Starting college in September !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck on your courses everyone!! I've just my firt year of my NVQ2, I remeber being so excited last this time last year, and this time next year I'll be qualified!! Scary stuff!!!

Thought i would check in and see if there was anyone else starting? Ooo.. we now have about a month to go :) woohoo.! REALLY need to order my uniform..lol.!
xXx

Anyone else? Only a few weeks til we start!! Woop! Hehe!! Xxx

Hey girls =D

I've not long since started mine. 6 weeks ago. Loving it, although it is intense. I'm going mine over 6 months and it's a lot to take in. You guys are probably doing it over a year or two, so it won't be such a shock to the system lol Lucky i already work in a salon and my boss is amazing with teaching me stuff. Only advice i would give is just enjoy it! If you enjoy it, it'll come a lot faster and more natural. Don't stress out over making mistakes. Hell, i've made loads, but never the same one twice =P

Oh, and if possible, try and get a bit of salon experience. I know everyone keeps harping on about it, but even just one day a week for a few hours will look good on your CV when you've finished and you'll be amazed at what you learn just from being in the environment around qualified stylists!

Have fun and keep everyone posted on how ya getting on

Kams xx

Hi everyone, good luck for when you start, I started last week at SAKS doing my SVQ2, loving it already, Mine is part time though cause I work full time, so lots and lots of homework lol, got my kit and it was like Christmas! love it!

Good luck all hope you all enjoy and have fun:D

Hi all! At the age of 34 I'm finally trying to switch my career around to what I really, really want to do & to start at the very beginning on my full time level 2 nvq hairdressing (always been a dream) on Sept 12 - just need to do well at my 2.5 hr interview TOMORROW! Apparantly I'll know after the assessment and (hopefully) enrolment day would be next wk! Been busy reading thru an nvq level 2 text book I borrowed from the library and getting inspired by Myhairdressers.com. Any handy hints from you wonderful geeks who've already had your interviews? What were your assessments like? eek the butterflies are churning as I type - really want this course as I've explored other fast track options, but I just don't feel they're the right start for a true beginner.. xxx

Hi all, I am changing career this year and am due to enrol for my NVQ2 Womens Hairdressing on Wednesday.

Thought this thread would be a good one to introduce myself!
Not received my kit yet but got my uniform!

Wendspa, my interview consisted of presentation, practical (sectioning hair after a short demo) and then 121 interview, just asking about qualifications, why you have an interest in hairstyling, what to expect from the course. Nothing too scary. We were then offered a placement and had to return for maths/english assessment (not a pass/fail - just to establish what level we are at).

Good luck for tomorrow

Much appreciated for the detailed headsup Wandering Woman - feel a little more at ease now :) Hope all goes well for you on your new course too.. :D xx

hi all; so excited i have received my letter telling me i have been accepted to the level 2 NVQ hairdressing course; i enroll next week and start the 19th!! eeeeek!!

Hows everyone's enrollment coming on?

The excitement is almost uncontainable!!

xxx

Hi Girls,

Had my interview this morning for the intensive level 2 hairdressing diploma. I will find out on Monday or Tuesday next week if I have been successful.

Then the next step is to return my form and payment for training kit. and then to enrol with a start date of the 13th september. so not long at all but next week cant come quick enough until I find out.

the kit will be ordered through the college from Capital (hair and beauty) for the sum of £ 211.25.

the kit includes a txt book.palladino Hair foundation nvq L2 edit 6

I need to buy uniform , but havent been told colour, sizing, style etc.

I noticed the kit doesn't include a hairdryer or straighteners.

How are you all coming along ?

x

Hi geeks,

I applied for city and guilds level 2 at college ( evening class, 30 weeks)

I have been waiting for a phone call to tell me if I have been successful.

Just received the call to say the class is full and there is a waiting list but they are putting together another class on a different day and offering it to all the applicants who are on the waiting lists. It is the same course but VRQ level2 still over 30 weeks. but when iv e looked on internet I seems the progression from this course is NVQ level 2 not a level 3? im confused and disappointed. I trained years ago but didn't qualify and want to gain my Level 2. I dont want to pay £1200 for a course and not gain an equivalent to Nvq/city and guilds level 2.

im all in a muddle...........

Hey, I'm new to the site and I'm starting my college course on the 12th. I've got my induction on Wed and I'm really nervous.

Good luck to everyone else :)

@gigglymushroom is there no-way you could pop in and discuss the courses with someone? I struggled to get information from my college so I popped in.(they said because they are so busy at this time of the year people just get passed from one person to another and told so many different things) at least at the college you can talk to someone face to face and they can't put you on hold lol

I hope it all works out...

I hope everyone is successful and manages to get onto the courses :)
Wow that's alot for the kit ESP if doesn't include dryer or straighteners- ours is £180 something and includes them (this is through the college tho) .. I've ordered my uniform now so just waiting on that To arrive before I start this time next week (yikes!!! Hehe)
I picked up a pad/pens etc yesterday and Also my shoes so once uniform arrives I'm all set :)
Please let us know how u all get on with interviews and enrolment :) best of luck to u all :) xxxx

I hope everyone is successful and manages to get onto the courses :)
Wow that's alot for the kit ESP if doesn't include dryer or straighteners- ours is £180 something and includes them (this is through the college tho) .. I've ordered my uniform now so just waiting on that To arrive before I start this time next week (yikes!!! Hehe)
I picked up a pad/pens etc yesterday and Also my shoes so once uniform arrives I'm all set :)
Please let us know how u all get on with interviews and enrolment :) best of luck to u all :) xxxx

I too am starting on Wednesday!. NVQ 2. I did hairdressing 20+ years ago but had my first child at 19- life got in the way and more children!!. I've got the city and guilds qualification from then but did a refresher last November and decided that I should do NVQ as things moved on!- I'm very excited though bit nervous as now the grand old age of 41. Met a lovely lady at the refresher course and she's doing this course too so at least I know a friendly face. My lecturer for NVQ is the lecturer I had at the refresher course and just so lovely!. Good luck everyone!! 

Aww thats great that u have already had the lecturer so know what she is like, and also thAt you will know 1 person doing it with you :) I suppose it will relax you a little lol! I wish you all the best for your course and I'm sure you will enjoy it :) xxxx

Aww thats great that u have already had the lecturer so know what she is like, and also thAt you will know 1 person doing it with you :) I suppose it will relax you a little lol! I wish you all the best for your course and I'm sure you will enjoy it :) xxxx

Thank you gemzglitz!- I'm starting at Southampton city college. Yes lecturer is just fab!. Last November when enrolled for refresher course i was so nervous!- hopefully better this time!- I have my uniform apart from the cardigan which is out of stock until november!!- have everything else I think! Good luck to you too! Exciting times. 

Oh wow are u in Southampton then? I was going to vo there but decided on fareham in the end :) xxx

Oh wow are u in Southampton then? I was going to vo there but decided on fareham in the end :) xxx

Yes hedge end. I did my original course at SCC. When I did the refresher course SCC was the only one offering it so then I got talking to lecturer about redoing NVQ - my confidence needs building after all this time!- x

Not from far me.. Im in Townhill :)

Im sure during your course your confidence will grow, Im soo nervous but it's something i have wanted to do since..welll.. forever.. hehe.!

SCC would have been my 2nd choice but Fareham offered a better course for me (Lev 1&2 combined) where as at SCC i could only do Level 1 (which i would have needed to get onto level 2 there) and Fareham had been recommended for Hair & beauty.. I guess i will find out for sure when i start LOL.!

xXx

Not from far me.. Im in Townhill :)

Im sure during your course your confidence will grow, Im soo nervous but it's something i have wanted to do since..welll.. forever.. hehe.!

SCC would have been my 2nd choice but Fareham offered a better course for me (Lev 1&2 combined) where as at SCC i could only do Level 1 (which i would have needed to get onto level 2 there) and Fareham had been recommended for Hair & beauty.. I guess i will find out for sure when i start LOL.!

xXx

Small world!- makes sense to do both combined timewise. Because I did refresher and did series of cuts etc on block that lecturer assessed I then bypassed level 1. So doing 2 this year and 3 next year!- am sure it will be good. I do beauty as well - trained in MYscara, threading and EE- did that at private beauty schools. X

Latest posts

Back