Spray Tanning Doing My Head In!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaniBeautyAngel

Reaction score
Bit of a rant to let of some steam! So
Spray Tans been doing them for about 3 months now love doing them but I do my sisters and my mum they come out lovely one of them didn't even exfoliate but still came out perfect, do them on clients there is always guaranteed a problem, didn't develop, was streaky, didnt develop on such and such areas, face doesn't look brown etc etc. I'm using the exact same technique exact same solution, i just don't understand how it can come out perfect on family but not on paying clients. Grrrrr

Hiya
It sounds like something they could be doing not you!
Do you drum it into them what they should be doing before?
I always say no shaving, moisturiser or oily products within 24 hours.
I also say in the run up to the tan exfoliate & moisturise well.
I say the better condition your skin is in the better the tan will take & last.
Spray tanning is sooo dependent on the client, even if you think they know what to do tell them again.
I once did a girl & her mum & the girl phoned to say it was really patchy but her mums was perfect. We narrowed it down to hair conditioner left on her back!!
Chin up
Caroline xxxx

Totally know how you feel!

I've been at it a short time too and when something goes wrong it stresses me out!! Need advise on how to stay calm and as previous post says it seems the hardest thing is to control what clients are doing before they come to us!!!!

Exactly relying so much on the client to make sure their skin is prepped, my exfoliating could be completely different to the clients way of exfoliating. Very frustrating, I've done a couple free of charge but can't keep offering it to everyone. Will keep drumming the pre tan info into them. Thank you :)

(Hugs) maybe send the clients a reminder txt the day before, just going over the prep they need to do again, just in case they forget

I quite agree. Skin prep is so important and really counts towards achieving a perfect tan. I always mention this on the telephone and ask if they have had a spray tan before, if they haven't I make sure I advise to do any hair removal at least 24 hours in advance, exfoliate the night before, do not shower immediately before a tan as the skin will still be damp and may cause patchiness, also they should really scrub their deoderant off and also make sure they have no lotions or perfume on their skin. I also ask them to complete a consultation card before hand which will ask a few more questions. That way, if anything goes wrong, at least you can say that you did explain this.

One thing I almost certainly have learnt is that you should not offer a full refund until you have seen that client. I had a nightmare of a booking recently where I'd done a wedding party the night before and the bride I had sprayed explained on the phone that it was the worst tan she has ever had, it was her wedding the next day so I was absolutely distraught. I went round to her house to try and sort her out, really expecting the worst and when I saw her, honestly, I do not know what she was talking about. The tan was perfect. I went through the motions of trying to make her feel happy, only to end up giving her a full refund for the entire party. I then received two e-mails from some of the other girls that I had sprayed and apologised for the brides behaviour and they actually gave me my money back. So, I learnt from this - never offer a full refund until you have seen the client and second - never spray a bride without a trial. Its too much responsibility if they don't like it.

Latest posts

Back