Strange text I got...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelly123

Reaction score
I work from home for myself. I usually have 1 or 2 clients in at a time. I hear the usual gossip and usually have a chuckle, a shock or sadness at what I hear. I never join in and outright gossip about someone personally or bring up anyone's name.
Anyway today I get a text saying " if you r going to talk about me to your clients get all the facts first and dont talk about me to my friends"
I am genuinely shocked by this. Firstly I never bring up ANYONES name and also it's just not my thing.
I'm 38, married with 2 kids and frankly I've got enough going on without this. Now I'm thinking constantly about this all day, and don t need this worry.
What do you think I should do? Ignore or respond?

Advice appreciated. I'm a total worrier!

Ignore. Whatever that is has got nothing to do with you. You're a professional. That stuff belongs in the school yard.

I work from home for myself. I usually have 1 or 2 clients in at a time. I hear the usual gossip and usually have a chuckle, a shock or sadness at what I hear. I never join in and outright gossip about someone personally or bring up anyone's name.
Anyway today I get a text saying " if you r going to talk about me to your clients get all the facts first and dont talk about me to my friends"
I am genuinely shocked by this. Firstly I never bring up ANYONES name and also it's just not my thing.
I'm 38, married with 2 kids and frankly I've got enough going on without this. Now I'm thinking constantly about this all day, and don t need this worry.
What do you think I should do? Ignore or respond?

Advice appreciated. I'm a total worrier!
If you never mention any names how would they know your talking about them I would just ignore it, there been petty x

I wouldnt ignore it, she may start slandering you. Clear it up, id just ring them rather than getting into text exchanges- whats going on? whats this all about? Ok then leave it be, but you dont like being accused of things that you have no control over! xoxo

I agree it is school yard which is what has made me so mad. I've been hairdressing for 20years and am professional always.
The o ly thing I can think of is if a client tells me story about something I'd maybe say "god that's shocking" or give my advice on what I would do. I'd never say " oh you know X well wait til I tell you this" it's not what I do.

So upset and am not a confrontational person! Am worried they post something on my FB page :-(

You will find someone has been gossiping to you about someone and like you said and which I always do you just go along with what theyr saying like and as the saying goes you fly with the crows you get shot with the crows ( correct me if I'm wrong lol ) but I would definitely ring the number and just say you would like her to explain her txt and clear up any misunderstandings x

I would call her and find out what you have allegedly said and clear your name ,let us know how it go's :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

I had my friends sis in the salon once and a few days later I got a text from my friend saying "if you are gonna talk about me, don't do it to my sister" turns out, I'd said to her sis that I didn't see her as much, she was settled down with her bf etc. I didn't mean it in a bad way, I think I said something like it was different from how it was when we had lived together (getting drunk etc lol) but her sis obv got wrong end of the stick.

What I mean is people can get very very mixed up, if you find out the rest of the story you will be able to defend yourself!

ring her, clear it up, move on! x

What a coincidence! I had exactly the same thing last wk. a post on my Facebook wall, saying virtually the same thing about a woman I hardly know.
I was also shocked as I genuinely had no idea what it was all about. I sent her a message and asked for her phone number. We had a very civilised conversation and I believed it had all been resolved and was a misunderstanding. However the next day another mutual friend of mine texted me accusing me of saying all sorts!

It was awful. It ended up involving 5 people. 3 of them my friends, one of which wouldn't even speak to me as the malicious lies that had been created were horrible.

I never "gossip" can't bear it and was upset about the whole thing.
It was pathetic playground rumours, but as much as its easy to say don't worry about it, it's really not nice.

I did try to go directly to the people to resolve it, but it gets to a point when you have to say, well if that's what you want to believe that's up to you.

I understand how stressful it is ( I'm also 30wks pregnant, so the hormones didn't help ) but tomorrow is another day and it'll blow over. Keep smiling :) x

i have had something sort of like this , i was working in a salon at the time and the client i was doing said mrs x my neighbour comes in here for hair , all i said was yes she does , next day mrs x came in had a massive go at me saying i shouldnt talk about her ( which i didnt ) there wasnt much i could say after all she was a client , after the shock i went out the back and cried !
It is horrible and know how you feel , if i were you i would ring her so you can defend yourself , dont forget when people gossip a lot of content gets changed so god knows what has got back to her , i agree with the other posts you dont want your name made into mud as you are obviously talented and professional (20yrs) give her a ring , it will only play on your mind otherwise ! good luck and sorry about the novel lol xx:wink2:

I had a similar thing, but that was a family feud, and my best friends mum, who's hair I do, had a slagging match with her ex husband's wife, who was also my client, then basically said " I know all this cos Sharon told me!!" I had not told anyone anything! Turns out it was the daughter in law that had been stirring but my bf's mum didn't want to put her in it so blamed me. Thankfully my client knew it wasn't me cos I didn't actually know half the study that had been said. Bloody nightmare, so that's one thing that could've happened, or like some other Geeks have said, you've agreed, oh'd and ah'd and that's enough for some peeps, I've had that happen as well.

I wud ring her don't text for sure.

Isn't it funny how very often we are stereotyped into "gossips"
I spend most of my time listening to the gossip everyone else tells me, not repeating it or starting it in the first place!
I mean as if we have nothing else to do!!
It's laughable really.
The above post is completely right, Chinese whispers and the content gets changed enormously. It just reminds me of celebrity juice!!

In my case I found it was the guilty party that tried to use me as the scapegoat. The " gossip " hairdresser the perfect candidate :)

one of the first things I teach my juniors is "what is said in the salon stays in the salon". Clients get comfortable in the chair and say anything and everything its more like a councelling session sometimes but you always have to remember your the stylist and they are the client and your are not a qualified counceller.

Dont let it annoy you! Delete the message. Be careful though if you have someone in telling you something about someone and you nod at all....... your agreeing. I always answer' noway gosh I didnt no that' Even if I do! lol x

Latest posts

Back