Swarovski and Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolly22

Reaction score
Hello geekies. Sorry I know this has been asked a million times but I did search and couldn't find specific answers.

I am hopefully going I start doing these pedicures and bought the stones to try on my own nails.

I use shellac and was wondering how to do it best with Shellac? Should I put the stones into uncured shellac and cure and then topcoat or put them onto the tacky layer then topcoat?

Which of these methods have you guys tried and found successful? I am wanting to do a full Swarovski ring finger tomorrow to try my stones out.

Thanks again.

Ps baggybear if you see this I'm sorry for another swarovski thread! I seen you reply to them all whilst searching!

Last edited:
I have yet to use Shellac for this service but have done lots with Bio Sculpture.

I would be inclined to do the same process as for Bio and set them into uncured Shellac as the tacky layer is just not going to be strong enough to hold the stones securely.

xx

Ok that's what I will do. So put my colour down first and then set it into uncured top coat do you think?

I hope it does hold as bio is stronger than shellac is it not?

I really didn't want to be faffing about with glue if I didn't have to. Thanks Jac :) x

Oh an would you work from the free edge down? That's what I was planning on doing.

Lolly whenever I use gems or swarovski crystals with shellac I apply them to my last colour colour coat then cure. Then top coat, I find they hold better this way. I've never done a full nail or toe yet though.

I've always lost a gem or two as well, so have clients so I'm not convinced that offering swarovski manis or pedis with shellac is a wise idea. I'm going to grab some soak of gel next time I need products and try it out. Xxx

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using SalonGeek

Hi,

I use Geleration at my salon for the crystals and we do 2 layers of white so cure one coat then add the crystals on second 2 cure then finish.

We find the white help disguise when the odd few full out so it will still look full after 3-4 weeks

Hth

Louise

Hmmm I see. I am probably best with some sort of gel.

I will try it out and see how I get on. X

Hmmm I see. I am probably best with some sort of gel.

I will try it out and see how I get on. X

You can do a class with CND on how to a Shellac Swarovski crystal pedicure. The crystals really do stay on well, nothing ever lasts on my toenails but they stayed on me fine for weeks! It's a great class, lots of fun and you learn some really good tricks x

Thank you Andrea. I will look into this aswell :) x

I put them onto the tacky layer with shellac, they stay absolutely fine, never had any problems and if one is placed wrong you can easily move it without messing up your colour. I then do two coats of top coat. Never had any problems, they are still on 5 weeks later when they come back to have re-done. xx

I apply over shellac or acrylic but set in resin, they don't budge, no topcoat needed, I do this on fingers & toes! Xx

Thank you Lisa!

I will try this but maybe set it into a layer of top coat just in case! Hopefully they will stay. X

There have been a few mentions in previous threads of how best to do a crystal pedicure with Shellac as it isn't as strong as a soak off gel or resin therfore doesn't last as well but the cost of aplication is quite high.

This was in an old post:
People on here have said they don't find Shellac to be the best thing for holding crystals on a crystal pedicure (gels and resin seem to last 6 weeks+ with very little if any crystal loss, where Shellac is approx 2 weeks but with a few crystals lost) but the method used by those who have done it with Shellac & got the best sucess is:
base, cure, colour, cure, colour, place crystals, cure, top coat & cure (some have done 2 layers of top coat).

Here is the link if you want to check out that thread:
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/166267-swarovski-crystal-prices-2.html

sorry to jump on your thread, but this is something that has had me baffled for AGES! so when doing a swarvoski (dunno how to spell it) shellac, do you actually use the swarovski crystals you get from CND as these are bl00dy pricey!!! But the ones from CND, do you just get the ONE in the pack or is it a pack of say 50?! I have NEVER understood this, so if someone is willing to answer i'd be very grateful thank you! xx

There have been a few mentions in previous threads of how best to do a crystal pedicure with Shellac as it isn't as strong as a soak off gel or resin therfore doesn't last as well but the cost of aplication is quite high.

This was in an old post:
People on here have said they don't find Shellac to be the best thing for holding crystals on a crystal pedicure (gels and resin seem to last 6 weeks+ with very little if any crystal loss, where Shellac is approx 2 weeks but with a few crystals lost) but the method used by those who have done it with Shellac & got the best sucess is:
base, cure, colour, cure, colour, place crystals, cure, top coat & cure (some have done 2 layers of top coat).

Here is the link if you want to check out that thread:
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/166267-swarovski-crystal-prices-2.html

The Shellac method taught by CND involves using a layer of GelBond at the tip of the nail - this ensures that no crystals will come off from the edge of the nail (the part that takes the most impact). Some people can get many weeks, even months out of it this way. Mine have so far been on for three weeks without losing any, and I put my toes through a lot! We also use glitter first so if you were to lose a crystal it is not noticeable.

sorry to jump on your thread, but this is something that has had me baffled for AGES! so when doing a swarvoski (dunno how to spell it) shellac, do you actually use the swarovski crystals you get from CND as these are bl00dy pricey!!! But the ones from CND, do you just get the ONE in the pack or is it a pack of say 50?! I have NEVER understood this, so if someone is willing to answer i'd be very grateful thank you! xx

Are you talking about the packs that Sweet Squared have recently started selling? If so, they are too big in my opinion to use for this. I bought mine from Creative Academy+ when doing my course but I have also bought from this site which has been recommended a few times. Sizes 5, 6 and 7 seem to be the most popular for doing this.

Scatter Crystals

sorry to jump on your thread, but this is something that has had me baffled for AGES! so when doing a swarvoski (dunno how to spell it) shellac, do you actually use the swarovski crystals you get from CND as these are ****** pricey!!! But the ones from CND, do you just get the ONE in the pack or is it a pack of say 50?! I have NEVER understood this, so if someone is willing to answer i'd be very grateful thank you! xx
For a swarovski pedicure you do use swarovski crystals, these can be bought from many places.

Personally I buy these ones:
Factory Pack Flatback Crystals, Non-Hotfix, Style 2028, SS5 (1.8mm)

S2 sell size SS9, and Ellisons sell SS7 both of which I would find too big as I prefer to use SS5.
The packs sold by S2, Ellisons and many other places are usually factory packs (1440 per pack) so although they look pricey when you know how many you get it isn't as bad as you first think :biggrin:

Are you talking about the packs that Sweet Squared have recently started selling? If so, they are too big in my opinion to use for this. I bought mine from Creative Academy+ when doing my course but I have also bought from this site which has been recommended a few times. Sizes 5, 6 and 7 seem to be the most popular for doing this.

Scatter Crystals

Yeah thats it, how many do you get in a pack then? I won't ever use them, as I use normal rhinestones, but just wondered if that extortionate price was for one crystal or a few of them? x

Just to update you all. Done two fingers today. I done my colour and placed them into an uncured layer of topcoat and topcoated one nail once and once twice.

The one I topcoated once has lost two stones already and the other one is fine although the two topcoats has compromised the shine ALOT! I am going to have to find another way. Either using some sort of resin or gel.

Bummer :( x

Yeah thats it, how many do you get in a pack then? I won't ever use them, as I use normal rhinestones, but just wondered if that extortionate price was for one crystal or a few of them? x

For a swarovski pedicure you do use swarovski crystals, these can be bought from many places.

Personally I buy these ones:
Factory Pack Flatback Crystals, Non-Hotfix, Style 2028, SS5 (1.8mm)

S2 sell size SS9, and Ellisons sell SS7 both of which I would find too big as I prefer to use SS5.
The packs sold by S2, Ellisons and many other places are usually factory packs (1440 per pack) so although they look pricey when you know how many you get it isn't as bad as you first think :biggrin:

You have asked a question had an answer then asked the same question again right underneath the answer. Not sure why you did that but the answer is highlighted and underlined again in the post above for you.

The Shellac method taught by CND involves using a layer of GelBond at the tip of the nail - this ensures that no crystals will come off from the edge of the nail (the part that takes the most impact). Some people can get many weeks, even months out of it this way. Mine have so far been on for three weeks without losing any, and I put my toes through a lot! We also use glitter first so if you were to lose a crystal it is not noticeable.

Funnily enough it's none at the tip that have came off!

I can't make it on the latest course they have on and I don't think they have a date for another one just yet.

I think I will try gluing them all in with the gel bond. Thank you :)

Latest posts

Back