Starting college in September !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey girls , good luck for september. I eventually managed to speak with someone from admissions at my local college and I was told I will not be invited for an interview until after the 30th August, but to take £60 enrolment fee with me because if im successful at interview i will be enrolled there and then so as not to miss out on a place as others have been applying since september last year for a place this september !

Ive got mixed feelings now and feel a bit down ,more than excited. I cant explain really but I feel pressured. If successful I will have less than a week to pull a kit together and feel rushed I would like to have a look at the training room and find out more about the course, what it covers etc. I did train as a hairdresser 20 years ago but didnt take exams. Is the level 2 diploma right for me ? will I need a placement ? so many questions ! I only moved to this area in May so im still finding my feet and have 4 children to settle back into school in september also.......

im sure it will work out.x

Hey girls , good luck for september. I eventually managed to speak with someone from admissions at my local college and I was told I will not be invited for an interview until after the 30th August, but to take £60 enrolment fee with me because if im successful at interview i will be enrolled there and then so as not to miss out on a place as others have been applying since september last year for a place this september !

Ive got mixed feelings now and feel a bit down ,more than excited. I cant explain really but I feel pressured. If successful I will have less than a week to pull a kit together and feel rushed I would like to have a look at the training room and find out more about the course, what it covers etc. I did train as a hairdresser 20 years ago but didnt take exams. Is the level 2 diploma right for me ? will I need a placement ? so many questions ! I only moved to this area in May so im still finding my feet and have 4 children to settle back into school in september also.......

That is the same as me,my enrollment is not till the 5th Sept the course starts on the 12th.

Just going to put money aside this month for my equipment but it is hard as I have just booked and brought my spray tanning course etc and I am still to do cnd training.

Is especially hard with children trying organise around them. I am going to find it so tough but I really want it so I just have to get on with it.

Good luck and I hope it all works out with you x x :D

Thanks, I could cope with the late enrolment , its the not knowing if I have a place or not that is chewing me up !

I really hope things work out for you. :hug: Im sure it will.
I have been told so many things about different courses...I was told I couldnt do the Diploma as that was for school leavers, then I was offered Level 2 VRQ but when she found out I had no experience, she then said Id need to do Level 1. I have also been told I needed a salon placement for Level 2, but when I went to see someone else, she told me I didnt, I could do my placement on the college facilities. I tell ya, it was a joke. The jist I get is the Level 2 seems to be right for you if you have experience (which you do) but Im really not sure about if you need a placement or not.

Anyway, Ive finally managed to enrol on a course tonight (yipee!) and am doing levels some units of level1 and the full level 2 combined (placement takes place on college site)...17th September I start! woohoo, finally.

I really hope things work out for you. :hug: Im sure it will.
I have been told so many things about different courses...I was told I couldnt do the Diploma as that was for school leavers, then I was offered Level 2 VRQ but when she found out I had no experience, she then said Id need to do Level 1. I have also been told I needed a salon placement for Level 2, but when I went to see someone else, she told me I didnt, I could do my placement on the college facilities. I tell ya, it was a joke. The jist I get is the Level 2 seems to be right for you if you have experience (which you do) but Im really not sure about if you need a placement or not.

Anyway, Ive finally managed to enrol on a course tonight (yipee!) and am doing levels some units of level1 and the full level 2 combined (placement takes place on college site)...17th September I start! woohoo, finally.

excellent news ! you must be so excited. combining the 2 courses sounds like an excellent idea. I was wondering the same about the level2 diploma and nvq level3. I was told by the college that the city and guilds diploma level 2 is aimed at mature students who would like to refresh skills or retrain. :eek: still unsure and guess I just have to wait and see.

Hi girls!
You must be so excited! I remember how I was myself when I enrolled for level 1 last year! I couldn't wait for it to start.
I wish I would have done a few things in a different way, so I'll share them with you :
- I know you want to be responsible and have everything and just be ready to go into hair, but don't give up into buying the things u need in the first week. I know your tutor/teachers might pressurize you to order your uniform and kit, but...take my advice and wait a few weeks. Meanwhile you could use the college's kit and get dressed all in black ( or follow the salon's code).
I have discovered that I could have bought a better quality pair of trousers and for a better value, than the uniform ones. And with the kit...there'll be so many things you can find cheaper/better in the shops, rather than the college kit. My kit had some things I've never used during the whole year! And those brushes are crap, really! If you get the chance to go into sassy, make a trade card as a student and then get products at a discount price, and you buy all the stuff u need for your kit. Or from the internet.

- With the theory work.....try to finish with it as soon as you can. It's such a pain in the arse, so all you need is to borrow books from the library and do your assignments in your free time, following your tutor's guidance. You will probably see that your peers work at a different pace, mind you, some of them will be very lazy, so if you get the chance to go ahead and finish your work, go for it! you will appreciate it when the end of the year comes.

-If there's a competition at college, go for it. You might not win the first prize ( or u may), but it's an amaizing experience. And ...you will have the opportunity to buy products at a discount price!

- Try to make friends with at least one person, since durring the whole year you will have to pair up and work on each other's hair. And it's nice to have somebody who can collect the things for you or keep u up to date.

- oh...and in the end...ALWAYS carry a pen with you. And some ipubrofen ( for when your peers will be doing you a headache- and i'm not joking :))

I'm gonna start my level 2 in sept. So excited! Now I am more familiar with everything, it doesn't seem to be that scary. Altough, I miss the weird feeling you have when you get lost and don't find your way around college.
Good luck!

Thanks Soosh thats really useful.

Just one thing, what sort of things do you practice on each other? Is it not done on training heads and models? Im going to have a problem here, I cant stand people touching my hair. I do everything on my hair myself,colouring, cutting etc because of this reason. :o

Wow, seems alot of people are having a few problems :-( hope everyone manages to enrol ok and get a place on their courses!!
I too am doing one where although it's a level 2, in the first year we will also be covering level 1 so at the end of year one if we are all ok, will gain level 1 :) saves money too as level 1 is also offered as a sep course on it's own! Lol!
I'm just waiting on hearing back about help with the costs of the kit, Nd hopefully then it will just be the uniform I need to purchase (as well as my daughters school uniform lol! )
Thankyou for the advice, I can not wait to get stuck in and sept can not come quick enough for me hehe!
Are people doing full time / part time?

Good luck to those who now have to wait to sept to find out if they can get into the course! You will have to keep us updated :)
Xxx

Ive got my interview next thursday to do a 19+ nvq level 2 at brighton city college. I really hope i get in cos otherwise doing level 1 was pointless. If I do get in its going to be a long year as I have to commute and stay with my cousin 2 nights a week as im not from there, but my local college is rubbish! Hopefully all goes well and the people are more mature than the silly 16 y olds I was with last year, as we will all have to pay for the course!

I'm just waiting on hearing back about help with the costs of the kit, Nd hopefully then it will just be the uniform I need to purchase (as well as my daughters school uniform lol! )

Are people doing full time / part time?

Xxx

Where did you apply for help towards the cost of the kit? Are you doing full time?

Ive decided on doing part time,1. It was cheaper and 2. so I can also work during the week
xx

Hey, I spoke to the college finance/welfare officer who gave me a form to see if I was eligible or not - I'm doing part time, 2 days a weeks half 9 til half 2 :) xxx

Thanks Soosh thats really useful.

Just one thing, what sort of things do you practice on each other? Is it not done on training heads and models? Im going to have a problem here, I cant stand people touching my hair. I do everything on my hair myself,colouring, cutting etc because of this reason. :o

Oh, nobody will touch your hair if you don't want to. But for your assesments, you will need models, and it's much easier to pick up a peer rather than arrange with a friend to come in. And at some point, you'll have to return the favour. But i'm talking mainly about blow dry and washing and styling..
I once made the mistake to let somebody colouring my hair ( thanks god it was a semi) and after that I realised that some won't care too much if your whole forehead is covered in staines. Learnt my lesson! :))

When I was training we had members of the public coming in to have their hair done-it was run like a salon.
We was allowed to cut and style each others hair but not for assessments-it had to be a paying client,an own model or someone from a different tutor group xx

A letter from college arrived ! wooohoooo !!!!

I have an interview at 9am on the 1st of september. im so glad I have a date and if there is a place available and im successful I can enrol the same day. The letter does warn that the courses are over subscribed and a place may not be offered:sad:

I will just have to wait and see. I can go and enjoy our holiday now I have a date.......im such a worried Arthur.

Have a great weekend. x

A letter from college arrived ! wooohoooo !!!!

I have an interview at 9am on the 1st of september. im so glad I have a date and if there is a place available and im successful I can enrol the same day. The letter does warn that the courses are over subscribed and a place may not be offered:sad:

I will just have to wait and see. I can go and enjoy our holiday now I have a date.......im such a worried Arthur.

Have a great weekend. x

Thats great news!

I'm starting SVQ2 in hairdressing on 30th august too, it took me 10 years and 1 ba Hons in law to pluck my courage and now at 26 I'm changing my career to make my dream come true!! So excited!!! Xxxx

Aww fab, so glad you have a date for your interview, I also got told at my interview and enrolled there and then :) I have everything crossed that they have a place for you :)

Good luck with starting your course... Glad you are finAlly doing what u dreamt about :)
Xxx
Ps.. Any one have their kit or uniform yet? Hehe! Xxx

No but Ive been looking online at the uniform...the trousers look shocking so might skip them and buy my own similar ones.

The kit doesnt even say what you get in it, my tutor just told me to check the list when it arrives and make sure everything is there! Its a right rip off really, as if I knew what was in it, I could buy own (maybe cheaper, better stuff)

I'm starting my Nvq level 2 beauty in 3 weeks can't wait. My daughter was born this year thought do it while she is small. Have already done manicure/pedicure course,shellac nail art doing minx tomorrow and dashing diva next month. Good luck to everyone x

My college will supply the kit as part of the bursary (all students will get it) or so I was told at z interview.... Really dont fancy spending a small fortune on z kit!! Especially after buying my first hairdresser's car 2 weeks ago - ford fiesta in Hot Magenta! Haha xxx

Latest posts

Back