Starting out

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJJTH

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently completed my l&p course (nail tech level 2 city and guilds). We trained using nsi attraction.

I'm now at the stage where I am confident to practice on people (passed with distinction) however I'm not confident enough to be charging full price. Also worried as I don't have a good range of colours etc?

How did all you guys go from practicing for free, to charging, and being confident in your work. I have done sets for free on family and friends, however I can't afford to keep doing this! I am looking to go mobile for now until my fiancé and I move to a bigger house where I can have a dedicated space, however I can accommodate the odd client at home if needs be.

Also; any advice on insurance? I have looked at the guild, and salon gold however I'm not sure if I would be insured for gel polish under my current qualifications, or if I would need a further course? Obviously I don't want to carry out work I am uninsured for!

Thank you :)

Congrats on passing your course! Well done! :D

When I just qualified I did a price list with full prices, but ran a 30% discount for a period of time, mainly to build my own confidence up tbh. I wouldn't advice putting your prices low, as I think that sends out the wrong message, and it will be hard to increase your prices once you feel confident enough to do so.

As far as insurance goes, you're best phoning them up with any questions, I'm with the guild and they are great if you just give them a call and should be able to answer any enquiries you have.

I've just posted my first adverts, fingers crossed!

Best of luck! :D

Hi SJJTH

Have you thought of producing a 'full price' price list and offer a discount on the first 20 sets or however many sets you feel you need to complete to increase your confidence. This is very effective and allows you to charge full price when you are ready xx

Hi SJJTH,
I have just had insurance with ABT, very competitive.
Well done and good luck [emoji4]

Best of luck x

Latest posts

Back