Starting up, what can I claim?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatherineRose

CatherineRose
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help me please. I'm seriously looking into becoming a freelance Hair Stylist. I know you can claim back 45p (I think) per mile for petrol.

What else can I claim back for ? I know you can for products etc.

Can you claim back for any courses you pay to go on that are beneficial ? I.e colour courses etc.

Im in the same boat as you and luckily I have a friend who works in accounts! ANYTHING you are paying ut for that is for your business you can claim for. So yes, petrol but also things like washing powder, mobile phone now you are using it for your business!!, courses, ink for your printer that you print your leaflets or whatever for. Anything you pay towards for your business, keep receipt and put it on your books :)

Im in the same boat as you and luckily I have a friend who works in accounts! ANYTHING you are paying ut for that is for your business you can claim for. So yes, petrol but also things like washing powder, mobile phone now you are using it for your business!!, courses, ink for your printer that you print your leaflets or whatever for. Anything you pay towards for your business, keep receipt and put it on your books :)

Thanks for replying Sam. So can I can pretty much claim for everything like you say. So all the kit I'll need to buy for going mobile, I want to get a separate work phone so that, petrol, business cards. Brilliant.

This might be a stupid question but can I only claim for things I buy once I've declared as self employed? So I couldn't start buying everything I need now but then a year down the line try and claim back ? I pressume it's only the things I buy in the tax year of being self employed ?? X

I think you can claim for start up costs but not sure how far back etc hopefully someone else can help you with that. I thought I'd let you know you can also put receipts through for work clothing, shoes and one I've only just found out-make up, nails etc as it's all part of your work appearance (gabbling with the wording but I'm sure you get the gist!)

My accountant was the person that told me about claiming for clothing, shoes, make up etc

These are a couple of articles that might help you-

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/jan/11/self-assessment-what-can-claim-for

https://www.gov.uk/set-up-sole-trader

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1431980376.360440.jpg

My accountant was the person that told me about claiming for clothing, shoes, make up etc

HMRC clearly state you can't! Give them a ring to check or just google it, guidance is pretty clear!

There was another thread the other day stating you could claim for hair & make up, I knew it wasn't right!!

Double checked with my accountant today and he said you can definitely put clothing through your books if it is "wholly & exclusively" for business purposes. It doesn't have to have a logo but needs to be something you couldn't wear outside of work.
So tunic and trousers yes, business suit that you could wear somewhere else no

If these are bought through a hair/beauty uniform suppliers then this is easy to prove but not if you buy your work clothes from river island

Don't forget training, insurance and pensions

I'd check that ballerina.
I thought training was fine ( as long as it's not the first course to get you into business.)
Insurance is fine
Pension? I thought that was up to you to pay...but you do get the tax portion back..Not quite considered an 'expense'

Yes that's what I meant

How much do you tend to get back in these claims for expenses is it a certain percentage or something?

How much do you tend to get back in these claims for expenses is it a certain percentage or something?
You don't get anything back, you just deduct it from your costs. So for example you earn £300 in a week but spend £25 on uniform and £30 on products to do your job, you tell hmrc that you earned £300 but less £55 for your bills, so you would only pay tax on £245.

Vic x

Ah right ok thanks

You can even put clothes/shoes through as uniform.
Make up if you have a make up bag for work and one for home because it's as good as a uniform(good excuse to buy more make up).
Some of your household bills if you have an "office area" where you do you accounts/website/facebooking etc! !
Don't just do miles from home to clients houses, don't forget about trips to the bank, wholesalers places you get uniform. :)

How is make up a cost directly related to running your business?

Latest posts

Back