Stumped with 2 clients nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire83

Reaction score
I have a couple of clients who have stumped me and I need some advice please.

Client No. 1 has been coming for regular fortnightly appointments. She first came to me at the beginning of the year hoping I could help her with her nails. On one hand, her thumb and ring finger both had vertical splits from free edge. After chatting I found out the thumb had recently been bashed by a car door, but she didn't know about the ring finger. We clipped down the nails a little to avoid catching and I used Gelish with Structure Gel for extra support. Fab. The thumb soon grew out and the split never returned. The ring finger also stopped splitting but then started up again. I am now using Shellac with Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel and silk wraps to keep the nail together.

Her nails are not long, and the split is in the centre of her nail from the free edge and stops 1 or 2 mm below the hyponichium. Obviously I keep patching it up and taking the nails down but as they grow the split continues too.

Is there anything else I can do?

Client No. 2 is a new-ish one, a couple of months as a regular client. We started with Gelish and she got on fine but then switched over to Shellac which it seems we are having problems with. I'm doing pep as on everyone, using scrubfresh on the nail plate before application but she us now getting lifting after a week from eponychium end. I saw her on Saturday and used Nail fresh and really dehydrated the nail before we started with Shellac so will see how we go this time. I thought of oily nail plate? She only takes the contraceptive pill but has to have a gluten free diet. No new products for hands, skin, face etc and doesn't use harsh chemicals etc.

Both clients use Solar Oil as directed and I can see an improvement in both nails and surronding skin in both of them, but I'm stumped with what else I can do for their nails.

Any advice? Thanks.

Ps I'm switching over from Gelish to Shellac because I seem to be allergic to it.

As for your first client, re the finger it may be that the nail will be like that forever. My Harmony educator, Catherine, has a split starting from the middle of her nail and grows to the free edge, there is nothing she can do it's always like that so she just uses structure gel and gelish to keep it intact.

I know from my training if you damage the matrix sometimes that damage can be permanent.

I think you are doing the right thing x

for the first client it may teh nail may always have that split as said, especially if it was damaged from a young age but it may also just need a little longer...nails can take 6-9 months to get in really good condition.

second client see how you get on with nail fresh but it may just be that shellac is not for her. Remember shellac is generally ok for MOST people but not ALL. Some are just too hard on their hands and their nails and often dont own up to do what they are doing xx

I am also allergic to Gelish and use only CND on myself. I have been able to use Gelish on clients wearing nitrile gloves. I wear my gloves at all times as you can be sensitive to the fumes.

I thought this may be the case with the first client and we shall keep persevering. With the second client I will see what happens if not we can try gelish out again, I'm secretly hoping the nail fresh works lol

Thanks for the help all.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have had great results from Nailtiques No 2 - my client who had a split for years (I used to do a fibreglass wrap when it was bad) eventually used her Nailtiques religiously and her split completely disappeared. She has regular manis but no overlays and didn't like Shellac as she likes a polish change. Every so often, her split will start reappearing, so she goes back to just Nailtiques for a while and it goes! I retail loads of it as it is so effective!!!

Vicki x

How does Nailtique work? Not familiar with it at all.

How does Nailtique work? Not familiar with it at all.

Snap. I was just thinking exactly the same. Will have to do a little research I think.

It's a protein based formula that helps with all sorts of nail problems. They do 4 formulas. I have many clients who buy it, but don't use it effectively. When they do use it as directed, the results are fantastic! As for the science......I don't think it can be compared to nail hardeners, as from what I understand they don't actually improve the general condition of the nail (although I may be wrong) whereas Nailtiques improves the appearance, colour, splitting etc, and the ability of the nail to grow healthily.

So I'm taking it this would have to be used alone and with no Shellac on top? Would you recommend a mani and application of this and continual use at home?

So I'm taking it this would have to be used alone and with no Shellac on top? Would you recommend a mani and application of this and continual use at home?

Yes, Nailtiques on it's own with difficult nails is the way to go. Its a long term solution, so they can go back to their manis/Shellacs etc when things improve!

I have to have a gluten free diet and there is something I have been meaning to check out for myself. CND nourishing remover has tocopherol (vitamin E) in it. Often this is made from wheat and if so it can cause a gluten reaction. Tocopherol isn't always made from wheat, it can be made from olives. I need to check with CND what their tocopherol is made from. I will let you know.

Also Solar Oil has rice bran oil in it. Some people who are sensitive to gluten (wheat protein) are also sensitive to rice protein. So that could be it.

I have to have a gluten free diet and there is something I have been meaning to check out for myself. CND nourishing remover has tocopherol (vitamin E) in it. Often this is made from wheat and if so it can cause a gluten reaction. Tocopherol isn't always made from wheat, it can be made from olives. I need to check with CND what their tocopherol is made from. I will let you know.

Also Solar Oil has rice bran oil in it. Some people who are sensitive to gluten (wheat protein) are also sensitive to rice protein. So that could be it.

I am celiac to I have never even thought about this!!
Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back