Still learning and gaining confidence

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenfleur

Reaction score
Hi all, hope you all had a lovely Christmas! I wasn't able to post much before Christmas as it was a bit hectic! However, I did manage to practice on some much willing volunteers before Christmas! No surprise there!
I've only just started out with nails and have many questions still. When you all started out, did you ask for 'donations' for your practise nails. Obviously I'm still slow, although I did a few 1 hour complete set of gelish with all the prep work on the last few sets. I can feel my confidence increasing with each set that I do. I'm awaiting all the removals and hopefully new gelish on these people. I understand that that I need this practice time, but it's building up colours that I'm starting to think about asking for a small donation. What do you all think?

I don't agree with you asking for a small donation..

Don't undervalue yourself, although you are only starting out your time , product and training are worth being paid for.

Charge a reduced price as you are in training .

Personally I think if people get something for nothing they don't appreciate it.

NO FREEBIES!!!!!
I know its sometimes hard because your practising but your qualified so unless its familly no freebies, If you work out what you will charge after you feel confident offer models half price treatments. Thats what I do, ask ladies if they would like to model for you explain that your qualified but want to perfect your skills before you charge full price, you'll be surprised at how willing ladies will be. This has worked for me I qualified nearly 6 years ago but didnt keep it up I used models to get my skills up to scratch and a year on have the confidence and full paying clients who were once models hope this helps and good luck xx

I agree- you have to stop the freebies! I did quite a few freebies at first and ended up with a friend's sister expecting a very cheap removal & shellac rockstars, because I'd done my friend for free. It was very awkward when I asked for more money (which was still a VERY good deal for her). Lesson learned- no more freebies!

In my State, we are not allowed to charge while we are in school but when can accept donations for supply cost. I don't ask for one. I normally do sets on the teens at school and they pay the school for the cost of supplies (which is kind of lame because I end up using my stuff because it's better, but whatever, I'm getting used to it, lol, and some of them are getting good about giving me a tiny tip which is always accepted with pleasant surprise). I've only done nails once out of school but she colored my hair for me so that was an exchange of services. Once I graduate and I have my license, I will charge an intro rate until I get more confident and I'll make sure people know that it will be going up. I'll be using CND products so I'll probably charge 60% or more of what the going rate is locally. It really depends, I need to see how much insurance and stuff is going to cost me. Plus, I'm not allowed to run a business out of my house unless there is a separate entrance, and other stipulations. My instructor told me I could do it from home "under the table" but I don't think I'll be doing that. I do have a couple family friends that said I could do their nails and they would pay me. If it's not legally under a business name with a business license and all that legal stuff, then I don't think I can really have control of what they pay me.

Charging, even at a reduced rate, is a double edged sword! Even knowing you are practising you will,still get some grief when things go wrong.

You HAVE to practice otherwise you won't progress. You need the 'models' more than they need you. You learn far more from things not being right (eg lifting, breaking etc) and working out what is wrong and how to put it right. Your best models will be those that come back to,you and allow you maintain their nails over a few times so you can see if your adjustments have worked.

At the beginning I believe you should give you time for free (you need that time) but charge for products so you can afford to replenish. Ask for a commitment from your models for the reasons I've explained. When you start to get reasonable results then is the time to start charging properly. Your original models can then decide if they want to continue or not.

Too many people assume that a reduced rate is acceptable at the beginning. They get problems and unhappy 'clients', don't get the commitment for real learning in maintenance treatments then wonder how to put their prices up!

No one is a professional nail technician in a position to be charging at the beginning. It's difficult to put a time or the number of models that classes 'the beginning' as everyone is different; so is their training. As a rough idea I would say around 3-4 models every week and maintaining them for 3-4 treatments for, at least, 6 months if not a year.

I strongly disagree with the attitude of do a quick course and start charging. This so often ends in failure and problems.

Hey Hun I'm qualified but still practising but I charge I warn them that in slow as I'm still only starting off and this is why it's at a reduced price, this is on friends tho and they're very good they wouldn't expect me to do it for nothing

I agree with Mum that for the first few months you NEED your models to practise on, much more than they need you. Maybe I was lucky but after a while my friends insisted on paying.

But what if you don't know anyone? That's the situation I'm in. Once I'm out of school, I have no one. No close family or friends since I moved across country. I feel like my only option is to get a job (if I can find one) and offer an intro price. I'll be taking CND courses as they become available in my area during this time.

Thank you all for your replies. It is a double edged sword! It's as you say mum, I need them more than they need me. I'm not expecting to make money yet, however with people asking for different colours, I can't afford new colours while I'm not getting anything back. And the colours are soooooo pretty! So making sure that clients are aware this is a charge for products to enable me to replenish stocks and get a wider range of colours seems the way to move forward. Like you say again mum, I'm not wanting to rush and start charging as i believe too this will result in failure and problems, I want to put the time and effort into becoming a good nail technician. I'm really interested reading all the articles about rockstar nails as they look lovely, but I don't want to run before I can walk, maybe by next Christmas...!

Thank you all for your replies. It is a double edged sword! It's as you say mum, I need them more than they need me. I'm not expecting to make money yet, however with people asking for different colours, I can't afford new colours while I'm not getting anything back. And the colours are soooooo pretty! So making sure that clients are aware this is a charge for products to enable me to replenish stocks and get a wider range of colours seems the way to move forward. Like you say again mum, I'm not wanting to rush and start charging as i believe too this will result in failure and problems, I want to put the time and effort into becoming a good nail technician. I'm really interested reading all the articles about rockstar nails as they look lovely, but I don't want to run before I can walk, maybe by next Christmas...!

Sounds like you're going to be just fine :) Good luck (there's a website called guinea pig or something like that where you can try to find models. Maybe someone here will know the address)

Hi all. Thought I would jump in. I was thinking the same as I'm starting out and need models for nails. I'm insured for case studies only so was going to ask only for donations to cover costs but I'm not sure it's the way to go now. Lots of people do it different ways I guess. X

When I was doing case studies I didn't charge anything but after getting my cert I started charging

Latest posts

Back