Sweet Shop!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephanie_87

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

This is way way way off topic but I need some advice and thoughts and you are all people at the end of the day :)

I have my own hair salon and just near my premises a really tiny, charming little place has come up for rent. My partner wants to but a traditional sweet shop in there and work in there himself. My question is would you go to a sweet shop to buy sweets regularly? What about cupcakes aswell? Would you prefer and old fashioned style shop or a really fun colourful shop (like Wonka style)?

Thank You for your time.

100% absolutely yes!!!!! I love little traditional sweet shops, they are like magnets to me :) x

In truth I spend about £10 a week in my local one, and I also stock up on sugar free for my father in law, in prefer old fashioned, glass jars etc etc brown bags you know the sort :0)

Yes I love them there's one in Windsor that has old fashioned section and then American style sweets and its always always busy!!!x

We've got one called henleys in our town. It's always busy. It's a tiny little shop but everyone loves it xx

Aw. I so wish there was a proper sweet shop here! How amazing. Go for it! Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Yes! And it wouldbe lovely if it was old fashioned there used to be one near me that was a cafe aswell and I went in weekly to stock up on sweets xx

There is one near where I live and it is always packed! I buy sweets daily, cupcakes not so much, I would have Wonka in it as well as old time sweets x

We have one in our town and it's super cute and usually pretty busy when I walk past. I don't go in there much but now and again I do.

I love the traditional sweet shops & always go in if I see one....cupcakes might sell well too as will the american sweets (they seem to be a bit of a craze at the moment) :biggrin:

We have a traditional sweet shop, it also sells hand made choccys like the wee individual ones in thorntons
Wee oldies love them,

We live in a touristy area too so they sell few welsh gifts

Traditional all the way - I miss being a kid and getting 1/4 of sweets :Love:

Yes, a thousand times yes!!! I dont think you can go wrong. What area/type of area is the shop located in (ie tourist, residential etc)?

A traditional sweet shop is like a shiny thing to a magpie for most people, children and adults alike. Especially if the shop is cute/quaint looking. It's very easy to part people with a couple of quid here and there on an impulse purchase even in the current financial climate, actually I would say especially in the current climate where people cant afford the big purchases like cars or holidays so a bag of traditional sweets on the way home from work is a little treat in grim financial times.

I would say its important to choose your stock lines carefully and stock things you cant get readily elsewhere, I say this because there's a quaint little sweet shop in Whitby that I used to go in every time when we go to Whitby, but the last time I went in it had either changed hands or they had just changed their stock, but they were just selling the usual sort of thing you can buy in any shop or supermarket, and instead of being displayed in the cute trays and glass jars they were just in the cardboard boxes that they are supplied in. I havent been in since.

If you market it right I dont think you can go wrong really, and the profit margins in that type of business are very good. I'd do it myself but I'd end up being one of those people that has to be crane lifted out of their house!!

Thanks guys, tht has made me a lot more confident. I am a sweet addict myself but just wondered if I was a minority. Just because I would spend a fortune in a sweet shop doesn't mean other people would. But all these comments show I am not alone in my sweet tooth.:)

There is an old fashioned Sweet Shop in Woking, & it was on the BBC Breakfast programme before Christmas, showing that a small business can thrive if they choose the correct market! Check it out The sweet Gallery. You may also need to check out your competition as Mr Sims Olde sweet shop is also around your area? Will you be taking online orders too? Best of luck :)

definately go for it. I love old fashioned sweet shops, there are a couple in Leeds that i go into all the time. They sell sweets you used to get when you were kids and that you can't get in supermarkets, al stored in old fashioned glass jars too.
I don't think you could go far wrong.

Latest posts

Back