Suitable time it takes before charging full price?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxcetera

Reaction score
When I started out, after qualifying about 4 months back, I charged £15 for a full set (l&p or UV Gel) and £10 for a rebalance, I've recently put that up to £20 for set and £15 for rebalances. I'm mobile.

Eventually I'm hoping to charge £30 full set and £20 rebalances. My quality is there, clients are chuffed to bits, and they are lasting upto 3 weeks, with occasionally minimal lifting. It's how long its taking me thats stopping me raising prices.

Locally, salons charge £35 upwards, and £27 for rebalance, I'm not comparing myself to the local NSS at all, don't see why I should, they don't care about clients welfare, so I don't care about them!

I'm doing about 3 sets a week currently, 1 a day usually. It's taking me about 2 1/2 hours for a full set. (problem is, its taking much longer, because I know the women from school etc and its a case of a coffee break as and when lol).

I know salon timings will be faster, but what do you think is acceptable time wise to pay full price for?

thanks x

Hey hun, I know how you feel with timings theres so much to do and you have to be quick and efficient but not rushed as you still want the overall result. This is especially tricky when you have chatty clients.
I remember my nail teacher used to say that applying enhancements is not like a manicure where you can chat throughout the treatment. Because its so important to get your application right you need to have full concentration. Obviously you dont want to ignore your clients at the same time as that would be rude.

Keep practicising to get your timing right I don't know if there is a perfect time to do a set of enhancements i think if you can finish a set in under 2 hours then your on the right track. Some girlies are so fast lol its enviable, but it is just practise hun. Then you could put your prices where you are comfortable.

xxx

I think its matter of ur work quality not of time...:o

I guess I'm comparing myself to the nail tech I used to visit, she was the only person I'd ever had to do my nails.

I used to go to her house and it would take her between 2 and 2 1/2hours (without breaks ;)

I was thinking of selling some vouchers for christmas at £25 which is more than I'm charging now, but with a few to charging full price early in the new year. The vouchers would be valid for 6 months.

Maybe when I stop panicing before every appointment might be a good time to start? or do some of you still get that knot in your stomach after years?

Going by past nails the quality is there just quality takes time :D

omg! what was I saying, todays appt took 3 hours!! aarrgghhh

right, I remember seeing a thread on here about shaving a few minutes off here and there, anyone remember it, or was it a tutorial of some kind?

Half of it is, I'm not doing things on auto-pilot yet, after each procedure, I'm mmm right, next I want so and so.

You're in the exact same position as me. A full set still takes me 2 1/2 hours and I don't feel I can charge full price until I'm faster. Every time I think I'm getting somewhere, suddenly I do a 3 hour set!! it's so disheartening isn't it? My rebalances take forever too.

You're in the exact same position as me. A full set still takes me 2 1/2 hours and I don't feel I can charge full price until I'm faster. Every time I think I'm getting somewhere, suddenly I do a 3 hour set!! it's so disheartening isn't it? My rebalances take forever too.
It really takes the sense of achievement out of it, no matter how good the set looks :( Rebalances, mmm yep, forever.

I'd like to buy an e file, but no way I can afford it! With £20 per set 1-3 sets per week, I'm having to scrimp to replace stock, never mind buy new items.

When people talk about how long it takes them to do a full set/rebalance, the burning question for me is always 'A full set/rebalance of 'What' exactly?'

Are they pink and whites, one colour tip and overlay with polish, sculpts, glitter tips/fades, intricate nail art? What are they full sets of????? It makes a huge difference, I find.

I do nails for pleasure as opposed to profit, family and friends only. Even so, I get embarrassed about my timings. Admittedly, we natter and include a cuppa/ciggie break but, if I eliminated those things, I still wouldn't be viable to actually make any real money from nails. It's even worse when I'm doing colour work, as they take their time choosing what they want, obviously. Makes me wonder how on earth anyone could fit all that into a predetermined time frame if in actual business? :irked:

One thing I've noticed amongst 'Some' working techs is that they tend to be rather frugal with their prep, whilst I doggedly stick with what I was taught at the outset. The very life gets filed out of the natural nails to virtually eliminate it.

The quality and durability of my work has improved considerably over time, but the actual timings have reached a point I seem unable to pass, without compromising on the end result. :irked:

the actual timings have reached a point I seem unable to pass, without compromising on the end result. :irked:

I can't seem to get past 2 1/5 hours no matter how hard I try!!

Hi Geeks,

I know how you feel It used to take me 3hours to do a set. I have been doing l&p for 11 months now, I was like you started to charge £15 then after a few months I put it up to £20. I started to do other things like Minx and Shellac, and for some reason the l&p just clicked and manage to do a full set in 1.5hours, I now charge £30.

I also feel that if you start very low, like I did people get used to the price and do not like you to increase it. They just seem to want something for nothing. If your work is good, then why not put your prices up now.

Tracie xx

I would still be interested to know what these are full sets of?? Pink and whites? One colour tip and overlay? Do tell!! :)

HI I am refering to pink and white nail enhancements. xx

aah, sorry. Well recently every customer (I have a max of 3 pw) have wanted glitter tips, l&p.

Pink & white will take me slightly less, 2 1/2hrs ish.

I wonder if theres another way of doing the glitter tips? I'm putting acrylic glitter z1, z2 & 3 purely pink masque, then capping the lot in clear. Obviously thats adding to the time, but it was the way I was told to do it, instead of just capping z1.

Gonna have a practice at sculpting today on my hand trainer, see how long that takes.

Hi Geeks,

I know how you feel It used to take me 3hours to do a set. I have been doing l&p for 11 months now, I was like you started to charge £15 then after a few months I put it up to £20. I started to do other things like Minx and Shellac, and for some reason the l&p just clicked and manage to do a full set in 1.5hours, I now charge £30.

I also feel that if you start very low, like I did people get used to the price and do not like you to increase it. They just seem to want something for nothing. If your work is good, then why not put your prices up now.

Tracie xx

When did you become Beautification? lol

It is just practise, I personally love doing glitter ones, they seem to take me less time, because the smile line seem to be easier to do, then the white smile line. Everyone is different though.
The only advice I could give with the glitter, is use one brust just for the glitter, I do all the smile lines first, then use another brush for zne 2&3.

xxx

I have the same problem, the standard of my nails are great and everyone loves them but they take me 2.5 hours! sometimes 3! :(

Hi Beautification.

When I registered on to SG, I just put in Tracie130178. I then decided to set up a Website, obviously can not use Tracie131078 lol. So had to think of a name and decided to use Beautificationbytracie. I know there are already loads of (Beautification) but it does sound lovely, So used that. Im sorry you are not the only Beautification ;-) xxx

My 2 1/2 hours is just for tips with one colour overlay (shocking I know!!)

No it's not shocking, You will gragually get quicker. Least if you are taking 2.5hrs, you are taking pride in your work and get clients back. A good client will come back even if it does take you a long time to do them,if they know your work is good and also if you have a good personality,and have a good chin wag at the same time lol. xxx

Hey all,

I too am having this wee trauma at the moment and I am not doing enhancements, just natuaral nail treatments ( Gelish ) but it's taking me easily 1.5 hrs for single colour and nearly 2 for french !!! LOL OMG !!

However, I am SUCH A GOSSIP, I am also doing friends and friends of friends of at the moment while I learn my craft. I find that I really really enjoy carrying out my treatment and get carried away with the "social" side of things!! :grr::grr: But, I am learning and I am perfectionist and best of all...... have no complaint yet from any of my loverly guinea pig ladies...

I am a firm believer people will come to you for two reasons the BIGGEST your ability to talk and put them at ease and make them feel special and welcome and a very very very close second, your skill and expertise. The second of which we can learn and perfect with training and practice the first we are gifted with !!

So my mantra at the moment, is enjoy it and make it perfect with practice practice practice....

:hug: Claire xx

Latest posts

Back