Study on Education & Career Paths

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedAdmiral

Reaction score
Hi Geeks after a brief absence I am back on the Nail Scene and am very excited to be spending a summer in the UK performing nail services. For those who do not know me I have had a long, varied, fun career in nails, learning as much as I could and doing as much as I could. It would be true to say that I got 'burn out' and had to leave the industry to .... well do absolutely nothing! I at present flit between Ireland & UK teaching and studying for a degree in Education.

I am keen to improve teaching standards and wanted to incorporate nails (somehow) into my dissertation and am looking for your thoughts on education and career paths.
I saw a thread on Mentorship and if it had not been for certain people & companies (some terrible ones too) I would not be the Nail tech I am today - nor the Educator I am. I try as best as possible to emulate the styles of those I admire the most, this has little to do with what I actually teach. It is more important that my students know I am there for them and always at the end of phone, email etc. and it doesnt matter how long it takes you to 'get it'. But this is very different to what is taught at school/college.

What education route have you taken, how did you choose and what do you feel about the support you have been given?
Have you been educated at college and with nail companies - is there a difference?
Has your career been influenced by education/icons/other Tech's?
How do you see your nail career progressing in the future?

Thanks in advance for any replies and please feel free to PM anytime :hug:

I'll go first
I have trained with nail companies and at college never leaving a year when I didnt learn something new. I am big on attending workshops, demo days, product launches, trade shows and read as many magazines and books that I can.
My first course was just booked and I didnt look at any other company, but I learnt in my first few years 'pay cheap, pay twice'
I got great support from well-known nail companies and was very let down by small companies who - do not send out certs, are not accredited, slag off other companies, do not want to know you after the course etc.
At college (as a nail tech of 4 yrs) I had to memorize 54 d&d and had to answer questions incorrectly to pass, it was all about the assessent and not about 'real' nail skills that tech use everyday. I was taught by a women who had NEVER worked as a nail tech. :eek:
My career has been influenced by such a long list of people that they'll start playing the music to get me off the stage! (p.s this is not a name n shame or letter of thanks - feel free to name ppl if u wish)
In the future I hope to continue passing on what others have given to me

What education route have you taken, how did you choose and what do you feel about the support you have been given?
I started out 16 years ago with CND at the Australaisian College of Beauty Therapy in Sydney (Private). I did a 1 year course in both Beauty therapy and Acrylic nails. I chose this course after doing a bit of research and also, back then, there weren't the choices (in both education and products) we have now. I got lots of support as we spent around 3 months FULL TIME doing acrylics and as a result I was able to go straight into the industry.
Have you been educated at college and with nail companies - is there a difference?
See above for college details. In the past I have 'converted' with various companies. (Pleased to say I have found my fave product of all time!!) I would say that private colleges would probably push and expect more from their students than state colleges as the private colleges charge a whopping fee and have a reputation to uphold.
Education is a huge part of my background. I have been on lots of courses relating to various techniques and have learned a lot on how NOT to do things, as well as how to do things right! I wouldn't say I have icons, but I do definitely look up to several industry 'greats' for influence. I have also seen terrible nails and wonder how the techs can look at their work and be happy with it. That was what prompted me to do it in the first place. I had a set of nails done and thought - I can do better than that!
I have started running courses from the salon. Not ideal, but very small classes which is a bonus. I, like you, want to make a change in the way the industry in the UK educates new techs. As a natural follow on from that I would also like to expand into distribution.

I choose to do a 3 day mani/pedi and gel polish course but as the educator lived 50miles away I was told this could be condensed into one long day so I ended up doing mani/pedi and gel polish all in 10 hours- initially I thought this was a fab idea but on reflection it really wasnt.

Nails and tanning are my 2nd job so as I work full time doing a one day course suited my schedule and allowed me to get started straight away- perfect I thought, however in practice it really wasnt the best option and I wish I had done a 13 week evening course at my local college.

My educator is great and always on hand for my questions but the company I done this course through have awful cutomer service and the owner didnt even realise they were offering a mani/pedi course until I informed him. I was given a detailed info folder to take home which I can look back on but it was just too much info in one day and obv no time to practice my skills. 3 months down the line I am not as confident as I hoped to be but feel I have learnt the majority of my training through salon geek and practice practice practice to be honest.

Only had nail trainng through a nail company

Other techs tips and advice on salon geek

I hope to become more confident as time goes on and perhaps enrol in another course with a local college next year to become more competent/confident in my nail work

Latest posts

Back