Stay or go?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallstyler91

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm struggling with work at the mo and it's really getting me down.
I've been in a particular salon as employed for three years now. It suits me on the grounds of being able to push myself (I'm very driven) I don't get nagged or have targets I can take holiday when ever but don't take advantage. In fact I've only had two weeks off all year.
The problem is I moved there as it was a great salon; two juniors, four stylists, two beauticians. Now it's no junior at all, two stylists (me inclusive of that two) and one beautician who happens to be the owner.
I feel it's just too laid back now. It's a three way business; two stylists and one beautician one is on leave and the others just don't want to drive it. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to motivate there. We never have enough colour stock. Just one of each colour to last a week and half and if there is a half tube it doesn't get purchased so we are always running out. Retail stock is beyond minimal. Cups are all chipped. Always being told there isn't enough money for more stock.
It's not like we aren't bringing enough in though I'm pulling in between £6000 to £5000 a month and my boss is as busy. I'm always finding solutions for problems but they never take them up. I recently found a supplier that is 40% cheaper than our current colour supplier but they won't entertain it. Yet always being told we couldn't get everything on list as it was too expensive. I'm always buying my own products and equipment. I'm always showing clients where to buy products from as we don't have them. My clients have started to notice colours aren't the same as always having to mix up so many different colours and they are noticing no atmosphere as no staff. It's coming Christmas and I know I'm the only one thinking we need vouchers ready we need Christmas cards ready we needs decorations ready. Which means it will be left for me to do.
I asked my boss and he said he just doesn't want to put any more money into the salon so I feel really deflated.
I don't know if I should stay or go. I e worked so so hard to build up. I've been there three years starting with minimal clients. I increasd by £12000 on pervious year last year and I've taken even more on that this year.
My biggest problem is it's my best friends salon and they are on leave for the foreseeable and I don't want to let them down.

This is a hard one I commend your loyalty but you shouldn't compromise your wellbeing! Can you talk to your best friend? And explain that unless it turns around you will have to leave? It's not like you haven't bought any ideas to the table X

... And if the clients are noticing something needs to be done proto, I wouldn't be surprised if a couple at least have gone somewhere else or at least considered it x

Thanks for the reply Charlotte.
I know I feel like I'm in such an awkward place.
I love the salon and love the staff (what's left [emoji23]) I think it has sooooo much potential it's unreal. I feel like I could really smash it here but it's the lack of enthusiasm from the other two staff.
I've spoken to my friend but I don't want to tell her too much, she is in mat leave and she is quite fragile at the mo as her baby is poorly so I really do t want to bother her with my worries. She rang me when the beautician left and said she would totally understand if I left and she wouldn't hold it on me. She knows how difficult the other two owners can be.
I feel the same as what you have said. I always put up with so much but as soon as my clients experience is compromised I get massive alarm bells.
I'm on a good wage here and we have just bought a house so I'm contemplating going mobile as I want a baby in the next three years. I'm at that awkward stage where I don't want to peeve my clients off by moving too much and I'm worried about how many would take me on mobile. Xxx

I'd be looking for somewhere else. The boss has said he doesn't want to spend any more money. Not that he can't , he doesn't want to. He doesn't give a monkeys. Clients are noticing and they will soon vote with their feet if you don't do something. Forget the fact this your best friends business . You also have yourself to think of. You've build a good clientele. Do you really want to lose that to someone who doesn't give a sh1t? What about renting a chair? Then you control your own stock, suppliers etc.

Completely agree! Rent a chair you clearly have the enthusiasm and passion to make it work! Do it.... And you can work a family around it xx

If you love the salon and don't want to leave why not ask about renting a chair it sounds like you're brining in a decent amount of money x that way you get all your own stock and your clients are properly taken care of without you having to move. You can do your own advertising for yourself get your own vouchers etc and it will benefit you. Then maybe if the other staff see you doing so well it might give them the kick up the butt that they need? This way you get best of both world full control but in a salon you already know you like. You can get colour trolleys with a lockable cupboard on them so you can lock up your personal stock. Good luck with whatever you decide xx

Renting a chair also has its pitfalls if you have a bad landlord so personally, I wouldn't rent a chair in the same salon as I'd be wary of further new problems cropping up with this existing boss.

Start afresh in a new place and there's every chance that most of your regulars will follow you. Clients aren't stupid and they will stick with a good hairstylist assuming they have your new details.

Renting a chair also has its pitfalls if you have a bad landlord so personally, I wouldn't rent a chair in the same salon as I'd be wary of further new problems cropping up with this existing boss.

Start afresh in a new place and there's every chance that most of your regulars will follow you. Clients aren't stupid and they will stick with a good hairstylist assuming they have your new details.
Good point I didn't think of landlord issues! X

It sounds like the owners have checked out. have you considered offering to buy them out?

Latest posts

Back