Sunbed whilst pregnant!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saira23

Reaction score
What is everyone's rules on using sunbed whilst pregnant?

I personally would refuse someone who told me they were pregnant. Researched online and found the heat can cause complications, rather than UV.

What would you guys do if you thought somebody was pregnant but they didn't tell you?

It's such a difficult area as I know some salons let pregnant customers on. I couldn't think of anything worse!!

Personally I wouldn't use a sunbed whilst pregnant, i worry a lot and do everything as I should when I am pregnant.
Although I do know people that have used sunbeds whilst pregnant to help there 'pregnancy acne'

If I did own/rub a salon with sunbeds, I personally wouldn't let pregnant ladies use them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't let a pregnant woman use a sunbed if I ran a salon. I would rather lose a client than risk something going wrong and being faced with a court case and a lifetime of guilt.

I think it's terrible that people who are
Obviously pregnant (showing etc) are allowed by salons to use sunbeds but surely it's the woman's problem if she wants to be that stupid and as long as signs are in place (posters etc) then not much else can be done?
Also think it's ridiculous how people justify it by saying it's for acne etc, I suffered with severe dermatitus with both my pregnancies and I wouldn't dream of going on a bed. Pregnancy isn't always pretty just get on with it lol x

its ...as always ..best to act on the side of caution on these things....I would suggest that you possibly include the question on your consultation cards ...just to properly cover you

On the issue of possible harm a good port of call to get clarification on this would be to contact the sunbed association who im sure would give you good guidance

Can I ask what everyone thinks will happen if a pregnant woman goes on the sunbed?

I'm 24 weeks pregnant and although i have not had a sunbed since i found out i had about 3/4 a week before i knew. I mentioned this to the doctor and was told it was fine and not a risk, except for the obvious risks associated with sunbeds and these would not affect the baby.

what does your insurance say re pregnancy and sunbeds?

Isnt it up to the pregnant lady what they do? Im 38 weeks pregnant and am missing the sunbeds lol, but wouldnt use one, but also there isnt anything that says there is a risk to pregnant ladies on sunbeds is there? X

I used sunbeds whilst pregnant. I was young (23). It was in a shop I worked in at the time and I used to put a thick towel under and over my stomach/baby area.
I wouldn't do it now if I were pregnant. I'm older (39). But to be honest, it would be more because I'd be judged for doing so. We are also more aware than ever the damage sunbeds can cause if not used responsibly.
If I owned a shop containing a sunbed then there is absolutely no way I would let someone knowingly who was pregnant use a sunbed as the insurance is likely not to cover you. You also must always take responsibility for your clients welfare. Never let clients talk you into allowing something you aren't comfortable. You must also think of the reputation of your business.

Can I ask what everyone thinks will happen if a pregnant woman goes on the sunbed?

I'm 24 weeks pregnant and although i have not had a sunbed since i found out i had about 3/4 a week before i knew. I mentioned this to the doctor and was told it was fine and not a risk, except for the obvious risks associated with sunbeds and these would not affect the baby.

what does your insurance say re pregnancy and sunbeds?

Research has shown no proven link between UV harming the baby. It's more in regards to the heat of the sunbed which can cause complications.

As a tanning salon owner, I have been approached by a pregnant customer who asked if they could still use it. I straight away, without hesitation, said no. I've been asked this twice and both times, customers have not used my Sunbeds but there's nothing stopping them going elsewhere? One of the ladies sadly lost her baby and I couldn't help but think, if I would of allowed her to go on, she wouldn't think twice about blaming us.

If you thought somebody looked pregnant, would you approach them about it? I haven't been put in the position before but I'm surprised how common it is for people to use the Sunbed whilst pregnant!

Latest posts

Back