any "reduction in airbourne particles" would be a good thing, the topic of this thread is "24 weeks pregnant and I spray tan ladies on a regular basis. Is this ok? Are the fumes bad for you?"
Whilst Tantrick may have perfected the art of spray tanning they will not have eliminated overspray in the air. The answer to the question, in our opinion, is not to spray whilst pregnant without taking proper precautions, mask, nose filters, extraction etc, car airbags have nothing to do with it!
Ambermist

indeed ..

that said, and speaking from a non brand perspective (again) it is none the less relevant for the purposes of providing informative information relating to the posted question and any issues that may come about through it particularly given that there are possible risks involved in excessive inhalation into the lungs of excessive amounts of not only DHA solution but any liquids and that precautions need to be taken and put into place that best protect the customer and therapist.. pregnant or not

Clearly in addition to the obvious ones of providing extraction/air purification and the wearing of masks ,it is appropriate to also look at the reasons why there may well be excessive airborne particles flying about in the first place

Whilst of course there is no way(irrespective of which ever brands or training techniques applied )that fully and completely eradicates overspray however a look at how one applies the solution and adjusts the technique could ,and will in many cases, significantly reduce the overspray volumes and the "potential" inhalation risks and overall comfort and safety of all

It would be fair to say ,that weather driving a car or applying a spray tan ..that prevention against possible complications or harm is a far better angle from which to come from than that of trying to find a cure post event and simply relying on the feel good factor and protection of an airbag tucked away within the steering wheel :wink2:

HTH :hug:

Hi
We fail to see that the comment "and how we, at Tantrick, have taught for many years now" is "non brand specific again" or what the "weather" while driving a car has to do with anything!
Ambermist

Hi
We fail to see that the comment "and how we, at Tantrick, have taught for many years now" is "non brand specific again" or what the "weather" while driving a car has to do with anything!
Ambermist

"we" ????

Im not wishing to participate further in such "off topic" distractions and brand representations .... its probably in the best interests of the thread in terms of providing" relevant" information if you do so also and simply stick to providing useful general information and support to the posted questions without further reference to the products you as a company alone can specifically supply :wink2:

Hi,
We do not recall making any "off topic" comments only replying to yours, sniffits, cars, airbags etc. We are not the only company that supplies these products but you, obviously, do not.

Hi,
We do not recall making any "off topic" comments only replying to yours, sniffits, cars, airbags etc. We are not the only company that supplies these products but you, obviously, do not.

Who is "we" are you speaking on behalf of others also ??

Either way having tried in vain to redirect you back to the topic there is no further comment to be made

Last edited:
As said by many, better safe than sorry. I would always wear a mask / nose filters whilst I was pregnant and spraying. Annoying but not worth the risk.
As Gillian said tested for topical use not inhalation as far as I am aware so until it has a stamp of approval best to air on the side of caution :wink2:

Latest posts

Back