Student rant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emarie

Reaction score
So I'm disappointed in my cosmetology school and was wondering if the schools you all are attending or attended have the same issues? My biggest issue is that after spending all this money to be in school they have us doing janitorial work. Taking the garbage out every night, laundry, folding, cleaning all the mirrors in the whole school, sweeping the whole school, there is a long list of things needed. I def think we should clean up after ourselves but I feel like I pay to much money to take garbage out every night! This is not the type of education I'm paying for.

Honestly, it's part of school. It's part of working in a salon too. Get over it, get your education, and get out.

You're school is just preparing you for when you graduate. When I was in school in the 90's we all had to do this same stuff. It's part of learning sanitation. When you start working in a salon, your clients are going to look at how well you keep your station clean and how clean the salon is. Clients don't want to go to a salon that looks messy and dirty. You are going to do all these things in the salon too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using SalonGeek mobile app

Agree with the others. Its building habits so they become second nature as its so important. We have s salon manager to delegate jobs after ever class and we do a deep clean every 6 weeks. It doesn't take long.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

When I trained we were shown how to fold towels. I just kept my mouth shut and my head down and folded towels. One of my fellow students would stand there ranting "I didn't come here to learn to fold towels".
Some months after we qualified I went to her home salon for a leg wax. Her towels were in a right mess. She clearly didn't think it was important whereas I think a client can walk in and make an immediate judgement.

Grin and bear it. Good luck

Vicki x

We make our students do laundry, fold towels, clean the kitchen area,mop floor and deep clean the equipment and anything else that needs doing ... We have had some students moan ... But it's part of the course ... How can we say they are 'work ready' if they don't know how to do these jobs ... you wouldn't believe the 17 yr olds who don't know how to make a cup of tea / even load a washing mc, never mind turn it on or then put it in the dryer .. !!!! ... I also have had students turn up without uniforms has their mom hasn't washed it ... @ 19 yrs old ..!!!

... And don't get me started on what some ideas of cleaning is ... Lol ... !!!
Its training as its part of your job role / we have no cleaners / laundry person / teas maid ...!!!!

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392894066.294132.jpg

When I trained we were shown how to fold towels. I just kept my mouth shut and my head down and folded towels. One of my fellow students would stand there ranting "I didn't come here to learn to fold towels".
Some months after we qualified I went to her home salon for a leg wax. Her towels were in a right mess. She clearly didn't think it was important whereas I think a client can walk in and make an immediate judgement.

Grin and bear it. Good luck

Vicki x

Haha this made me laugh because one of our teachers is so pedantic about how to fold the towels properly and how many to have spare in the cabinet, some Of the girls really moan about it but then their stations look such a state!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Its all part of the parcel im afraid . It teaches u standards . If you are a tidy junior u will be a tidy stylist x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yep all part & parcel of it. We had to do all of that when in college. It sets you up well for the real world.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I worked in a spa when training over 10 years ago, folding towels was one of the jobs it's so engrained in me that when I house sat at my mums last month I reorganised her whole laundry cupboard as it was such a mess lol!!

Last edited:
If you don't want to wash and fold towels you should look at switching from cotton towels to disposable towels. It means more time for training in colleges and for apprentices in salons.

They also can save space because you no longer need washing machines, tumble dryers and stacks of cotton towels.

Let me know if you want any more info - message me here or email [email protected]

Hope this has helped?

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

You should be glad that your college are making you do that, if they don't, when you go out in the real world and get a salon job and your boss asks you to make sure the toilet is clean, the towels and folded and washed, the floor is spotless and to change the garbage bags and wash the tint bowls and etc you will be shocked. Those duties need to be done everyday between clients in a salon.
It's not really playing with peoples hair all day it's got more to it.
Your employer won't be teaching you this stuff once you're qualified, they expect it to be common sense.
The only time they teach you is as an apprentice otherwise it's at school.

You should be glad that your college are making you do that, if they don't, when you go out in the real world and get a salon job and your boss asks you to make sure the toilet is clean, the towels and folded and washed, the floor is spotless and to change the garbage bags and wash the tint bowls and etc you will be shocked. Those duties need to be done everyday between clients in a salon.
It's not really playing with peoples hair all day it's got more to it.
Your employer won't be teaching you this stuff once you're qualified, they expect it to be common sense.
The only time they teach you is as an apprentice otherwise it's at school.

Sorry same goes for beauty x

I've been working in my salon since I was 14, I'm 30 now, when I trained I had to prove I could,fold towels, sweep the floor, answer the phones, clean equipment properly , the list is endless .. I work in a small salon, and I still have to do it, but now I'm qualified to do it lol.
It's not always easy or glamorous, but I love my job

It is a part of our job. Our responsibility to keep our workplace sanitary and organized. If you think that an employer will hire extra janitorial staff to do our jobs then you are best changing careers.
I have a small spa and I do the job of 5-6 people on a good day. I am lucky that I have a mother who loves to clean and get herself pampered so we barter. Every Sunday she does a deep clean at the spa, daily chores are all mine :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm actually going through this right now. As a salon assistant/hairstylist trainee, I fold towels, sweep hair, clean trolleys, etc. in addition to helping with clients.

On my worst days, I was tempted to say, "I'm not here for this." or "What am I learning?" But I adjusted.

During beauty school, I never complained about folding towels, sweeping, or wiping down sinks simply because there were slow periods in the day where you might as well be productive. Some students chose to sit around and gossip while watching other students do chores. Trust me, the instructors (who hold a lot of influence) took note of this.

Cleaning up when need be basically demonstrates you have a strong work ethic, take pride in your job, are a clean person in general, etc.

If this habit isn't something that comes naturally to you, it's something you can learn (preferably at beauty school). It's definitely not something you want to be lacking or faking when you get out into the work force.

OMG :eek: you have to clean? Sweep up? AND fold towels?? whatever next!.. So who do you expect to clean up your work area, wash and fold your towels?
You'll go far in your working life having a drama over cleaning, you work in.this industry you'll be sweeping, cleaning and folding towels for the rest of your career luvie, it's all part of the role. X :)

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's a great lesson in self motivation, pride in ones work, and stamina, all of which you'll need as a hairdresser or therapist.
For example, that client I have to do at seven tonight will get exactly the same care and attention as the one I'll be doing at nine this morning. I won't just race through it, thinking 'that'll do'. Years of being forced to take professional pride in every aspect of my work has ingrained that ethic. To this day, I still fold towels exactly right, and sweep thoroughly using two hands on the broom. Lessons like that are never wasted and transfer onto the real client work. To this day, I never leave a finger mark or line on a haircut. Never leave a wonky foil, or miss a patch with colour.
Be a perfectionist in every aspect of your job, whatever that job may be. It's the start of being one of life's winners.

My rant was not so much that I mind doing those things at home and work. But paying so much money for school I wasn't expecting it. Towels, sweeping that's okay. Taking the tiny trash cans out full of women's used pads and tampons, picking up cigarette buts outside... That just seems like a bit much.

Latest posts

Back