Starting up - getting your name out there

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Art of Beauty

Reaction score
So I've posted a few different things as I'm just starting out - started doing my fast track courses in January, practiced everything for a few month on anyone who would let then last month started taking paid clients that I didn't know ( is insured and registered with HMRC) I got these clients through an internet noticeboard my work have, posting that I was relatively new & looking to build my portfolio for my website I was building - I got loads of people through that, some travelling quite a distance to coke have eyelash extensions, spray tan and waxing which I had done so far. Unfortunately my work took my post down as it was promoting a business even though I work in a bank and there is no conflict of interest :( - so anyway now I'm posting on fb on buy/sell pages almost everyday and it's getting very little response I only have 200 likes on fb and only had 2 enquiries no actual appointments made
I've just ordered 1000 flyers to do mail drops, I've built my on website blah blah but I just don't know what else to do?

Links to fb & website below as everything I feel looks great and is professional!
Also a first draft pic of my flyers
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1493630219.958273.jpg

www.facebook.com/TAOBcambuslang
www.theartofbeauty.co.uk

HELP ?

Hey :)

Firstly you said you got lots of people so that's great and I'm assuming you've kept a lot of them as clients? I think what you have done sounds good ...I'd try to make it more about actual clients and try to forget the number of likes etc. It's hard but it takes time to build the business so I think it's a matter of patience. Word of mouth is great so I'm sure it will build in no time. Would you consider a recommend a friend for your clients or maybe a competition?

Only advice I'd give is don't over post on Facebook and selling sites as it can be too much and off putting. There's someone who does it all the time where I live and I get so many clients saying they came to me because they seemed too desperate.

Also I really hope you don't mind me saying this but I had a quick look on your Facebook.. It looks great but one of the first things I saw was a joke (about the mug) I've got a sense of humour and I'm sure many clients have but I think swearing could put people off. I'm in no way telling you what to do, it's your business and it's not the reason you're not fully booked as it will take time but I know a lot of people would be put off by it and I know you've asked for opinions :)

Good luck and I'm sure your business will go from strength to strength X

Hey thank you so much for this!

My boyfriend runs a business and it does very well and he said that it would be funny to post that as it was true I said the same thing as you yet he said "people like to see funny stuff along side pictures etc" lol I knew I was right I'm gonna remove it lol

So yeah the run I had with lots of clients was only in the last few weeks to a month I got them to fill in client cards for email etc and intend on sending newsletters every month I've sent 1 so far and got 1 return client I've in total had around 10 - 12 clients since going live about just over a month ago - I'm just trying to do everything I can and take as much advise as possible

Ahh you're welcome and thanks as I was a bit worried..I hate giving criticism but hoped that it was constructive and come accross how it was intended, which I'm glad it did.

100% have a joke and let your personality shine through, I'd just avoid swearing myself :) hope I've not got him into trouble haha x

No don't be! Criticism is good sometimes!

Yeah he's a stand up comedian, like actual a real one lol & runs a club in Glasgow I told him that woman might take it like I'm slagging my clients off if I put funny stuff like that and he said nooo it's showing you have a sense of humour lol I was so reluctant but didn't want him to think i was like "pfft shut up" lol nah he's fine lol x

It looks great!

All of my business is through FB and personal recommendation. I post a couple of times a day at least and occasionally share on my personal fb page. I also regularly pay for fb ads and I'm fully booked after qualifying almost 2 years ago.

I agree posting can seem desperate however not if it's done in the right way and if clients and and potential clients don't regularly see your name then you won't be remembered.

I agree about staying professional. I have a laugh as clients post comments on my page and it's good to keep it light hearted and seem approachable but also professional.

Go that extra little bit and make your clients feel special. Remember stuff they tell you and ask them how their night out went etc. They'll rebook [emoji4]

Latest posts

Back