Spray tanning prep

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audrine

Reaction score
I'm starting up a small mobile spray tanning business, so am writing up a preparation sheet for my clients to follow prior to their tan. One of my steps for preparation is to moisturise each day for 3 days leading up to the tan. I'd previously thought moisturising leading up to your tan was to ensure that the tan adheres to a nice smooth surface for a more even tan, but have just recently learnt that tanning solution does not adhere to the skin rather the DHA is interacting with the dead skin cells on the stratum cornium, causing the colour change. With this new knowledge, I don't know what the actual reason is for moistursing leading up to a spray tan. Could someone please enlighten me? :)

That is not a step that was in my training, I tell my clients to exfoliate well in the days leading up to a tan.

I tell them NOT to moisturise on the day of the tan because it can interfere with the solution being absorbed & affect the colour outcome of their tan.

Mines the same as BaggyBear.

I trained with Nouvatan and we were taught to avoid moisturisers at all costs as it reacts with the tan and would make it uneven. Same as deodorant etc. exfoliation is the key for a smooth flawless tan.

I find best results are moisturise well twice daily a week before the tan.. On the day before exfoliate well and dont use anything... And on the day of the tan have a quick rinse-scrub a few hours before! Works great as skin is in good condition and not dry and the tan glides on nicely on supple skin, and no barriers whilst doing the tan!!

Sent from my C1905 using SalonGeek mobile app

I find best results are moisturise well twice daily a week before the tan.. On the day before exfoliate well and dont use anything... And on the day of the tan have a quick rinse-scrub a few hours before! Works great as skin is in good condition and not dry and the tan glides on nicely on supple skin, and no barriers whilst doing the tan!!

I actually thought hard about if I should reply to this but felt I should say something & just get it out there, if people then want to debate about it that is up to them :Love::

I don't see the point in moisturising the skin twice a day, for days in the lead up to a tan, then exfoliating well. You've wasted your time twice a day, for days, making your skin all nice and then you've exfoliated that layer of skin off.

Exfoliate well and that will give you skin that shouldn't be dry as it's a fresh layer of skin ready for the tan. After the tan you need to moisturise the skin well with an oil free product to try & prolong the life of that layer of skin & therefore the tan.

I actually thought hard about if I should reply to this but felt I should say something & just get it out there, if people then want to debate about it that is up to them :Love::

I don't see the point in moisturising the skin twice a day, for days in the lead up to a tan, then exfoliating well. You've wasted your time twice a day, for days, making your skin all nice and then you've exfoliated that layer of skin off.

Exfoliate well and that will give you skin that shouldn't be dry as it's a fresh layer of skin ready for the tan. After the tan you need to moisturise the skin well with an oil free product to try & prolong the life of that layer of skin & therefore the tan.

It might just be different skin types, I find my skin feels dull and when I moisturise everyday it feels great & after a good exfoliating it feels wonderful - moistured bright and so smooth - the tan simply glides on!

I think it's good to experiment with how your skin works but I like my way but appreciate your advise on this!! :)

Cheryl, may you please advise me of the possible results having a spray tan 2-3 hours after using Nair hair removal cream? Would it be patchy? Thanks!

You will find that a skin that is in good condition will afford the maximum longevity for a tan.

whilst moisturising does this it is really best not to moisturise on the morning of the spray tan application
either way it is of course imperitave to remove any residue moisturiser from the skin prior to the application
hth

Cheryl, may you please advise me of the possible results having a spray tan 2-3 hours after using Nair hair removal cream? Would it be patchy? Thanks!

Sorry it's taken so long to reply - I've been out for the evening with the family.
I would think the tan would be ok if you couldn't see any issues as the tan was being sprayed on. If there was any residue of it left on the skin it would most likely have been noticeable when you sprayed the solution on. Like when you spray over someones legs after they have shaved - you can see the moisture strip lines from the razor appear as you spray the legs.

The only other issue I could think of would be the possible extra sensitivity of the clients skin as the top layer has been removed by the product meaning it may be more sensitive. That could mean the client feels uncomfortable while being sprayed (it may feel more cold than normal or possibly a stinging sensation etc...) I don't think it would affect the colour of the outcome of the tan though as there should be no barrier left on the skin.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back