Stripey highlights

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucylu14

Reaction score
Hello

I’m quite new to hairdressing, only qualified in October so still quite quiet.

But when I do highlights that aren’t just bleach I find they go really stripey? And I don’t know how to stop that. Sometimes even when I try to make my sections finer they still look like that.

Is there any techniques I could use to solve this?? Or should I just do them really fine?

I get so worried the customer hates them so I wanted some advice :(

try taking them fine but weave or slice at a diagonal angle. you 'll come across many different scenarios than those you came across at college now that you've finished. if you learn from any mistakes you will develop your own style and become a successful hairdresser. education is key and you'll never stop learning new techniques. good luck x

At college, were taught to section off into 9 sections. When you reach the top, were taught to take foils horizontally through the top. When the hair is washed and laid into natural parting, the highlights are split and this is what creates the 'stripey look'. Imagine the following;
__|__
__|__
__|__
Ignore the vertical lines for a moment. The horizontal lines are your foils. Now the vertical line is the parting and you have lines on either side=Stripe. Does this makes sense?

So, try and place your foils at a diagonal angle and you'll find they will sit more naturally.
Something like below. Generally I will do 3 sections working up the back, put the natural parting in place and work diagonally up towards the parting. I hope this helps you :)

At college, were taught to section off into 9 sections. When you reach the top, were taught to take foils horizontally through the top. When the hair is washed and laid into natural parting, the highlights are split and this is what creates the 'stripey look'. Imagine the following;
__|__
__|__
__|__
Ignore the vertical lines for a moment. The horizontal lines are your foils. Now the vertical line is the parting and you have lines on either side=Stripe. Does this makes sense?

So, try and place your foils at a diagonal angle and you'll find they will sit more naturally.
Something like below. Generally I will do 3 sections working up the back, put the natural parting in place and work diagonally up towards the parting. I hope this helps you :)

Thank you!!!!

Make sure your weaving from the roots and so your sections aren’t too think

diagonal%20foils.png
this is how I usually go about it.

Hello

I’m quite new to hairdressing, only qualified in October so still quite quiet.

But when I do highlights that aren’t just bleach I find they go really stripey? And I don’t know how to stop that. Sometimes even when I try to make my sections finer they still look like that.

Is there any techniques I could use to solve this?? Or should I just do them really fine?

I get so worried the customer hates them so I wanted some advice :(
Here's something I thought an apprentice last year she struggled with highlighting too. Take a fine slice as if you were slicing the hair and then weave that sections, take smaller sections and take then closer together much nicer, more natural results it takes a little longer but your clients will love it! I find a lot of hairdresser just slam the highlights in and the they are chunk and have big gaps between them which obviously means they look stripey. Hope this helps.

I had the same problem, but now I tend to do fine diagonal slices which gives a much softer blend. Good luck xxx

Thanks guys all of this really helped all the highlights I have done recently have been 100% better

Latest posts

Back