Starting up freelance business, terrified!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerise81

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm hoping for some help and advice.
After a long break to have a family, 11 years, since working in a salon I have decided my best option to earn money is set up mobile. At the moment I would do just eves and weekends as I still have a little one at home all day, my other children are at school now.
I have a small number of clients who are mainly friends but certainly not enough to earn a living. I have put an advert on my local fb group and have had a few interested comments.
What I'd like to know is how do I go about informing hmrc, do I need to tell them I'm advertising even though I may not earn anything in the first few weeks?
How can I gain confidence in myself?! This is a tough one for me!
Also I'm planning on performing skin tests for scalp tint and bleach but do you do this for foils or off scalp colour? When I was in salons years ago we didn't skin test anyone ever!
Where do you go for advice on colour if unsure, as there are no other staff to help?!
Thankyou in advance for any advice

Hi Cerise

I've been through all of this this year and I found it all very confusing, but it's simple really! Follow this link, how to set up and lots of information too. (Remember that you probably
Won't even be earning enough to be taxed at all but still need to inform them).

https://www.gov.uk/set-up-sole-trader

I work from home and am also mobile. I get clients to come to me for a skin test at least 48 hours prior to appointment but only for on scalp applications but also if they were to have a toner. I normally do this as part of a consultation so it gives you an opportunity to see the clients hair and understand their needs without going back and forth via text message!

I come on here for advice for colour, everyone is helpful and responsive.

Set up a Facebook page and post pictures of your work (this is everything) and also run offered and competitions to gain new clientele.

The number one bit of advice for advertising would be to Facebook advertise. It costs around £4 per day and you can boost a posted picture or competition to a selected audience. I have had amazing response from this.

Any other questions, please ask.

Josie xx

Also, make sure you get insurance. 'Salon Gold' is a good go to for this

Hi Josie thankyou very much for your reply. I've got my insurance through salon gold already but it's good advice to remind people setting up. I've had a couple of messages interested for the next time they need their hair done so fingers crossed. I thought about the fb business page but I'm terrified I'm case some one leaves a bad review! When you take photos do you ask your clients permission if you can use them? I'm excited but terrified and anxious at the same time! Do you think it's possible to make a good living after a year or two? X

My clients always want the pictures on Facebook and Instagram so that they share with their friends!

Make sure you do some up to date training, get your confidence up and maybe practice on some family members etc and take photos of That as a starting point. Offering up to date colour work is where the money is.

I have been self employed for a year, I have 2-3 colour clients everyday 6 days a week!

Be prepared to work hard for it to be a success!

Being your own boss will be the best decision you'll ever make :)

Thanks again Josie, I'm planning on practising balayage on my sis this week! I'm quite confident with bright unnatural colours as one of my friends loves experimenting with blues and pinks etc.
I'm fine with cutting and putting up hair, if they could sell confidence I'd be the best customer!
That's amazing you have so many clients, I hope I'll be as successful in time! I have three kids so just planning on eve and weekends until the little one starts nursery in Aug then I'll have a few mornings free to work too.
I'm planning a part time bridal hair and make up course and there's a few at the wholesalers I'd like to do too.
Thanks again x

That training sounds great! I'm sure you'll be busy in the eves and weekends, that's the times everyone wants :)

Wish you all the best.

If you ever need any help with colour etc just message me, or on Facebook - Josie Wright Hair

Xx

Thankyou again, I had a look at your fb page and your work is amazing! Love it xx

Latest posts

Back