Strange experience with a 'Nail Tech'

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballyboo

Reaction score
Hi

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I just wanted to share what happened to me earlier today. I'm a hair geek but just want to vent!

A lady on facebook has been advertising herself as CND trained, and is doing a special offer of a full set of acrylics for £12.50 until new years eve and has had lot of excellent feedback from past clients on her page so I booked her for this morning.

She turned up holding a towel and a handbag - which I thought was odd, not having a kit with her, (I'm a hairdresser and imagined she would have a big kit like me lol) so she comes in, sits down and rolls out her towel which smells of monomer really bad and there was tonnes of dried acrylic on the towel, it was awful! Then she pulled out a White block file, a brush, a box of tips and 2 pots of stuff from her handbag which were covered in tobacco! (no labels just a plain White pot) couldn't believe it! I had nail polish on and had run out of nail polish remover and stupidly assumed she would have some but she didn't have anything apart from the things she pulled out her bag! She said she would buff off my polish, and I asked her if she was going to tidy up my cuticle area also as they hadn't been done for a couple of weeks and she said no.

I questioned her on being CND trained and she went bright red and said that it was over 10 years ago and she had forgotten her steps etc so I told her to forget it - I had a bad feeling when i realised she didnt even have the proper equipment so was kind of glad when she left to be honest! I had a client at 3pm this afternoon who had her nails done by this lady yesterday and I have had a lucky escape by the looks of it! Product was all along the sidewalls, they were very bulbous and there was no nail bed to look at as the tips were stuck in so far up - they are a mess! This poor lady said her nails were aching her so she has booked in a salon tomorrow for them to be removed.

I'm just a bit annoyed as I was really looking forward to having my nails done by a CND trained nail tech when infact I doubt she had ever trained with them at all, and she is telling everyone she uses the best products etc and it's all lies.

I don't know if there is anything I can do or anyone I can report her to, but I have noticed that she is very busy so people must be ok with the nails she's producing??

Thanks for reading, feel better now l have had a moan xxx

No, people just like crap!!
My aunt does acrylic nails.... and it makes me fume as she tries to copy me with everything, she is now doing manicure and pedicures... I dread to know what that includes.

She isn't qualified and does really bad acrylics, I have had a few of her clients for gel extensions and some of the stories are horrofic, she gave someone a nail infection too. I couldn't bare tell her due to her being close family.

She has come to me to have waxing done before and asked lots of questions so I guess this will be her next venture.
Makes me angry though as she always has people coming back to her all the time. Yet I am qualified and I struggle.

It's strange isn't it? They must like the £12.50 price tag more than having nice nails lol

Tell me about it. I just can't grasp her sometimes... I am thinking of going back to college and doing the part time nail course seen as I missed out on acrylic. Might get some more tips on my gel nails too.

Maybe then when I do acrylic more people will come to me instead of her.

I think sometimes people just don't know what "good nails" should look like, so they think that kind of thing is normal! Either that, or they just think that they "will do" for the cheap price charged.

can't understand how people put up with shabby nails, but it honestly seems to me that to some, as long as they look ok from a distance, they are happy with that. Mind you, I also can't understand how people put up with gel nails that are 3 weeks old - the regrowth drives me potty to look at, so perhaps I'm just a bit OCD!

Years ago, when I was about 18, I went to a very posh spa with my Mum, and had a french manicure in their salon, and paid about £40 for the privelige. It was completely crap - wonky smile lines, bumpy polish, took forever to dry - even my mum said "Good lord, you can do your own nails French polished better than that!" - I'm a real perfectionist and would just start again if they didn't look right, even before I had some training!

I think there are people more interested in 2he price than the quality. When training I looked for people to practice on, was cheap as I needed practice. I charged enough to cover petrol and expenses, but I was totally honest about the fact I was training. People understood what they were getting, and how long it would take and were fine with it. But funnily enough, now im not doing it as cheap they are nowhere to be seen.

No doubt they will pop back up when I offer cheap treatments for new stuff i'm training in!!!!

It's strange isn't it? They must like the £12.50 price tag more than having nice nails lol

Just like you! Honestly what did you expect, when it sounds to good to be true.....then it usually is

alpot of people think there cheep nails are amazing ... till they have issues and then they complaine! just like the ones who go to the chop shop i bet many of them know it shuldnt hurt and they shuldnt be bleeding ... but its cheap ...
untill it goes wrong and they get bactirea infec or onycolisis or some such then its all pitty party!

sounds like you did have a lucky escape ,

i hope someone sees this post and messages you who is CND trained in your area and you get a good treatment that you wanted , x

Fortunately you had the good sense and widsom to walk away. Sounds like her entire set up wasn't very sanitary, to say the least. Obviously some people don't care as long as the price is right since she's getting business.

You're smart enough not to sacrifice your nail health as well as your over all health for the sake of saving a few pennies.

Smart YOU!

...she went bright red and said that it was over 10 years ago and she had forgotten her steps

She might as well stop calling herself qualified. How awful!

Not sure about the rest of you, but does it really take a lot of intelligence to know how nails should look?? Shouldn't they look natural? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see bad nails. It urks me tremdously to hear someone who does "crappy" nails is busy. I just don't get it!! :grr:

I have a friend who regularly goes to NSS salons, I have tried to get her to come to me but she says she prefers the way they look...they look like door stops!?!

There's no pleasing some people.

OP well done for having the sense to tell her to leave! I hope you manage to find a real CND trained tech :)

Rhiannon x

A friend of mine trained but stopped as they weren't lasting long enough, but I must say if a bride asked of a place to go I would recommend my friend as I have never seen such a natural looking nail in all my life, super thin, and perfectly formed, but they do only last 2/3 days, but ok for a wedding.
Point being she trained, didn't like to do them any thicker and decided to stop instead of doing work she wasn't happy with xoxo

To be honest the price would have alarmed me straight away, I know you said you went through the feedback and assumed it was a good deal but I just wouldn't trust it. Some people will do anything to make a few quid. You got a really lucky escape. This lady will give up soon as you will tell anyone you hear of who is thinking of giving this lady business and so will the others who ended up with sore infected nails.

I'm so glad for you that you are a strong woman that felt able to ask those questions and refuse her treatment....i always let people know that this is ok and in fact encouraged, lol.

I wonder if she really is that busy or if she just has lots of friends commenting on her fb page to build up business?

Some people like that "fake" look and they definitely can't look more fake than that! Hideous IMO xx

Hi

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I just wanted to share what happened to me earlier today. I'm a hair geek but just want to vent!

A lady on facebook has been advertising herself as CND trained, and is doing a special offer of a full set of acrylics for £12.50 until new years eve and has had lot of excellent feedback from past clients on her page so I booked her for this morning.

She turned up holding a towel and a handbag - which I thought was odd, not having a kit with her, (I'm a hairdresser and imagined she would have a big kit like me lol) so she comes in, sits down and rolls out her towel which smells of monomer really bad and there was tonnes of dried acrylic on the towel, it was awful! Then she pulled out a White block file, a brush, a box of tips and 2 pots of stuff from her handbag which were covered in tobacco! (no labels just a plain White pot) couldn't believe it! I had nail polish on and had run out of nail polish remover and stupidly assumed she would have some but she didn't have anything apart from the things she pulled out her bag! She said she would buff off my polish, and I asked her if she was going to tidy up my cuticle area also as they hadn't been done for a couple of weeks and she said no.

I questioned her on being CND trained and she went bright red and said that it was over 10 years ago and she had forgotten her steps etc so I told her to forget it - I had a bad feeling when i realised she didnt even have the proper equipment so was kind of glad when she left to be honest! I had a client at 3pm this afternoon who had her nails done by this lady yesterday and I have had a lucky escape by the looks of it! Product was all along the sidewalls, they were very bulbous and there was no nail bed to look at as the tips were stuck in so far up - they are a mess! This poor lady said her nails were aching her so she has booked in a salon tomorrow for them to be removed.

I'm just a bit annoyed as I was really looking forward to having my nails done by a CND trained nail tech when infact I doubt she had ever trained with them at all, and she is telling everyone she uses the best products etc and it's all lies.

I don't know if there is anything I can do or anyone I can report her to, but I have noticed that she is very busy so people must be ok with the nails she's producing??

Thanks for reading, feel better now l have had a moan xxx

I am in Lincolnshire and a fully trained Master with CND since 2003, have sent you an inbox, well done for questioning her qualifications, some people wouldn't have the moxie to do that xx

Thanks for replying everyone, I won't be falling for anything like this again!!

Maybe you should give her some honest feed back on her facebook page. Sounds like the previous comments were probably left by friends.

Latest posts

Back