Stickin it to the man!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeahyeah

Reaction score
hey everybody! im hoping some of you amazing smarty-pants know-it-all techs can help me out.... my mother is a clinical pathologist and at the hospital where she works ALL employees were recently are banned from wearing any type of nail enhancements. it used to be that only hospital employees who deal with patients directly were not allowed to wear enhancements. they claim that their decision to change the rule is based on new studies regarding artificial nails and fungus, however they're refusing to give the employees any documentation on these alleged new studies. several employees at the hospital are upset about the new rule but they're willing to abide if wearing enhancements in the hospital could be putting any patients in danger.... but first (!) they've all got together and decided to fight the system! my mom asked if I have any information and I'd like to offer something more than just my personal opinion! I'm finding all kinds of mixed information online so if anyone has any idea how to help I would be so greatful! any documented studies or articles or anything would be super helpful! thanks in advance!

My suggestion would be to get Dr Douglas Schoon's book, Nail Structure and Product Chemistry, Second Edition. Or you can find Dr Schoon on Facebook and ask him for some hard scientific fact - he's the man who can help you.

Good luck because the hospitals rule is bunk!

~bump~

anyone, anyone?:) I do have mr schoons book, and the CDC hand hygiene handbook which also has a very small blurb about nail enhancements.... any other ideas?

Unfortunately people get fungal infections on their nails. They could go to the swimming pool and get it on their nails and feet.Yes you can get it from bad hygiene at salons from having artificial nail enhancements, but you can also get it from other factors. Do they not wear gloves? I know in Australia that for years that nurses, doc's have not been able to wear enhancements or polish. But unless it is going to potentially contaminate something then I can't see the problem. But again, we haven't seen the studies! And what salons are they looking at? And what are the hygiene standards like at these salons? I really think that to gain credibility on the matter that they should be publishing the research for discussion etc. IMO:)

I think the problem with this is going to be down to one word - publicity.

Hospitals are always on a loosing battle with infections (when I was in an out of hospital years ago we never heard of MRSA) because unfortunately the smallest problem becomes a total PR disaster! And so they are taking as many steps as possible to make their lives easier ... unfortunately most of the steps are the ones that don't cost anything which is where this blanket ban comes in I guess. Its like mobiles at pretrol stations ... there is the tiniest possibility that one may have caused a spark or explosion so they get a blanket ban.

Unfortunately hospitals are too under fundeded to do stuff like replace every door handle in the building with copper ones (the one service everyone touches as some point in a visit).

Mat

I second what was said above: Take Doug's book to the office and tell them to READ.

Also... I don't know about the rest of you techs....
But amongst family/friends/acquaintances etc etc... I have noticed that those that DO have enhancements have CLEANER HANDS................
Why? They pay more attention to them. Pretty logical and definately something for the upper management to consider.

hth's

Thanks for all the advice.... they had a meeting today to discuss the new rule and the employees were armed with lots of good information, (the safety board had NO documentation of what studies they used as grounds to make the rule)... they did decide to lift the ban for employees in clerical positions, which is better than i expected:)

Latest posts

Back