Starting nails after 10 years need advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nita Ristić

Reaction score
I did my all systems with young nails in 2007. But I never worked professional as life happened. Long story short it's 10 years later. I contacted young nails and told them Im reday to start again and if they could assist me? I was willing to pay for new or refresher training but no response. I then tried Tammy Taylor and someone contacted me . I went for a practical to show them what I can do and it was a mess. I feel like I can't get my product to work. It's flowing to the sidewalls it's a mess. My free edge is too thin and my cuticles are not flush. I have 2 weeks to practice before the 3 days training and practical, when they will asses me and decide if i can get a job. I work full day admin and I'm a mom. I have 7 girls that are willing to come to my house in the evenings for free. But I feel like I don't know how to get the product to flow.. it's either too dry or too runny (runs in to sidewalls a lot) and I feel like I can't pinch the nail as much as they require.
Let's not even talk about my smile lines. What's worse is that I know all the steps I know what a nail should look like and what is required but I can't apply it.
The pressure is on. I want this but feel like I have 2 weeks to prepare for a marathon , but have no legs.
Is there any advice ? I want to change my life.

Do you have a Nail Trainer to practise on? You should be able to improve a bit in two weeks but if you're booked in for proper training, presumably they will teach you how to get it right?

I don't understand why you need to be perfect before you go for training? Maybe I have misunderstood your post?

Thanx for taking the time to reply :) .
I do have a trainer hand but they advised me not to use it as it's not the same as the real deal.
They currently have a position available and if I impress them enough on my practical which is on the 25th and 26th. I might get the job.
As I already have qualifications, just that I'm so out of practice.

Sorry, but I don't agree with them.

If it was me, I'd be using both human and the trainer hand for tons of practise beforehand. Start with the hand and practise loads for at least a week and then only do your friends when you can see an improvement.

I think you'll find that working on a friend will waste a lot of time because you'll be chatting and if it's not quite right, it will be massively frustrating and you might easily take 2 hours to do one set of nails. You don't want to feel demoralised before you get there!

At least if you practise on the trainer hand, you can focus on your technique without being distracted.

Presumably, you were ok when you did your initial training so you just need to keep practising.

Thank you. I am definitely going to take your advice.
Any advice why my product run's in to the sidewalls? I'm presuming my liquid powder ratio is not right? But even if according to me it is , I still get the product ending up in the sidewalls. Or if I work dryer then Im not able to cover the sides completely.

Thank you. I am definitely going to take your advice.
Any advice why my product run's in to the sidewalls? I'm presuming my liquid powder ratio is not right? But even if according to me it is , I still get the product ending up in the sidewalls. Or if I work dryer then Im not able to cover the sides completely.

I agree with AcidPerm, you're just refreshing skills so practise is what you need whether that is on a human hand or trainer is irrelevant at the moment. Ketan Patel won hundreds of competitions before becoming an educator for CND, he told me that the night before a competition he would get a pack of 100 tips (10 x 10 sizes) and practise his smile lines over and over again. If it works for an international competition winner it works for me!

Yes you are right that runny is wrong ratio, if your drier bead won't move then you're too dry. If a perfect bead is too small, then use more beads, possibly you are over-thinking it because it means so much. Step away for a day or so then come back to it, you might find it just clicks.

Thank you so much. And yes it means so much to me. I guess I didn't realise that I would have to start from scratch.

Latest posts

Back