Starting from scratch, help needed please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*moonlight*

Reaction score
Hi there I have never worked in the beauty industry before, i've always had just the run of the mill day job as I didn't do too well at school. So I decided to better myself and started from scratch.

I've done the anatomy and physiology, body massage, aromatherapy and i'm going to be finished my reflexology course in a few weeks. Though I never felt confident enough to have a go at it and also how to go about it. I really want to get up and do it this time but I was looking for some advice as I've never done this before, the only practise i've had is with my case studies.

I work full-time mon-fri and would like to stay in that job untill I feel im confident enough and have more qualifications under my belt. I would like to do home treatments at the moment and don't really know where to start and what I need. Some help would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks
*moonlight*

Last edited:
Hi there sounds like you're on a good thing there coz i think it's easier to do hands on first than study and learn about something you've never encountered in your life :p mind boggling lol. Well good luck x
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks bebeautiful :)

All you need to get going is enthusiasm! If you've got the qualification you are (or should be!) good enough to do it on paying clients. All you need to do is sort out a price list taking into account cost of materials, travel etc & get your name out there! If you want practice then I'm sure you have friends, family & colleagues you could call upon? It is quite frightening the first time but once you have a few under your belt it becomes easier!

Yes I do have the qualifications, I've just never worked in the industry before so it is a bit daunting! plus i'm just a wee bit on the shy side but it's time to get into gear, I am wondering about insurance and/or anything else I need to get started. Do I need anything like that to get myself up and running? I will be doing aromatherapy and reflexology treatments.
Thanks for the push :smack: lol
Lee x

The shyness will go in time! You will need insurance - you'll want professional indemnity at the least, and if you are using a set room in a home salon/salon you'll need third part liability, you don't need this if you're mobile as far as I'm aware (having never worked mobile!). You'll also need to register self-employed & file a yearly tax return, but that's very straightforward - just contact the tax office & they'll explain it all!

Thanks guys for all your advice it's really helped a lot:green:
It's great to talk to people that have been through the same thing and also know what they're talking about.
Thanks again x:hug:x

Latest posts

Back