Staff having treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellajake

Reaction score
Hi all. What do you do regarding staff who want treatments or their hair washed etc. Do they do them in lunch breaks, days off, after work etc.

I'm starting to have a problem with one girl, shes on reception, she seems to every day want something done. I let her have her hair washed a few times or arms waxed when it was quiet and I'm there to cover the desk and she had a date or something but over time it's built up and she seems to Constantly want things done now. I'm getting fed up of either being asked or having to say no. When I'm in it's to do things not cover her because she's doing treatments to herself. Does anyone else have this problem ? Or have I been too nice in the past and suffering now.

Unfortunately sounds like you've been too nice.

She's paid to work, not have treatments. Treatments should be done in her own time, and paying clients always come first. What happens if a client walks in and wants an appointment but therapist is busy with her? Does she come out of treatment room? Or do you lose that customer?

We're all self employed where I am, so we do treatments on each other when we're free and it doesn't affect the salons products because we all buy our own.

I'm not sure how the other salons do it. But I don't think it's unfair to ask for something towards products.

The salons I've been in if we wanted treatments it was very last treatment on a Friday or Saturday (we were shut Sunday's)

If clients come in then anyone has to stop treatments and do client, 9 times out of ten they only do them if another technician is around and free for walk ins. Generally it works ok as apart from her no body else really asks for anything that often (maybe because they do them on themselves whereas she being reception has to go to professional to have it done if that makes sense).

I don't mind the odd time but it's getting stupid now and reasons for needing a Blowdry are getting rediculess as she knows I'm getting annoyed. I'm going to put a set rule in place now just need to decide so the constant asking stops.

I think maybe have a certain amount they can ask for per month - treatments are a benefit/perk not a "given"

Great idea Holly. Yes, maybe a set amount each month as a perk. Then after that half price?

I used to give each therapist an annual allowance for treatments. They could choose how to spend it.
Normal cost was charged but not put through the receipt book just logged separately. The rule was that they could only have the treatments in their own time eg. Lunch break or at the end of their work hours.
For retail products they could buy things at cost price. No limit.

I used to give each therapist an annual allowance for treatments. They could choose how to spend it.
Normal cost was charged but not put through the receipt book just logged separately. The rule was that they could only have the treatments in their own time eg. Lunch break or at the end of their work hours.
For retail products they could buy things at cost price. No limit.
Thats a really good idea but i have no idea what to set the allowance at - i don't want to appear stingy or go over the top!?!

I think I gave an allowance of one week's gross wages before commission or overtime.
This then is fair for part timers.

Well, with regards to hair, decide what's realistic in terms of mantaining her hair so it looks presentable. Eg, one cut/colour every six weeks. Blowdrys arent an essential, she should be coming into work with tidily styled hair anyway.

In the salon i work at we are only allowed treatments in our own time and are charged at 50%. We also get one BNS massage once a month however if we do not take it (which we usually don't as we are busy) it does not get taken over to the next month, you just lose it. If it is just a quick eyebrow tidy or something then we will usually just do it in working hours if we have the time as it only takes 5 minutes

The salon I work at allows staff free services with the caveat that they have to take place during regular operating hours and only when the employee receiving the service is not working. It was explained to me as designed to be fair to hourly staff (so they aren't being paid to get their hair coloured) and salaried employees (no work outside regular hours that isn't generating income).

I knew a salon where all employees were entitled to 1 free treatment a week, but it had to be taken on their day off.

The staff didn't always take up the offer every week (presumably because they wanted to be doing other things on their day off, rather than visiting work!) but it was nice to know the offer was there if they needed it. It's a gesture of goodwill that might not necessarily cost the salon a lot of money, but makes the staff feel appreciated and happy. Happy staff = Better business :)

I think it's also worth mentioning that staff are a walking advertisement for the business - so if the employees are looking fab (great eyebrows, hair colour, lovely spray tan etc.) then it reflects well on the business. Staff can chat to their own clients about the treatments they had, which encourages more bookings.

Latest posts

Back