Stamping problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbiedoo

Reaction score
Hiya, well I've just taken an interest in stamping, so I thought I would give it a go.I watched lots of videos on YouTube and thought it looked so easy...wrong! I got a marshmallow stamper and born pretty Christmas plate, ordered 4 colours from mundo de unas as I heard they were the best.the pattern keeps smudging or doesn't pick all the pattern up, so I primed the stamper again which seemed to work but I can't keep priming it like that.also cannot stand the smell yuck! Wish I hadn't bought them now.I scraped twice tried more polish and less polish.where am I going wrong, any hints please x

You did take the film of the surface of the plate didn't you? :confused:

I've never primed my stampers - you do have to play around a bit though. Some designs work best with a stamping on off motion whereas with others you have to do a rolling action. Also when you have a design with a stripe you swipe the polish off in the direction of the stripe if that makes sense. Make sure you don't have too much polish on your plate - I usually swipe twice. I even find that some designs work better with a stiff swiper and others with a flexible one. You need to just practise and practise on some card. X

You need to use a highly pigmented nail varnish. And some stamping plates haven't been engraved enough deeply. I use MoYou plates and varnish and I really get on well with them. Sometimes the designs are a bit small, you have to get creative with larger nails, that's the only downside.

You need to use a highly pigmented nail varnish. And some stamping plates haven't been engraved enough deeply. I use MoYou plates and varnish and I really get on well with them. Sometimes the designs are a bit small, you have to get creative with larger nails, that's the only downside.
The quality of the plates is essential! I use mostly MoYou! They always work. I bought a few Born Pretty plates and they sucked!!!! I'm not sure what smell you are referring to. I use mostly CND Vinylux polish for stamping. I also do lightly buff my stampers and clean with alcohol before using. After that I only use tape to clean my stampers.

I also use MoYou and find them so quick and easy to use! Love the little snow flakes for this time of year xx

Another vote for Moyou plates and vinylux polish here! Xx

Hi never stamped before can u do it with shellac or dose it have to be polish . Or is it shellac as main colour and a polish to stamp with . Think il try the moyou plates if u guys think there good

Hi never stamped before can u do it with shellac or dose it have to be polish . Or is it shellac as main colour and a polish to stamp with . Think il try the moyou plates if u guys think there good
You have to buy special stamping polish as it's designed to dry really quick, also you have to be quick when doing the stamping otherwise the design can dry in places resulting in you not being able to transfer the whole image ☺

Polishes with a strong pigment work very well such as reds, white and black. Vinylux is quite good. Metallic polishes work very well, even cheap high street ones. I find the Konad stamping polish works really well and MoYou stamping polish is always recommended. Some people do stamp with shellac - its definitely possible - I think fingernail fixer has done a YouTube video on it.

Thankyou for your replies ladies.well I had another go, used a credit card to scrape, tried less polish and it worked! I'm so happy! The smell I was referring to is the mundo de unas stamping polishes. Woah they are potent! Great too about scraping in the direction of the stripes, I didn't know that

You did take the film of the surface of the plate didn't you? :confused:
Haha yes I did

Look up Sarah r on YouTube she has some fab videos on stamping and products to use x

The quality of the plates is essential! I use mostly MoYou! They always work. I bought a few Born Pretty plates and they sucked!!!! I'm not sure what smell you are referring to. I use mostly CND Vinylux polish for stamping. I also do lightly buff my stampers and clean with alcohol before using. After that I only use tape to clean my stampers.
It's the mundo de unas polishes that smell horrible

I've never primed my stampers - you do have to play around a bit though. Some designs work best with a stamping on off motion whereas with others you have to do a rolling action. Also when you have a design with a stripe you swipe the polish off in the direction of the stripe if that makes sense. Make sure you don't have too much polish on your plate - I usually swipe twice. I even find that some designs work better with a stiff swiper and others with a flexible one. You need to just practise and practise on some card. X
Thanks for the tips

....and you're scraping the image at an angle too?
Yes I was but I don't think the scraper was very good.I tried an old credit card and that was much better

[posts merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou for your replies ladies.well I had another go, used a credit card to scrape, tried less polish and it worked! I'm so happy! The smell I was referring to is the mundo de unas stamping polishes. Woah they are potent! Great too about scraping in the direction of the stripes, I didn't know that

Glad you mastered it, I found you don't need to press the stamper hard either, I think when I first started I was pressing it down so hard to get the image I was pushing all the polish out of the grooves on the plate. Just a firm roll from side-to-side/up-down (whichever the image calls for).

How do you clean your moyou stampers?

I use one of those sticky lint remover roller things. Great at getting polish and fluff off your stampers. You just rip off the used paper as you go. They're cheap as chips too.

I use acetone on a lint free wipe

Lint roller to clean it. It's so much easier!

Latest posts

Back