"Stringy bits" in Shellac Base Coat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helbels

Reaction score
Hello

A couple of times recently I've applied Shellac base coat, cured all fingers and it's looked fine (I use the proper CND shellac lamp).

I've then applied the first colour coat, and as I've applied, it's as if the base coat has gone a bit funny because I kind of get "stringy bits" as I put the colour coat on.

My bulbs are fine, but I'm wondering what could be causing this. Things I'm wondering about are: not shaking the base coat enough, or base coat too thick.

Anyone else experienced it, and if so, do you know how I can eliminate it? Thanks x

Could it possibly be bits of cotton wool or fibres from your nail wipes What are you using the scrub fresh with, is it lint free? Just trying to rule that out

E xx

I was going to say the same as ellebelle - are you entirely sure they're not just fuzzies? Next time you see one, try to pull it out with an orange wood stick before curing. then just repaint the area :)

xx

Hi,
I'm a hairdresser, I have done my own nails forever, Backscraters fiberglass. I have to say I'm new to doing nails on others, I am currently practicing on fellow hairdressers & friends to get my speed up. (hats off to all the nail techs I have a new respect for all of you - gel nails are quite tricky) I took 2 CND classes, invested in quite a bit of Shellac polishes, all their prep stuff & their light. I have to say I'm not as excited as other nail techs seems to be about Shellac? I'm switching over to Gelish & am much happier. I had problems with Shellac top coats & the darker colors getting really thick on me no matter how much I shook it. With the Gelish top coat & polishes you never shake them & the thickness doesn't change. It may be like someone posted earlier but I went through 2 top coats before switching. It got really thick & hard to get a thin coat on nail. Couldn't get Shellac to stay on as good as the Gelish has?
On a fun note was at the ABS Beauty Show in Chicago past weekend, got some Gelish Magneto - what FUN!!! Had seen the technique online but applying it is a RIOT! Took me a few times to hover the magnet over nail color & not accidently touch color but finished product worth the practice!

I have a brand new base coat and it's got some fuzzy bits in it. As if it was contaminated :(

Me too

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I must ring CND and speak to them. Apparently it "happens" although I am not that happy about it :(

Here are my new nails shellac zillionaire with glitter from Walmart ! It covered the stringy bits! Makes me wonder about temperature changes because mine was good and now it has them also.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1331433007.659952.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1331433007.659952.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 2,037
Last edited:
Thanks everyone. It's definitely not fuzzies as I have run an orange stick through it to check.It is just as if the base has gone like jelly. When it has happened, I have carried on and the colour coat has disguised it, and the nails seem to last just as well. Its annoying though and I would love to know what
causes it....

Hey babe it sounds to me like you are scratching the nail plate... Xxx

I had stringy bits yesterday too, and it was on a new client!

It was also a brand new bottle, I thought I just hadn't shook the bottle enough. It was certainly ok on my next two clients after that tho - Shake, shake, shake!

Hope you get it sorted out.
Cx

I had stringy bits yesterday too, and it was on a new client!

It was also a brand new bottle, I thought I just hadn't shook the bottle enough. It was certainly ok on my next two clients after that tho - Shake, shake, shake!

Hope you get it sorted out.
Cx

Thanks - at least it's not just me going mad!! I will make sure I give it a whacking great shake in the future...

Another thing I just thought of is you're definitely just curing base coat for 10 seconds?

E xx

I spoke yesterday to a CND educator who said that she heard about that happening... Hmmmm.... Unfortunately she didn't explain why :(

But at least we know it happens :)

Ps. Oh yes- I shake, shake & shake :)

Another thing I just thought of is you're definitely just curing base coat for 10 seconds?

E xx

Yep, only 10 seconds. The really odd thing is that I can do 10 nails, and this will happen on say 3 of them, but not on the other 7 that are done at the same time!

I have just had he same thing happen on my nails tonight. First ever use of shellac so new bottle and it really threw me.

Latest posts

Back